IGNORED

SDriveXEL and XF551XEL Pre-order announcement

Dropcheck

With the imminent release of Mytekcontrol's 1088XEL project I have decided to reimage the SDrive and XF551 floppy disk drive boards to allow an in case storage medium. Depending on your preference you can purchase an SDriveXEL for floppy disk emulation only or go almost totally retro with a real modernized XF551 floppy disk drive pcb that will drive a compatible 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" drive mech. There's even an option to combine both SDrive and XF551 features on a single 4 layer pcb. For the die-hard DIYer there's even the option to buy the bare boards and build from the ground up.

Your choice of mini-ITX case will be crucial as not all will have the required disk drive bays. The SDriveXEL option only requires a single 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" drive bay with adapter rails. The XF551XEL options all require both a 3 1/2" and a 5 1/4" drive bay or (2) 5 1/4" drive bays in the case. I have listed some compatible cases below. By no means is this list exhaustive, but it gives an idea of what is needed. MicroATX cases that also handle mini-ITX boards are also an option.

Another crucial requirement is an adequate power supply to support the real 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" drive mech. I recommend an actual ATX12V standard pc power supply. A 200-300W power supply should be more than sufficient. No need to go higher. I have created a ATX12V adapter board to ease the use with the 1088XEL motherboard. It should work for either a 20 or 24 pin mainboard connector.

Links to suitable mini-ITX tower cases: (I recommend this Newegg.com pc component supplier due to several years worth of business with them. However they are not the only source for mini-ITX cases by any means.)

APEX MI-008

Rosewill RS-MI-01 BK

One caveat is the issue of the Atari cartridge slot. That is still an ongoing issue. There's not really anything like it in the PC world, therefor I'm not aware of any pc case that has a specific design for it. There is talk of using a ribbon cable/adapter board combo to re-position it to a more convenient place on a case, but that is highly dependent on the case used. Depending on the length you might need to buffer the signals to insure against signal loss. Also there is a high degree of actual case moding needed. Currently the case Mytekcontrols is using for testing does not have such a problem, but then it also does not have the easy drive bay option for in case storage medium. Mytekcontrols is working on another option though.

In the end it is your choice as to what system/case you choose. :)

The order window is now open for the following in case storage medium options I am offering. All orders will go through my website. www.bitsofthepast.com

All shipping will originate in the US. Timeline: Should take upto six to eight weeks for parts and board ordering, assembly and testing.

1. SDriveXEL

SDrive1.png

Reimaged SDrive of Raster and c0nsumer fame that will fit in a 3 1/2" drive bay. Updated onboard AVR programming to a USBash compatible programmer connector. Modified LEDs and switch positions to fit new board design. Standalone version of the XF551/SDriveXEL combo board. Will connect to 1088XEL board via SIO Aux connector for all power and data signals. Fully populated and ready to go.

Cost = $45.00 plus shipping

2. XF551XEL Basic

XF551XELBasic00.png

Reimaged XF551 mainboard to fit within a 3 1/2" drive bay connected to the 1088XEL's Aux SIO connector. It is not upgradeable.

User will need to provide 8040/8050 CPU, WD1772 Floppy Controller, 2764 Eprom chip programmed with your choice of XF551 OS and a XF551 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" drive mech. User will also need to provide necessary circuitry to activate a ATX12V power supply for the drive mech or purchase ATX12V adapter board.

Cost = $45.00 plus shipping

3. XF551XEL w/Track Display, 4in1OS and Drive # Selector, Reset Switch & Power LED

XF551XELAdv00.png

XF551BezelXEL00.png

Reimaged XF551 4 layer mainboard to fit within a 3 1/2" drive bay connected to the 1088XEL's Aux SIO connector. Front facing pcb with track display, 4in1OS and drive # selector switch, reset and power led.

User will need to provide 8040/8050 CPU, WD1772 Floppy Controller, 27128 Eprom chip programmed with upto 4 XF551 OS and a XF551 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" drive mech. User will also need to provide necessary circuitry to activate a ATX12V power supply for the drive mech or purchase ATX12V adapter board.

Board is upgradeable to SDriveXEL addition, but user will have to purchase own parts and do the upgrade. Some SMD soldering, but mainly TH parts. Parts BOM will be published.

Cost = $80.00.00 plus shipping

4. XF551XEL w/Track Display, 4in1OS and Drive # Selector, Power LED, and SDriveXEL

XF551Complete00.png

XF551XELBezelComp00.png
Reimaged XF551 4 layer mainboard to fit within a 3 1/2" drive bay connected to the 1088XEL's Aux SIO connector. ATX12V/EPS12V compatible adapter board to enable a normal PC case power supply for drive mech power. SDriveXEL feature set already installed. Front facing pcb with track display, 4in1OS and drive # selector switch, reset and power led and leds and control buttons for the SDriveXEL.

