IGNORED

Getting 'round to installing Mega Speedy! - having trouble...

KLund1

Well I'm getting to a back log of projects.

Now up to the Mega Speedy install. I picked a working 1050 at random from my stock of 4 known working drives

I followed this link as best I could.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwidh4nEzKXUAhUH0WMKHW4iD2QQFggmMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.realdos.net%2FDownloads%2FMEGA-Speedy%2FInstalling%2520the%2520Mega%2520Speedy.doc&usg=AFQjCNGsBdaJZ8u2G0PdsSw4BA_-W8Seiw&cad=rja

Symptoms after first try at install.

Drive powering on only:

Door latch open. Power applied. No light next to power switch. No lights at all, no flash no nothing from MS (Mega Speedy) displays

Door latch closed. Power applied. LED next to power switch on. briefly FL is displayed. then quickly green, then red MS LED's, and rotor led is lit. FL disappears, after red MS LED goes off, all display LED's are off, and drive grinds; it moved all the way towards the center and then out to last outside, and repeats without stopping.

I know I did something wrong, and not the instructions. Please help and review the pics and show where I went wrong. You can see my soldering skills a below average.

Many thank in advance for the ever-helpful Atari community!

post-15598-0-06083000-1496638056_thumb.jpg

post-15598-0-04459800-1496638057_thumb.jpg

post-15598-0-29478900-1496638058_thumb.jpg

post-15598-0-60685500-1496638059_thumb.jpg

post-15598-0-02492100-1496638061_thumb.jpg

post-15598-0-90547700-1496638061_thumb.jpg

Hello great atari friend,

Please check u7 6532 40 pins chip the yellow colour is the pin 23 bent out of the connector? so no do it maybe the drive will work.

FYI:

Remove U7 / 6532 from its socket and pull out pin 23 as shown. Put a drop of solder on the shoulder of pin 10 and pin 23, close to the plastic housing. Take care that is does not flow down all the way to the tip of the pins as that may cause a bad connection in the future. Now reinsert U7 / 6532.

[ ] Pin 3 has an Orange wire and goes to U7 / 6532 pin 10. This pin stays in the socket. When you solder this wire be certain not to use to much solder. You do not want molten solder to run down the pin leg and solder it to the socket. Option is to solder the interconnect wires to the chip and then insert chip into the socket!

[ ] Pin 4 has a Yellow wire and goes to U7 / 6532 pin 23. This is bent so it's

Please let me now if it works for you.

Gr. Marco

Please check all so pin 10 6532 orange it look it is fit on pin 11 (on the last foto it looks between pin 12 and pin 11).

Edited by marcokitt2000

Thanks

Cleaned up the bad connections, fix non twisted wires. Powered it up and it looks like it is working. Got to the main menu. Tired to boot a dos disk but the drive just grinded. Not sure if I selected a working slot or not. Need to read up a bit more on how to use it.

Ordered a 3d face plate made.

Need sources for rom sets to flash. I remember a thread that had some but do not remember what i should search for.

• Like 2

Thanks

Cleaned up the bad connections, fix non twisted wires. Powered it up and it looks like it is working. Got to the main menu. Tired to boot a dos disk but the drive just grinded. Not sure if I selected a working slot or not. Need to read up a bit more on how to use it.

Ordered a 3d face plate made.

Need sources for rom sets to flash. I remember a thread that had some but do not remember what i should search for.

Where'd you order the 3D printed faceplate?

I'm trying Shapeway.com Their cheapest plastic marital was about $32, black, plus about $5 for shipping to me. I have a dark brown spray can that matches pretty close to original. I'll post a pic and review when I get it in about a week.

In the mean time, any flash files to fill all the slots?

Also,If I recall, I have a first run version, is there nay bios updates I should know about.

Thanks everyone.

• 2 months later...

I think I got it work work. I turn it on, move to 51. boot computer., get a wired high pitch sound over the speaker, like beginning of a fax, then a German menu. Well I can't read german.

For kicks, I turn off computer, load a known good 2.0s disk. turn computer on and get boot error.

Next steps?