IGNORED

Online Atari sale ... didn't go as planned.

awhite2600

I just wanted to share a story that happened to me over the weekend.

I noticed an ad about a week ago on a local buy / sell site. The poster claimed to have an Atari console and 24 games. He was looking for a price suggestion as he had no idea what to ask. What caught my attention was the only picture in the ad - a heavy sixer box. The address in the ad is also less than a 5 minute drive from my home.

I contacted the seller and offered my assistance in determining a price. He asked me to drop by on Saturday. I was prepared to offer a fair price if he had a heavy sixer in good condition.

When I got there I was directed the garage. I saw the heavy sixer box from the ad. The seller pointed to another box and said, "the games are in there". In the box were about four common 2600 games and a bunch of Intellivision games in a couple of organizers. I looked in the Atari box but found only a few dirty joysticks. I asked about a system. The seller said, "it's under the games". And what did I find? A grungy Intellivision System III. No heavy sixer.

The seller told me that he was selling everything for a friend. I told him he could try to get $50 for everything. I advised him to post another ad with more pictures. He didn't even seem to care when I explained that the box and system / games did not go together.

I've run into sellers like this recently. One seller had a Vader and listed it as AV modded with power LED. The photo clearly showed it had no mods. I told her about it and she didn't change the listing or email me back. Another seller listed a CX40 joystick as a CX10. I emailed him and explained how to tell the difference, same result as the other seller. The last one I saw was for a light sixer. The guy used a stock photo (not a very good one) and a buy it now price of $500 with no information about the console or what came with it. I thought it was a joke, so I emailed him and asked him if he was kidding. never got a reply, but when I looked on eBay last night, I didn't see that listing anymore. A lot of sellers are uninformed when it comes to the things they are selling and most don't care about the buyer. They just want to make some money and that's all. If they can stretch the truth and get more cash, they do.

• Like 2

Old video games are looked at by most of the general public and just old trash. He is just someone who doesn't care what it is, he probably just wanted to get rid of it.

Assuming that someone with an Atari(or what he thinks is an Atari) at a lawn sale would even give a shit about what he was selling is hopeful thinking.

• Like 1

On the local Kijiji a seller advertised an Atari 2600 that from the pictures was clearly a Sega Genesis Model 2 with two Golf games. I messaged him to help him out and his succinct reply was "Yeah?". That was three weeks ago and it's still up and advertised as an Atari. Oh and to cap off this lovely story, he wants $150 for it.

This is just said.. but even most said is it's not surprising to me at all..

A few years back I answered a kijiji ad for an Atari 2600 Jr the was "in great shape" when I go there I couldn't test it because the seller didn't have the power supply. Never did go in his apartment, met me as soon as I got out of the elevator. It didn't look bad and had a off brand joystick and Frogger with it.. so I gambled $25.

Frogger did work ok, the joystick while no prize worked also.. the 2600 Jr itself was another matter. it'd only come on if you messed with the power switch and other switches where bad too. So I opened it to work on it to find the insides was cover on Coke or something equally gross.. If i had it to do over I'd scrapped it, but I decided to clean it and replace the switches (took a lot of looking but found new exact replacements) I actually waters everything in the kitchen sink and use contact cleaner to get it cleaned up.. but the I did something that had caused me pain ever since. I shaked the excess water and contact cleaner off the board for leaving it to try. something went wrong in my right hand and since my right thumb and first 2 fingers have become more then half numb, some times even worse with a feeling of high pressure in it, leaving it hard and often painful to due much with my right hand, even getting out change when shopping is a challenge since i can't feel the coins. I finally got my doc to send me to seen about it and will be tested be a neurologist in August... which will probably lead to surgery.. all because I tried to clean a 2600Jr somebody lied about the condition of..

There is a guy selling a colecovision as an atari here. Send him a note, no change...

Pretty sure I know the ad you're describing unfortunately:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/258474527/

I find ignorance on the seller's part can be a positive in that they don't know what they have and are selling it cheap, but more often than not its the opposite and they want way more than what is reasonable.

I've run into sellers like this recently. One seller had a Vader and listed it as AV modded with power LED. The photo clearly showed it had no mods. I told her about it and she didn't change the listing or email me back. ....

