IGNORED

Ants (WIP)

atari2600land

I just tried changing the color of the picture I had. It still works. So the only reason it does is because I just happened to choose a width that was divisible by 16 (80=5x16)? No wonder this was frustrating.

Glad you got it working, but this is why there is a manual for RAPTOR :D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

In an effort to keep this very cool project alive, I am now working on this project in collaboration with atari2600land.

With that being said, here is an update to the project.

ants.rom

The game currently runs MUCH better and faster on real hardware VS emulation.

Skunk users load this with the flash option via JCP (no jiffi here)

So far the only changes to the game I have made are cosmetic. The list of things to do is as follows:

* Add health system similar to that of JagZombies (no more insta-death)

* Add many more ants as you progress through the rounds

* Animations for the hand when bitten by the fire ants (throbbing finger) and sudden freeze in controls

* Add a minimum amount of ants to be killed per round in order to progress example= ANTS KILLED 5/6 ect...

* Add various powerups along the way.

I will update again in the future when there is something more impressive to show.

I look forward to making this already awesome concept even cooler!

ENJOY

• Like 5

Best of luck in making something you're happy with guys. Also, does this remind anyone else of the fly swatting mini game in Mario Paint?

It's funny you should mention the fly swatting game from Mario Paint. I have thought about that ever since he first came up with the idea for Ants. I actually just mentioned I would like to do a similar game to that when we were discussing me working on the project. Man I used to love playing that little game with my SNES mouse. I haven't played it since all the way back in the day. Didn't it have a giant fly boss at some point?

Will you be adding different insects and levels?

Yes. I included a bmp of level 2. I plan on adding scorpions snails and exploding ants. Exploding ants will flash red indicating they are about to blow. If your arm is too close to one when it goes its instant death

I havent decided what purpose the snails will have. Perhaps invincibility. The scorpions will be another instant death. Im still debating other insects

Im open to suggestions for the different incects!

• Like 1

Instead of snails, you should have centipedes. Snails have a shell.

Thats true, so it would be rather difficult to actually squish them. Centipedes would require multiple squishes..... But I suppose a snail would also require multiple squishes due to the shell....

Bees, Fire ants, Scorpions and exploding ants will all cause damage to the player. I kind of want to use an insect (or slug or whatever) to cause something positive to happen in the gameplay, other than just a score increase. The problem is I cant think of what that positive thing should be. That's why I suggested temporary invincibility from a snail..... But that doesn't really make much sense does it? I do have a bug bomb aerosol can that will pop up at random that you can press the switch on and that will take everything on screen out, but thats not a bug. I want a bug to do something special too! Ideas? What about a stink bug that you squish and it shoots out a green mist killing any ants that are in range?

If nothing else I could still add a centipede for multiple kills/scores

Thats true, so it would be rather difficult to actually squish them. Centipedes would require multiple squishes..... But I suppose a snail would also require multiple squishes due to the shell....

Bees, Fire ants, Scorpions and exploding ants will all cause damage to the player. I kind of want to use an insect (or slug or whatever) to cause something positive to happen in the gameplay, other than just a score increase. The problem is I cant think of what that positive thing should be. That's why I suggested temporary invincibility from a snail..... But that doesn't really make much sense does it? I do have a bug bomb aerosol can that will pop up at random that you can press the switch on and that will take everything on screen out, but thats not a bug. I want a bug to do something special too! Ideas? What about a stink bug that you squish and it shoots out a green mist killing any ants that are in range?

If nothing else I could still add a centipede for multiple kills/scores

When invincible, maybe the player can squish the bees, scorpions, etc., for bonus points? You know, like when Pac-Man eats a power pellete and has a few brief moments to clear the board of ghosts. This would ramp up the challenge, and it would also reward the player for taking more risks.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1

When invincible, maybe the player can squish the bees, scorpions, etc., for bonus points? You know, like when Pac-Man eats a power pellete and has a few brief moments to clear the board of ghosts. This would ramp up the challenge, and it would also reward the player for taking more risks.

Edited for spelling.

Still gotta figure out WHAT will make the player invincible. I dont think a snail should do it. An oven mitt? A Michael Jakson glove? A finger puppet?

I just dont know.

Still gotta figure out WHAT will make the player invincible. I dont think a snail should do it. An oven mitt? A Michael Jakson glove? A finger puppet?

I just dont know.

What about a can of bug spray? As soon as the hand touches the can, it becomes invincible.

Edit: Second idea - why not a fly swatter? The player can use it to kill everything on screen for a short amount of time? It doesnt necessarily have to be something the hand wears.

Edited by ColecoGamer