IGNORED

HSC14 Round 10: New Games & Season Catch-up

NEW GAMES & Season Catch-Up

3 Week Round ending June 25th 10AM UK Time :arrow: extended to 30th June

NEW GAMES

Rules: Play any games from 2016 or 2017 for 1pt each. As many as you like. You must play each game properly and comment on each game, say 1 line of text for each.

Restrictions for Top 5 players: Top 2 players are limited to 15pts and just in case anyone goes crazy, other top 5 players will capped at the score of the top player in the current standings at the end of the round including points from catch-up below...

Links: [will be updated as we go]

Fandal's great Atari site will have almost everything - just scroll down the news page (click "news archive button for older stuff") there is an update each month with the links.

Some recommendations:

- Bosconian (wip)

- Dimo's Quest (abbuc 2016)

- SkyScraper (abbuc 2016)

- Dye (abbuc 2016)

- Rain of Terror (abbuc 2016) new boxed version available. Great game :thumbsup:

- NOMAM 10 Liners 2017 (requires BASIC enabling under emulation). More info on post #10

- Wap-niak 2017 Games from Poland, more info on atarionline

-

CATCH-UP MISSED ROUNDS & IMPROVE SCORES

If you missed any rounds 1-9 or want to improve your scores just post ON THIS THREAD and you can amass points based on how you would have done, or for improved places.

Join In, have fun and let's see what the loyal Atari community have been up to. If you need any help just ask :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next Pro© Atari Magazine should be soon; there's time for anyone to make a submission review or whatever, just send me a message :)

Edited by therealbountybob
Extended until 30th June
  • Like 3

Some sort of scoreboards!!

Games listed in order played, scores in brackets indicate games from previous rounds

* Scoring Restrictions apply - see 1st post for details!!

Deteacher 2pts
Time Pilot
Bosconian

McKong 41pts (*will confirm pts at end)
SpyCat
Time Runner (19,899) [R9] 5pts
Kaverns of Khafka (175,983) [R8] 4pts
Tree Surgeon (5,630) [R8] 1pt
Snokie (12,280) [R9] 6pts
BlowSub
Flak (29,800) [R9] 4pts
Spare Change (217,200 Lv6) [R7] 3pts
Sky Scraper
Dimo's Dungeon
Zoo Food
Zombie Attack
Sabateur
Rat Catcher
Grim Ritual
Grav Zoo
Gun Fright
Get Up
E-Type
Vox Regis
Time Pilot
Crazy Cat
Black Rescue

Trbb 15pts *
Rain of Terror
Bosconian
Time Pilot
Crazy Cat
Podskoczek
Vox Regis
Nomam 2017: Various including Kaverns of Kfest and Etch-a-Sketch!
Hot & Cold Adventure
Space Fortress Omega (abbuc)
Spy Cat
E-Type
Hero 2016
Dimo's Dungeon
Name that Game
Atascii Blaster
Get Up!
Skyscraper

Black Rescue
Crazy Egon 2
Joe Painter 2
Space Fortress Omega (wip)

slx 24pts
BlowSub
5.Dots
Manic Miner
Sarepska
Twin Cars
Bobby Bearing
Time Pilot
Cyctricks
Grim Ritual
Muxeso (supports multijoy)
Warsaw City
Wytyczne rybne
Bosconian
Pang
Antic Picross
Arion Line
Atari Blast
Atascii Blaster
Diamondz
Dimo's Dungeon
Dye
Gunfright
Kaverns of Kfest
Skyscraper

RedThunder 1pt
Dimo's Quest

devwebcl 5pts
Bosconian
Time Pilot
Skyscraper
Dye
Pang

erichenneke 2pts
Bosconian
Space Fortress Omega (abbuc)

carlsson 38pts
Atascii Blaster
At Arion Line
Black Rescue
BlowSub
Bosconian
Codeman
Crazy Cat
CX2626 Minature Golf
Cyclotriks
Dimo's Dungeon
Donkey Kong Jr (Enhanced)
Dye
GetUp!
GravZoo
Grim Ritual
Hot & Cold Adventure
Laura
Mini Slots
Much Blastez
Muxeso
Nessie
Podskoczek
Ratcatcher
Saboteur
Sarepska
Skyscraper
Snowplow
Spy Cat
The Monk
Time Pilot
Twin Cars
Udders
Warsaw City
Wytyczne rybne
Zombie Attack
Zoo Food
Antic Picross II