Old video games are looked at by most of the general public and just old trash. He is just someone who doesn't care what it is, he probably just wanted to get rid of it.

The majority of people in the world know nothing about video games and see no reason to educate themselves. I'm shocked the seller didn't call it a Nintendo.

This guy wasn't trying to scam anyone. His ad wasn't so much an offer for sale as it was a request for advice. I tried to provide some clear, summary advice to allow him to sell what he had. The guy just seemed to be completely disinterested but did thank me for helping when I left.

The funniest part was that in the five minutes that I was there the seller kept doing other things in his garage. It reminded me of those Law & Order episodes where the cops show up to question someone and the suspect just "goes about their business" while being interviewed.

The ad has been removed. I don't see a repost with more pictures or a better description. Garbage day in the area is today. I wonder if everything gone.

Yeah, "Tapes" is what my buddy's parents always called 2600 carts. Funny thing, the Tapes that radio stations used to (still use?) for commercials are basically 8-track tapes and they called them "carts."

Go figure.

I've replied and made offers to stuff on offer-up recently, but same thing, people don't know what they have (the CV labeled as an Atari) or a bag of carts I just got for $10 which included deadly duck, a pristine Combat which I took apart for my Defend your Castle board and labels kit (The best way to buy home brews) and a bunch of GBA games that I resold for $10. The worst part of it is I drove across town, and the kid was late, and didn't come out to the parking lot until sent him an email saying I was here... Another guy accepted an offer, and then went dark on when and where to meet. WTF is wrong with people these days?

This is just said.. but even most said is it's not surprising to me at all..

A few years back I answered a kijiji ad for an Atari 2600 Jr the was "in great shape" when I go there I couldn't test it because the seller didn't have the power supply. Never did go in his apartment, met me as soon as I got out of the elevator. It didn't look bad and had a off brand joystick and Frogger with it.. so I gambled $25.

Frogger did work ok, the joystick while no prize worked also.. the 2600 Jr itself was another matter. it'd only come on if you messed with the power switch and other switches where bad too. So I opened it to work on it to find the insides was cover on Coke or something equally gross.. If i had it to do over I'd scrapped it, but I decided to clean it and replace the switches (took a lot of looking but found new exact replacements) I actually waters everything in the kitchen sink and use contact cleaner to get it cleaned up.. but the I did something that had caused me pain ever since. I shaked the excess water and contact cleaner off the board for leaving it to try. something went wrong in my right hand and since my right thumb and first 2 fingers have become more then half numb, some times even worse with a feeling of high pressure in it, leaving it hard and often painful to due much with my right hand, even getting out change when shopping is a challenge since i can't feel the coins. I finally got my doc to send me to seen about it and will be tested be a neurologist in August... which will probably lead to surgery.. all because I tried to clean a 2600Jr somebody lied about the condition of..

That almost sounds like chronic regional pain syndrome but I have no clue. My wife had it in her ankle and was told it could last a year, or a lifetime after spraining her ankle, and basically what the syndrome is, is the bodies over reaction to an injury, even though it was healed the body was treating it as it wasn't. It took a very long time but she is walking now and still has trouble out of her ankle some times. Doctor's told her that they still don't have a full understanding of the syndrome and why some people get that but people just get it for various different reasons and sometimes just a small simple injury.

That almost sounds like chronic regional pain syndrome but I have no clue. My wife had it in her ankle and was told it could last a year, or a lifetime after spraining her ankle, and basically what the syndrome is, is the bodies over reaction to an injury, even though it was healed the body was treating it as it wasn't. It took a very long time but she is walking now and still has trouble out of her ankle some times. Doctor's told her that they still don't have a full understanding of the syndrome and why some people get that but people just get it for various different reasons and sometimes just a small simple injury.

I never lost flexibility in my hand, it just feels half asleep/numb and when I get using it a lot pressure, some time I'll feel the muscles or whatever pop when i turn and move certain ways. I bought a power screwdriver a couple years ago that's been an big help. but it's weird getting change out of my wallet and I can't feel the coins.. I have some trouble with some joysticks too. I find a Slik Stik one of the better ones for me or a generic clone of Genisis controller.

