IGNORED

CX40 to 7800 conversion

Zonie

I decided to upgrade "old faithful" to dual button for 7800 duty. I didn't do as nice a job as I did on my "NesTari" stick as I used an off the shelf panel mount button instead of a PCB mounted button with a NES button top on it, but it works, and looks so-so. I originally modded this with the ball back in the very early 80's.

gallery_3653_1328_1000419.jpg

• Like 3

I think it looks pretty darn good (even if I am not a fan of the ball top).

There wasn't enough room to put it under and to the left of the stock button huh? That would have allowed for your thumb to hit both without moving it completely. Shoot, now I want to try this!

It's a good spot. My NEStari stick has it this way, although sexier. On that one, I drilled a hole in the PCB and Mounted one of those little Radio shack buttons and put the NES button top actuator above it. Was very iffy to get it all lined up. I got lucky...

One of theoe would probably fit there, but they are tiny.

02751548_01_077817ff-bbc6-47f4-9e86-12f2

On the Ball top, This one is shorter, and very very loose, so it all just works. I have had this one since day one. It was one of my original sticks that came with my Heavy Sixer. I'm probably going to swap the wooden painted ball for a plastic one. This one is a woodcraft ball with a flat bottom and a 1/2-20 bolt screwed into it and then that screws into the white inner stick.

gallery_3653_1328_65941.jpggallery_3653_1328_1000419.jpg

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 3

The Board in the NES controller is just the standard CX-40 with a hole drilled in it under the second button to hold the switch. I took a board out of a NES pad and cut it down as small as I could and just tucked it in there. Schematic? I didn't do one, I just wired the appropriate buttons to the button pads on the NES board.

The two little black ones are select and start.

I made this before the games in a stick came out, had they come out earlier, I probably would have hacked one of those since there were already buttons on the side.

I had to get a NES cord anyway, so basically All the parts including the button top came from a donor nes controller that I paid $4 for at a used book store.

I'll try to get to taking it apart this weekend and post a photo without it's guts exploding all over the bench. ;) .

Edited by Zonie

Actually, I'm interested in what you did to convert the CX-40 2600 joystick to a two-button 7800 one. (the one on the right in your pics)

Did you use the standard 2600 board and modify it?

Did you use a 7800 board and fit it in the CX-40 case?

Also, did you use a 7800 cord to get all the pin functionality outputted?

Thanks!

Ahh, Sorry. I took a cord from a donor Proline including the resistors since I was pretty much trashing the proline anyway. I just wired it up according to the schematic below. I just used heat shrink tubing over the resistors.

post-10599-0-72442100-1371252268.png

After spending a lot of time playing recently, I've come to the conclusion that I like using the CX40s more than the any of the gamepads or joysticks I've modded or built. I like what you've come up with here! :thumbsup:

My only change might be the placement of the second button. I feel like having it in the front of the controller so I can use my finger to press it, might be more comfortable for me. I have short thumbs. :_( (After typing that, I decided to look at my thumbs and it turns out they are actually the same length as my index finger.) :? For some reason though, I just can't reach that far past the original button. Sorry, I'm rambling. Anyway, great mod!

I considered the front of the controller also. These buttons are shallow enough to make it work. If you make the hole tight enough you can leave the nut off the back. Lets you put it closer to the edge.

The Joystick has a smaller one than the asteroids controller.

Linky:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUHBV40/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61cGr9zR57L._SL1100_.jpg

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 1