Sikor 13pts
Bosconian
BlowSub
Podskoczek
Nessie

Crazy Cat
Dimo's Dungeon
Dye
Hot & Cold Adventure
Pang
Skyscraper
Time Pilot
Vox Regis
Zoo Food

• Like 1

I'll start this round off with the 2017 release of Time Pilot (off the Fandal site): 63,300!

post-9712-0-21699600-1496579474.png

Pros: It's a very good port of the original. Controls are very responsive. Feels and plays just like the original. Sounds are as spot on as can be.

Cons: There are some things missing, like the guided missiles in the chopper and jet fighter levels. Also did not see the formations that accompany the paratroopers. As a result, the game is relatively easy to complete. I got past the UFOs on the 2nd try.

I would like to see the resolution be a little smaller, too. Seems way too big for the screen. Finally, the high score screen doesn't seem to work correctly.

Overall, I'd give this game a solid B. The author obviously put a lot of time into making this game as close to the arcade as possible and did an excellent job. Kudos!

• Like 2

Rain of Terror - 444,000 Mission 11. Sabotage style game that we played recently. I bought one of the boxed versions to show support for the guys so I've been playing it again! Very good game with the paddles, getting past stage 10 is tricky as you need to leave enough guys on the floor at the start of each wave / end of previous may be better tactic.

Bosconian wip - [this was NOT the latest version!] much better with more going on now, though not overly taxing and it's now a little slow (I'm on a PAL system). Still only 3 rounds repeating so I stopped then with just over 30K. Some great speech apart from the code "red" sounds like he has a lisp so it's not quite as serious as it should be. Don't know what the codes mean. Possibly there is a newer version since the one I downloaded. I look forward to this being completed and a more challenging game.

Screenshots to follow. Hope you all find a few to enjoy and at least the programmers will get some feedback!!

:)

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 2

So I scrolled down on Fandals News Archive and started in early 2016:

post-4219-0-93154100-1497128322_thumb.png

Blowsub looks like one of those one-screen VCS games, very well done with nice graphics, some twists like the mines that will blow up everything in sight, and a great animation if you lose your ship (too often?). This screenshot doesn't really do it justice as the game is actually quite colorful with submarines in lots of colours and a colored fish.

post-4219-0-01915400-1496618244.png

Apparently you have to connect 5 dots to score but while I accidentally connected some I never could find out how to perform this consistently. Further research required.

post-4219-0-10345800-1496618256.png

Manic Miner is a Speccy classic that makes Bounty Bob (not "The Real" one) look like something from Spinnaker Software. At least on the first and only screen I saw there was no margin for error and instant death almost everywhere. I think I'll give it another try even just because it was such a hit on the Speccy.

post-4219-0-41424200-1496618265.png

Sarepska is a competitive two-player game requiring both players to grab the same (treasure?) chests and bring them to their cache.

Twin Cars tests your multitasking capability as you have to race two cars with two joysticks. With only one connected to Altirra it was an instant crash affair but might result in some extra left-to-right-brain connections in younger players whose mind is still malleable.

