IGNORED

I thought the magazines at archive.org might be safe to link to

I thought the magazines at archive.org might be safe to link to, but random issues of Electronic Games magazine are disappearing. I keep getting "The item you have requested has a problem with one or more of the metadata files that describe it, which prevents us from displaying this page."

I signed up at archive.org just so I could contact them and they said the issues have been removed due to rights issues. I thought most things posted at archive.org were basically illegal, but since it's kind of like a library, nobody complains. I have all of the issues of Electronic Games on my computer and many physical copies on my shelf, but that doesn't help anyone else who might want to see an advertisement or a video game review.

Look at this:

In general, works published after 1977 will not fall into the public domain until 70 years after the death of author, or, for corporate works, anonymous works, or works for hire, 95 years from the date of publication or 120 years from the date of creation, whichever expires first.
Public Domain Frequently Asked Questions | Teaching Copyright

We're probably not going to be alive over 70 years from now (unless disclosure day happens soon). Haven't the people who made these long-dead magazines collected all of the money they're ever going to make from them? The only people this helps are greedy eBay users. The creators of the magazines aren't going to get a dime, so why not allow them to be shown online for all to see before the people who are interested in video game history from the 1980s are all dead?

RetroMags is fighting the good fight in the meantime.

Digital Press has a nice archive, too. http://www.digitpress.com/library/magazines/electronic_games/electronic_games.htm

It's nice that we can download the PDF files, but the great thing about archive.org is that you can send people to a specific page. The average person who is just barely interested isn't going to download a PDF file, open it in a buggy reader, then scroll down to page 55. But like I said, it's still nice that the PDF files are online for those of us who will download them.

• Like 1