IGNORED

WANTED: Feedback for Asteroids Deluxe

Dauber

I'm looking for feedback for the next episode of the Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/homebrew78 )

What are your thoughts on Asteroids Deluxe? This game will be covered on Episode 13.

You can also e-mail text or audio to homebrew78 -at- fab4it -dot- com.

Deadline is 11:59pm CDT on Wednesday, June 14. Any comments from after then will be addressed in a later episode.

In this excellent re-do of the Atari 7800 version of Asteroids, Bob DeCrescenzo has managed to incorporate the necessary elements to make this a faithful representation of the arcade sequel to Asteroids. The graphics have been re-made in vector-like fashion. The Killer Satellite has been added with AI that allows it to pursue you kamikaze style, hyperspace has been replaced by a shield that allows you to bounce off your enemies and the redesigned spaceship has been accurately captured.

Game variations include Standard Play, Competition Asteroids (yes, you can shoot your opponent) and Team Asteroids (no you cannot shoot your team mate). Overall, I really like this cart. The game play, physics and sounds are really good. I feel like I’m playing Asteroids Deluxe and not a simple hack of 7800 Asteroids. An added bonus is the hidden Asteroids Vector Edition, which makes this a great 2 in 1 purchase. :thumbsup:

Oh I forgot to mention that the manual cover art is a nice representation of the of the arcade cabinet side graphics and background. Its the little things. Nice touch.

Edited by sramirez2008
  • Like 4

I'm looking for feedback for the next episode of the Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/homebrew78 )

What are your thoughts on Asteroids Deluxe? This game will be covered on Episode 13.

You can also e-mail text or audio to homebrew78 -at- fab4it -dot- com.

Deadline is 11:59pm CDT on Wednesday, June 14. Any comments from after then will be addressed in a later episode.

Hope you've received a few e-mails or texts. I can't be the only one that enjoys Asteroids Deluxe.

Asteroids Deluxe comes smashing onto the Atari 7800; but why is it worth playing (and it most certainly is), and what separates it from the already existing retail Asteroids game?

First, vector graphics; well, not truly vector as you are still utilizing a raster display, but the simulated look of vectorized graphics is achieved most acceptably and an excellent throw back to how the original looks under its Arcade counterpart.

It is not just graphics receiving an update that makes this such a worthy game to play and own, but there are significant gameplay differences as well. For starters, there is no more hyperspace/warping from one place to another. It has been replaced with shields that, just like the Arcade original, deplete according to usage.

Following suit with the Arcade original as well, the Asteroids come in three different sizes. The large Asteroids turn to medium when shot; medium, when shot, turns to small; small disappears when shot. Additionally, the Killer Satellite enemy is also present, which when shot breaks into smaller ships that attack kamikaze style.

Flying saucers are present and of course screen wrapping works as it did with the original retail title. Speaking of original titles, as a cool bonus/Easter egg, the original Asteroids game is present as well with the same simulated vector graphics as Deluxe. Just hold down the console's pause button on power up and wait for the title screen - It will now show and play as original Arcade Asteroids.

If that isn’t enough for the Asteroids fan, with a second player on board, there is the option to play alternating turns, competitive on screen simultaneous, or as a team. Coupled with the four levels of difficulty/challenge settings, it creates a one size fits all Asteroids port that is hard to beat.

Not much else to state, this is as good as it gets Arcade Asteroids Deluxe port under a classic (raster) 8-bit platform. The game plays great, looks great, and is a great addition to the 7800 library.

• Like 3

First impressions:

-hey, the asteroids don't look like marbles!

-rapid fire? Take that, proline handcramps!

-ooh, a boss level, cosmic pizza, shoot it once, then the slices attack. Nice!

-there's a shield? Wait, now I'm bouncing everywhere!

this breathes new life into a tired classic. While I'm not an asteroids fan, there is enough replay value here to make it worthwhile. Sometimes I wish there was more color, but I understand why there isn't. Sometimes when you respawn, you're immediately killed by another asteroid. I give it a solid rating overall.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...