Bobby Bearing has very smooth isometric monochrome graphics and the goals seems to be to find the exit with a score counter running down but on my first try I couldn't get past a screen on one side and got stuck on the other, so more play required here.

post-4219-0-90699300-1496620043_thumb.png

Time Pilot was sorely missed on the Atari for a long time and while it feels a bit tighter than the Arcade version it is very playable. Maybe it's easier as I managed to get past the first two levels with just a few tries but it's very easy to fly into a lingering shot here.

post-4219-0-56370400-1497104324_thumb.png

Cyctriks is a circular version of Tetris the graphics of which must have been as challenging to the programmer as they are to me while playing. It is very sting with points, I never made it past one point for one completed layer around the core. Is it just me, is it caused by the title screen, or does the center of the screen resemble an essential part of human infant nutrition?

post-4219-0-19198200-1497104651_thumb.png

​Grim Ritual has suitably moody graphics for an obviously graveyard-oriented game but so far I failed to find out what I am supposed to do. I set out dragging a coffin but pushing a button makes it disappear. Have I interred it or used it as a weapon against that ghost?

post-4219-0-11191900-1497104889_thumb.png

Muxeso is a Multijoy-enabled multi-player simultaneous memory game using nicely drawn letters made from a redefined hi-res character set as tiles. Our multijoy is still awaiting assembly and my Wine-powered Altirra installation does not seem to work with two joysticks, so I could not really play this against someone else but seems to promise very frantic multi-player action. Update: got Altirra to work with two joysticks by re-doing the binding and played against my son which adds an element of time pressure and makes it more fun. Looking forward to trying this with four on a multijoy.

post-4219-0-42831800-1497127135_thumb.png

Warsaw City is a "shoot the villain" type of game which I played with a joystick but which would lend itself to lighten play. Never made it past Level 5 and some 36K points as you seem to have to dispatch those villains very quickly lest you get wiped out.

post-4219-0-41502200-1497127501_thumb.png

Wytyczne rybne could need a few more vowels to make the name pronounceable. It is a "memorize and reassemble" game using sliced fish as a test of your mnemonic prowess. No points here but you progress a level for every fish reassembled successfully. Very smooth "large block" graphics and once they master the touchless controls, your kids will probably beat you hands down.

post-4219-0-08519900-1497129454_thumb.png

Bosconian indeed looks very promising. I suppose it keeps close to the aracade version including the level of difficulty as I found it very hard to hit with precision and kept going in circles trying to fend off adversaries. It is much faster and more frantic than Survivor which has a similar premise (but sadly does not have more levels). Improved to 9610 on another attempt.

Downloaded the next batch of programs from Fandal and

post-4219-0-15570700-1497163818_thumb.png

Pang boasts very impressive colourful graphics (requiring very impressive memory which luckily is just a fingertip away in Altirra) though I'm not sure yet whether this is my type of game.

post-4219-0-95465400-1497170566_thumb.png

Picross Antic is a nice puzzler. You can select short or long rounds and higher or lower penalties for wrong guesses. I don't know how to start out without guessing (and incurring penalties) but once there's a little pattern to start with, finding the right squares to select is a matter of concentration.

post-4219-0-55776000-1497172622_thumb.png

Arion Line is a frantic multicolor character graphics mode shooter with fabulous scoring, millions of points at the first attempt already ;) In addition to shooting passing enemies who drop bombs, you have to destroy most (about 80%?) of a pattern of blocks in the upper half of the screen. Limited to multiple hues of one colour and with great explosion effects and fast paced music, this is a nice surprise and always good for a casual shooting frenzy.

post-4219-0-21172400-1497472050_thumb.png

Atari Blast: I have to admit I never saw this before and it's a great and really very colorful shooter with lots of power-ups and firepower as well as great in-game music. One line doesn't do it justice and if you really need to blast away this is another great one to pop in.

post-4219-0-68833100-1497472062_thumb.png

ATASCII Blaster uses a clever level design made of (probably random) letters recreated in multicolor Graphics 1 letters which you then have to shoot to keep your fighter flying. While you have to make some sacrifices to fit a game in 1K of assembly code, this gets really hard quickly and is good fun. Just one more try....

post-4219-0-01121700-1497472080_thumb.png

Diamondz reminds me of Jim Slide but I couldn't get past a level as I could not find out how to move my cross to reach the last two diamonds.

post-4219-0-17466800-1497472093_thumb.png

Dimo's Dungeon return's the hero of a previous game to a platformer where you have to gather stuff against the clock (and villains on later levels). Very nicely done with cool music.