Hope I'm not hijacking thread, I just wanted to point out how things can get off track...

I never lost flexibility in my hand, it just feels half asleep/numb and when I get using it a lot pressure, some time I'll feel the muscles or whatever pop when i turn and move certain ways. I bought a power screwdriver a couple years ago that's been an big help. but it's weird getting change out of my wallet and I can't feel the coins.. I have some trouble with some joysticks too. I find a Slik Stik one of the better ones for me or a generic clone of Genisis controller.

Hope I'm not hijacking thread, I just wanted to point out how things can get off track...

My fingers get numb sometimes after extensive bike riding. This is caused because I am placing my entire upper body weight on my lower palms for most of the duration of the ride. I installed "bull horn" bars on my mountain bike which helps, but I only ride on the top bars when cruising because I can't reach the gears or brakes from that hand position. Getting off the bicycle and it goes away within minutes. Same with using a mouse or game controller for too long. Best to listen to your body and take braeks so you don't get permanent RMI (repetitive motion injury).

I am sorry about your loss of neural sensation, but blaming it on the Atari you were cleaning out is a bit much. You would likely have tinkered with something else and caused the same injury. Also Cola is nothing. Try cleaning out 22 year old crusty alkaline battery corrosion (use by date: 1994) from an old Lynx with distilled vinegar and a toothbrush. I eventually got a working Lynx in great cosmetic condition externally and even the battery bay has shiny contacts now.

Technically correct. In Japan, Famicom and other systems game carts are known as "cassettes." :P

That was my understanding too. I thought "Cassette" just indicates a small plastic box, no matter if it contains a tape reel or a circuit board (altough it's most commonly used to indicate cassette tapes).

At least, that's how it is in Italian. Many official Atari instructions manuals (especially older ones ) use the term "cassetta" (cassette), while "cartuccia" (cartridge) seems to be more common in later ones.

post-10599-0-66208000-1496311560_thumb.jpgpost-10599-0-28727200-1496311573_thumb.jpgpost-10599-0-60336500-1496311596_thumb.jpgpost-10599-0-70419300-1496311628_thumb.jpg

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 2

"cassette" or "cartridge" refers to the housing, be it 8-track, cassette tape, video game, or even cards in some cases. Unlike floppies, the housing is rigid, or CDs and records where the media has no housing.

Now referring to games as tapes when they're PCB based, or disk/disc when they aren't on a floppy or CDROM, is misconstrued.

Yeah, "Tapes" is what my buddy's parents always called 2600 carts. Funny thing, the Tapes that radio stations used to (still use?) for commercials are basically 8-track tapes and they called them "carts."

Go figure.

I did radio both in high school and college (it was going to be my career until my inevitable disillusionment). This actually makes sense, because you have to specify format or nobody knows what you're really talking about. We also had reels of different sizes and cassettes. So if you just said "tape", the response would almost always be "what kind of tape?"

I am sorry about your loss of neural sensation, but blaming it on the Atari you were cleaning out is a bit much. You would likely have tinkered with something else and caused the same injury. Also Cola is nothing. Try cleaning out 22 year old crusty alkaline battery corrosion (use by date: 1994) from an old Lynx with distilled vinegar and a toothbrush. I eventually got a working Lynx in great cosmetic condition externally and even the battery bay has shiny contacts now.

It did happened while cleaning the 2600 Jr., it's just one of those freak things that go wrong sometimes. Would I clean up another abuised Atari in the furure, probably, but with far more cauation..

It did happened while cleaning the 2600 Jr., it's just one of those freak things that go wrong sometimes. Would I clean up another abuised Atari in the furure, probably, but with far more cauation..

Unlike the other guy I believe you. If you were shaking violently enough trying to get all the water out, just depends on how hard you shook the thing. If you do clean another one in the future instead of shaking it, use compressed air to get the water out. I do that and then put them in an oven. I use the keep warm setting on mine and it doesn't get too hot on that setting I also have the elements blocked by pan so when it cycles back on nothing can get damaged. Been doing it that years no ill effects.