User will need to provide 8040/8050 CPU, WD1772 Floppy Controller, 27128 Eprom chip programmed with upto 4 XF551 OS and a XF551 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" drive mech.

Cost = $125.00 plus shipping

5. ATX12V1088XEL Daughter Card

ATX12VXELAdapter00.png

ATX12V compatible adapter board to enable a ATX12V 24pin PC case power supply for drive mech power.

Cost = $10.00 plus shipping

6. Bare boards(No parts of any kind)

SDriveXEL 10.00
XF551XEL Basic 10.00
XF551/SDriveXEL Combo 20.00
ATX12V 5.00

+ Shipping

• Like 4

are you only doing a single run of the sDrive boards? I'm interested in one but I wont need it until I build out my second board and can't afford to purchase the board yet.

It depends on the demand as always. I tend to buy in ten lots, since that is the lowest number where discounts in parts cost begin. I also don't end up with bookoo number of boards and parts that don't sell.

FYI

I've seen a couple of instances now where people have bought the ATX12V adapter misunderstanding they had to have it.

The SDriveXEL option does not need the ATX12V adapter. It can run very happily on the power directly from the 1088XEL SIO port.

The XF551SDriveXEL option includes the ATX12V adapter.

The other options I do recommend the adapter, but it is not required if you want to use another method of powering the XF551 floppy disk drive mech.

I don't think I'll grab one of these, but I am definitely going to pick up your mini-PBI compact flash HDD.

Hi Stephen that's my project you are referring to. But if Dropcheck wanted to carry that in her store she would be more than welcome to do so. Of course it's got to get through its development phase first ;)

- Michael

• Like 1

Hi Stephen that's my project you are referring to. But if Dropcheck wanted to carry that in her store she would be more than welcome to do so. Of course it's got to get through its development phase first ;)

- Michael

Oops - too many projects happening all at once! I'd say that is a good thing.

With just two days left

Currently sold

7 of 10 SDriveXEL

0 of 10 XF551XEL Basic

0 of 10 XF551XEL Advanced

1 of 10 XF551SDriveXEL

1 of 10 ATX12V Adapter

Looks like the SDriveXEL will make. I'll do a run of ATX12V boards for sure. The one XF551SDriveXEL board I think I will have enough parts to make. There's just a few parts the normal XF551 and SDriveXELboards don't share.

I would have purchased an XF551SDriveXEL but i did not want to pay in advance and tie up my money for something so iffy and open-ended. Why didn't you do it like everybody else does and take pre-order commitments from people for these items then collect the money when you are ready to actually make the product? I will still buy a XF551XEL Basic, XF551XEL Advanced, or a XF551SDriveXEL if you ever decide to make them.

I would have purchased an XF551SDriveXEL but i did not want to pay in advance and tie up my money for something so iffy and open-ended. Why didn't you do it like everybody else does and take pre-order commitments from people for these items then collect the money when you are ready to actually make the product? I will still buy a XF551XEL Basic, XF551XEL Advanced, or a XF551SDriveXEL if you ever decide to make them.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. :)

I do believe that the 1088XEL is a real product with just a few more bugs to work out. I am anxious to see the final product as well. :)

So far I don't think I've ever not made the product I've offered as long as the minimum number had been sold. The few times the projects have not made, the buyers saw their refunds within days of the end of the order window. The strength of the pre-pay order numbers determine whether I continue to offer the boards on my website as well.

I've spoken several times before on why I moved my offerings to pre-pay on my website as opposed to pre-order. Having the pre-pay order process on my website makes it easier for me to keep track of inventory and orders. We're talking five or six hundred dollars in board and parts costs on some projects tied up here before even one dollar is received under the pre-order plan. Although most people do pay up on their commitments, there can be 10-20% who for whatever reason don't. The margins are so thin that even that small number of no-pays can drag me into the negative column.

I know life happens, the excuses are real, but my credit card company doesn't take excuses any better than yours. :(

That said, as of the end of the order window Sunday:

The assembled SDriveXEL and ATX12V board projects will be made.

The one assembled XF551SDriveXEL board sold will be made.

Those who purchased the bare boards will be sent them when they come in.

• Like 2

I do believe that the 1088XEL is a real product with just a few more bugs to work out. I am anxious to see the final product as well. :)

Yep it is very real, and I fully intend to see this thing through to the end, even if it kills me (although I hope it doesn't come to that :grin: ). So far the problem is only related to PAL usage, NTSC is working beautifully. When the team and I figure out what the issue is, I'm sure it'll be an easy fix. So I'm hopeful that the final version will still be released this Summer as projected.

Dropcheck truly amazed me as to how fast she decided to offer support for the XEL, and I want to reward that by getting my part done as promised.

- Michael

• Like 2