post-4219-0-97863000-1497472104_thumb.png

Dye is a totally novel type of game requiring you to color in abstract pictures with a (very low) set number of moves. Very cool level opening and closing movements and a very polished overall game design.

post-4219-0-21381200-1497472121_thumb.png

Gunfright seems to be a Speccy or BBC port and of those isometrics I would probably have loved to waste my teenage years on but which I now find a little tedious, especially with every one of them apparently using a different control scheme (sometimes you have to use left and right to rotate your hero and push up to move him wherever he points, sometimes you push where he should go....) It's nice to see how they original programmers cleverly reduced the actual game window to about 40% of the screen (I assume to have enough CPU power to move it smoothly).

Spellbinder seems to contain a huge building full of rooms to explore in similar fashion (even if it's not really isometric but rather side view), but I probably need to read more docs to find out how to progress.

post-4219-0-49486500-1497472132_thumb.png

Kaverns of Kfest is a cruel demonstration delivered by Kevin Savetz (probably at personal risk) to Apple adepts of the futility of porting famous Atari titles to the Apple II (which he then translated to the Atari as what must have been intended as a satirical vis-a-vis to the name-giving original). ;)

Keven did a nice and darned fast little dungeon-descent game here although it might cause some health issues that could probably be alleviated by Kevin digging an article about smooth scrolling from the thousands of books and magazines he has scanned so far....which in turn would allow him to show those Apple guys in Kansas another thing their machines can't copy....

post-4219-0-38709900-1497472146_thumb.png

Skyscraper is the full-fledged version of a ten-liner published a year or two before. The rules are simple. You drop floors of a Skyscraper from a crane moving across the screen by pushing the joystick button, trying to set down the block exactly on top of the floor below. Drop it too far left or right and your skyscraper will start to taper towards the top. Bonus bricks slow down the speedup that comes every few floors and allow you to gain back a bit of lost width. Nicely done and always worth one more try. Score is measured in points and height.

post-4219-0-21714600-1497472169_thumb.png

Warsaw City is a "shoot the villain" game requiring you to quickly dispatch people in hats looking out of windows. You only have a few seconds before they riddle you with bullets. This is probably better suited to lightgun than joystick use as I never managed to reach the dropping bonus objects in time with my crosshairs.

Edited by slx
  • Like 1

Just being playing SpyCat. I was hoping that we would be able to try this one at some point as it looks good.

I only played for 10 minutes or so and to be fair I was struggling with the controls so I'll find the instructions and play some more.

I managed to find a couple of items but didn't get to put them to any use before.

Nice colourful cartoon like screens. I'm not usually a big fan of games where you have to use a combination of the joystick and keyboard but I'll give this one some more time

I've just found the map and the game is huge

http://www.stairwaytohell.com/gamehelp/MAP-SpyCat-BC/index.html

Edited by McKong
  • Like 1

It's all going crazy here, good!

The excel mags have loads of maps and playguides for many of the recent conversions from the C64/Spectrum/BBC etc including SpyCat in issue 4 :)

Played the newest Bosconian (heh!) and it's even better still, loads of speech, more enemies and it does have more than 3 rounds so I'll be playing this more :thumbsup:

post-19705-0-84964300-1496692623.jpg

Tried some of the Wap-niak 2017 games:

Time Pilot locks up on my 130XE (tried mypicodos and also direct from mydos)Titles and music ok then stops on blue swirl. [this was the wrong version - see later posts!]

