IGNORED

XEGS shows black screen, troubleshooting tips?

The last time I had an XEGS with this problem, it turned out to be bad RAM and a bad CPU. I think the machine had been used with the wrong power supply.

Thanks! I'll get replacement RAM and some sockets. The CPU is not a standard 6502, right? I would need a replacement from another 8-bit?

Thanks! I'll get replacement RAM and some sockets. The CPU is not a standard 6502, right? I would need a replacement from another 8-bit?

The "Sally" 6502 variant used in the Atari computers is slightly different from a standard 6502. Hopefully you won't need one, but if you do, they're not hard to find; B&C ComputerVisions sells them for $5 $8 each.

The "Sally" 6502 variant used in the Atari computers is slightly different from a standard 6502. Hopefully you won't need one, but if you do, they're not hard to find; B&C ComputerVisions sells them for $5 each.

ICG004   RAM 256K 150NS (SET OF 8)41256  25.00
ICA377   800 CPU 6502                    5.00

Thanks again. Those are the RAM and CPU that will work in the XEGS?

I might have been mistaken ... the CPU you quoted is the original Atari 800 CPU, which (IIRC) is a standard 6502. The CPU used in the XL and XE machines (the "Sally") is $8 instead of $5. Also, the RAM you quoted is 1-bit DRAM, the type used in the 800XL, while the XEGS uses 4-bit DRAM (that's why it only has two RAM chips instead of eight). I believe these are the correct parts:

ICG464 RAM 41464 4X64K DRAM 5.00

ICA806 XL CPU 8.00

(Of course, you'll want to contact them and find out for sure. Best Electronics is another source that should have what you need.)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So. I finally got around to socketing and replacing the RAM, but I cracked C20 in the process. I assumed it is a filter cap, so not critical. Still black screen. I have a replacement CPU, but I'm not certain which 40-pin DIP is the CPU.

Can anyone tell me the specs on C20 and which chip is the CPU?