IGNORED

programming with Wudsn

where do i start? i FINALLY managed to update java to 1.6.0 (thanks to the idiots at microsoft)

Why are you blaming Microsoft? Java is made by Oracle.

If you're going to us WUDSN, you're going to need Eclipse's IDE (A programing environment). Here is the link to the 64bit Java IDE. I'm assuming you're using WIndows 10 64bit but the 32bit one will work just as well if you don't.

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/neon/3/eclipse-java-neon-3-win32-x86_64.zip

You just need to unzip the files to some directory and run the exe. No installation needed because Eclipse using Java and you have already installed that. Since you installed Java 1.6, which is quite old since they're going to be releasing Java 1.9 pretty soon, you might run into issue. I'm not going to say that's the case, just a possible outcome. The good news is you can have multiple version of Java on your system. You just need to make sure you define which version of Java you want to that application to run under.

Consider upgrading your Java to latest update of 1.8.

I also hope you are able to distinguish Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from Java Development Kit (JDK).

JRE allows you to run programs written in Java (same as installing .net runtime or Visual C++ runtime). JDK allows you to develop and run programs written in Java (same as installing Visual Studio).

For running Eclipse, I would recommend installing JDK. It is provided as a self-contained installer and you will probably need it to run Eclipse anyway.

• Like 1

He just wants to use WUDSN so the jre is fine. If he was planning on developing in Java, yes, using the JDK would be correct. At this point I haven't gotten an answer as to his technical knowledge so these suggestions might just be over his head.

OK, that's a different issue.

But as a Mac user, I would still need Eclipse and AFAIK that needs JDK.

Well, OP is Windows user, so that would be OK for him.

We're splitting hairs here but for correctness here is a line from the Eclipse website.

"Installing Eclipse is relatively easy, but does involve a few steps and software from at least two different sources. Eclipse is a Java-based application and, as such, requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) in order to run."

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse/Installation#Eclipse_4.6_.28Neon.29

We're splitting hairs here but for correctness here is a line from the Eclipse website.

"Installing Eclipse is relatively easy, but does involve a few steps and software from at least two different sources. Eclipse is a Java-based application and, as such, requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) in order to run."

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse/Installation#Eclipse_4.6_.28Neon.29

Yes, and there is also an offline installer even for the JRE (saves trouble with the online one), so my recommendation to install JDK is misguided twice :_(.

• 3 weeks later...