. post-19705-0-09199900-1496692638.jpgpost-19705-0-58534700-1496692649.jpg

:(

Crazy Cat - this is really good, only a 1 level demo. I didn't get all the rings but got most of them. It's a slick free-flowing scrolling platformer - check it out :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

post-19705-0-25872100-1496692558.jpgpost-19705-0-11950000-1496692590.jpg

Podskoczek - score 26 - jump up and along the platforms as the screen scrolls down, nice little game too :thumbsup:

post-19705-0-43234500-1496692661.jpgpost-19705-0-64747200-1496692680.jpg

Vox Regis - looks interesting, but I've no clue, let's hope for an English version soon ;)

post-19705-0-78785600-1496692698.jpgpost-19705-0-58261000-1496692706.jpg

• Like 2

Tried the latest release of Bosconian. WOW! It's pretty freakin' amazing! All that seems to be missing is the little sound of your ship's "engine" as you fly around. The voice sampling is dead-on accurate and, like the arcade, it's hard as hell! :) 30,210!

post-9712-0-58453800-1496712172.png

• Like 3

I've been through *all* the Nomam 2017 entries. Remember these are 10 liners - well some are extended 10 lines so about 50 lines of code! Not all the games give a challenge but most are impressive just for what they are. A couple of demos and a few paddles games too (D,N &P)

The cool disk menu (nice work SKR) has programs A-X. To save rebooting press reset then type RUN "D:AUTORUN.BAS" to return to the menu (or type DIR and run the files directly) :)

You can press Break and type list to see the code but most are quite advanced, checkout the NOMAM site (link on 1st post for more info)

:)

• Like 1

Tried some of the Wap-niak 2017 games:

Time Pilot locks up on my 130XE (tried mypicodos and also direct from mydos)Titles and music ok then stops on blue swirl.

. attachicon.gifTime Pilot.jpgattachicon.gifTime Pilot Lockup.jpg

:(

I'm see, that You use xex file for rapidus. Try second xex (hmm, renamed if I remember to xe_ or so) - you tried play for 65816 CPU, so - it is problem with yours 130XE. (Yes, I tried play in it on my real 65XE with 320KB of RAM).

• Like 1

I've downloaded some 40-ish games but will only post scores and comments on those I found playable. Here are the first bunch, alphabetically for practical reasons:

1K ATASCII Blaster - 1440 pts

This reminds me of the yearly MiniGame compos. Nice idea to use the character ROM to build levels. A bit harsh speedup once you reach 1000 pts, in particular if you're facing a hard to blast character to make your way. Good use of the Atari palette, and what you can do in 1K of code.

post-5454-0-20878900-1497084178.jpg

At Arion Line: Mission Zero - 184000 pts, level 3 (displays as 020184000)

I used to love games like Multitron, Antimatter Splatter etc as a child. This is a lo-fi game in the same fashion: blast enough of the pattern above you while avoiding falling blocks. The first level only has a line at the top, next line has a square, third level has a Space Invader pattern etc so looks promising with variation.

post-5454-0-58357800-1497084179.jpg

Black Rescue - 85600 pts

Once you understand that the split screen is not meant for two players, but rather the game continues on the lower half, it becomes quite repetitive. I'm sure if you're playing carefully, you can have a session last all day until you get daredevil and jump into the helicopter. Minus points for not showing last score or high score on the title screen, it means you need to remember at what score you ended. Also a nice graphic bug at the upper right, once the number of men to pick up exceeds 9, it displays a filled square instead of a number. I never got to round 10 so I can't say if the same applies to that marker.

post-5454-0-75374400-1497084176.jpg

• Like 2

76100 Time Pilot

In the high score appeared 761,000 ?

I think I scored only 76,000... is it a bug ?

Yeah, it's a bug. I think there will be a corrected version eventually as this is labeled party version. There is a whole thread about the game somewhere.

• Like 2

Evening round:

Blowsub - 59050 pts.

Very nice arcade style submarine game with some interesting add-ons like the mines, the electric eels and the fact that it runs on a timer rather than a fixed number of ships. While I only spent 9 minutes on this one, I think I might play it again later on.

post-5454-0-31578300-1497132368.jpg

Bosconian - 24400 pts

I'll admit this is a game I've never played before, despite it exists for a number of formats. A nice conversion for sure, with speech effects and everything, but not really my type of space shooter. I can't put my finger on why I don't enjoy it more than I do, but it is more about the game itself than the port.

post-5454-0-17861200-1497132367.jpg

Codeman - failed to crack the code

A Mastermind type of game where each colour seems to be used once. Nothing spectacular, but also not a bad implementation. A bit of run of the mill for me.

post-5454-0-06891500-1497132366.jpg

Crazy Cat - 40 rings

It is like Sonic the Hedgehog meets Team 17's Superfrog (Amiga etc) but with very weird jumping. Technically impressive but difficult steering does not make me want to return to it. I'd rather play Superfrog on my Amiga instead.

post-5454-0-81284100-1497132364.jpg

CX2626 Minature Golf - played the first four holes

Well, what is there to say? I'm a regular contributor to the Comp.Sys.Sinclair Crap Game Compo, and while I don't think this is meant to be a crap game, a straight port of an already inferior Atari 2600 game on the Atari 800 must be more about a programming challenge than playability. Oh well, at least I gave it a try.

post-5454-0-50713200-1497132363.jpg

Cyclotriks - 1 pts

It took me ten minutes to figure out how to score in this Tetris type game. I found it very hard to fill entire circles, even though not all blocks must be of the same colour. Interesting idea in the world of Walltris etc, but I'll probably play the old 2D Tetris more.

post-5454-0-39981200-1497132362.jpg

Dimo's Dungeon - 800+ pts

Another game that looks nice, but is not really my cup of tea. The strange scoring system with disk scores and online scores, and that the score counter resets at the start of each new level makes it hard for me to know my actual score. Others probably like it, I'm more of meh.

post-5454-0-13914000-1497132361.jpg

Donkey Kong JR Enhanced - 1600 pts

I never quite liked Donkey Kong JR. Well, the Game & Watch game was a bit fun, but the video game I couldn't really embrace. I know it was recently ported to the Commode as well, but I haven't played that version neither. There is both DK JR Arcade and DK JR Enhanced, I don't know how they differ but also I will not attempt to figure out.

post-5454-0-73840700-1497132359.jpg

Dye - finished the first 20 levels, got stuck on level 21

This is a game for me! I sank well over an hour on the first attempt. Sometimes it seems impossible to fill the screen so only one colour remains, but then you get an idea to try. Perhaps a timer and a score indicator would add something, but on the other hand I think this one has multiple modes of playing on the menu screen so perhaps those are included in one of the modes I didn't try.

post-5454-0-24312800-1497132358.jpg

• Like 2

Off the "one more game" track, it is really astonishing how many new or newly ported games we get to enjoy 25 years after production of our Ataris ended. For me this HSC round theme is an excellent occasion to look beyond what I already knew from my teenage years and so far I'm mostly enjoying it!

• Like 3

I'm see, that You use xex file for rapidus. Try second xex (hmm, renamed if I remember to xe_ or so) - you tried play for 65816 CPU, so - it is problem with yours 130XE. (Yes, I tried play in it on my real 65XE with 320KB of RAM).

OK I didn't read the me! Thanks the other one (.EX_) works nicely...

Time Pilot 701,000 got through back to the start, nice game, not sure if it gets harder. The 'arcade' controls were a shock after years of Asteriods and various A8 racing games, but I soon got used to them. Impressive game :thumbsup:

Off the "one more game" track, it is really astonishing how many new or newly ported games we get to enjoy 25 years after production of our Ataris ended. For me this HSC round theme is an excellent occasion to look beyond what I already knew from my teenage years and so far I'm mostly enjoying it!

Me too, Bosconian is really good now and just the sort of thing I'd like to see more of. I'm not so fond of the batch of walk around adventures but I'm sure they will all get played.

Had another go on Crazy Cat (30) but still can't get the doughnuts here:

post-19705-0-44044300-1497202407.jpg

Pod 43 - some nice ideas in this one, play it more guys :thumbsup:

post-19705-0-67681900-1497202426.jpg

Hot and Cold Adventure - stylish but maybe the jumping / controls could be improved, seems to walk along the screen base back to the start sometimes!

Space Fortress Omega v1.09tt!! - yes I'm playing my own game, so nearly ready for release but still a few more tweaks :grin:

10Liners from earlier posts

Kaverns of Kfest

post-19705-0-82558500-1497202385.jpg

Etch a Sketch

post-19705-0-72713200-1497202399.jpg

• Like 2

Third session of playing through new games:

GetUp! - 707 pts

A nice little dodge and accelerate game, where going at slow speed gains you no points and braking makes you lose points. The high score mechanism is buggy though, as it seems to replace previously recorded high scores with lower sums if you play again.

post-5454-0-56740400-1497209636.jpg

GravZoo - no score

I catched the first guy on a ledger and was close to the second guy. A little difficult steering, and it doesn't seem the guy can move sideways, only jump into air which makes avoiding the green (deadly) elements rather tough. I don't know if it has scoring/cleared levels further on, I only reached two screens away.

post-5454-0-08360400-1497209638.jpg

Grim Ritual - 2100 pts

At first I didn't understand what to do, but apparently you grab a coffin, move to the left and press fire to bury it. You need to avoid the ghosts, or kill them by pulling upwards. If you bury enough coffins, you clear the level. All in all this looks like a Game Jam entry, when you have a short period of time to develop a game. Another one that restarts the game without saving or displaying your previous score. A little rough and simplistic, but interesting none the less.

post-5454-0-58019700-1497209639.jpg

Hot & Cold Adventure - failed to play this one

On my PAL 130XE, first time I loaded the game it would yield all sorts of graphic glitches after a few seconds. On subsequent loads, it locked up right after starting the game. I tried to load without the Option key held down, but it only resulted in a red screen since BASIC never was disabled. Pretty much all other Atari games I have tried have worked. Does this one require an expanded computer, e.g. 256K and upwards? I don't know if I qualify for a point for trying to play a game that wouldn't play properly.

Laura - 805 pts

A nice Polish game that to me looks like a three way cross between Bomberman, Sokoban and Zelda. I didn't figure out all the parts of game play, but it might be on my replay list.

post-5454-0-16586600-1497209641.jpg

Mini-Slots - $1170

Well, I only tested this for a few minutes. Graphically it is fine, perhaps there should be more visual effects to indicate why and how much you won on each combination. Nice idea with winning statistics, but as mentioned elsewhere a slot machine on the computer where you can only play with imagined money is only that fun in the long run. I know those games were very popular in the early 1980's and this probably is an attempt to make a better looking version of those.

post-5454-0-69636400-1497209642.jpg

Much Blastesz - 59200 pts

Not that much blastesz IMHO. A horizontally scrolling shooter with irregular attack waves. Sometimes in formation, sometimes one on one. Sometimes they fire at you, sometimes they don't. It looks like a programming example in scrolling, more than a full fledged game.

post-5454-0-03100900-1497209644.jpg

Muxeso - no score

This is a Memory type game for 2+ players, supporting Multijoy. Since there was no single player mode, neither against a computer nor on time or limited number of turns, it quickly became irrelevant for me to play on my own. I'm sure that with e.g. four players simultaneously chasing combinations, it might be a lot of fun.

post-5454-0-41233800-1497209645.jpg

NYD 2016 Nessie - 11 pts

It says it was based on a book listing. A bit tongue in cheek, firing torpedoes at the Loch Ness monster. Once I made a CSSCGC game about dragons and was reviewed that they looked like kangaroos. Nessie in this game looks like a cheeky squirrel, and being rendered in orange doesn't make her less squirrely. Perhaps fun to have a game competition at a party, but probably nothing the developers spent a lot of time onto.

post-5454-0-09963400-1497209635.jpg

• Like 1

Tried SpyCat but I don't really like this type of game so didn't get anywhere. Excel Mag #3 has a guide/review and #4 has the map.

Had another go on E-Type but still don't like this either - can't see anything with the car on and not much better without. OK it was released late 2015!

Hero 2016 - I can't see any difference except perhaps(?) the display panel which I like less than the original.

:twisted:

Carlsson has been ploughing through the games and there are a couple he has listed that I will play, I'm also going to try the other original Spelunker to see if I can beat it and if there are any other differences. :)

• Like 1