IGNORED

Trying to Review Every Neo Geo Game on Youtube

Hi there. I'm Neo-Alec. I'm trying to review every Neo Geo game on Youtube in chronological order by NGH catalog number. I've only just started, and so far I have five videos completed. Please check out the channel and enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_W1EM66_BruhDsODY4WcYolFMxqQn8ng
All videos are real hardware, captured in 1080p60 using the XRGB-Mini Framemeister.
Videos Available:
NGH-001: Nam-1975
NGH-002: Baseball Stars Professional
NGH-003: Top Player's Golf
NGH-004: Mahjong Kyoretsuden
NGH-005: Magician Lord
Constructive feedback is always welcome.
Edited by DJ Clae
  • Like 4

Only had time last night to watch your Magician Lord review and I really enjoyed it. Keep it up!

Minor side note: in high school, I was infatuated with ML even though it was hard as f***. I was determined to beat it so I took $20 to the mall arcade, changed it all to quarters, and was going to feed that machine until I finally beat it. At some point along my quest, an employee asked me to please get off the machine because other people wanted to play. I was furious. I think I'm still furious! I was a paying customer trying to finish a game, I would have thought they'd encourage that!

The home version kicks my ass and I still haven't beaten it. Your review made me determined to get back at it.

Hi there. I'm Neo-Alec. I'm trying to review every Neo Geo game on Youtube in chronological order by NGH catalog number. I've only just started, and so far I have five videos completed. Please check out the channel and enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_W1EM66_BruhDsODY4WcYolFMxqQn8ng

All videos are real hardware, captured in 1080p60 using the XRGB-Mini Framemeister.
Videos Available:
Constructive feedback is always welcome.

Hey DJ,

Wow, I was just watching the first video of NAM-1975 from your Basement Brothers channel a few minutes ago and was going to post it up on the Neo-Geo thread here on Atariage. But I just viewed your posting right now and you beat me to the punch! :)

I have to say it's really impressive DJ. If you like, you're more than welcome to post the videos on the Neo-Geo thread and future videos regarding them if you like. :)

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224

I'm really looking forward to seeing you review of ASO II soon.

It's the game that made my buy a Neo Geo BITD, so I'm rather biased.

Since you seem to like the history of the games, I hope that you mention the original ASO ... which is what I loved so much that I had to buy ASO II.

The pick-up-3-parts system to get a ship was brilliant, especially the frustration as a player when you start collecting a particular ship, and begin ignoring other ship-parts, only to realize that you're not going to get the last part that you need and should have collected something else instead.

It was a great coin-sucker that rewarded learning both the map, and which ships it was going to offer you at any particular time.

• Like 1

I can do that fdurso. Thank you. I really appreciate your support!

Thanks for supporting my thread, Tanooki!

Hey DJ,

You're welcome. To show my gratitude, I posted the 5 videos on the Neo-Geo thread to help give additional support to suporrt your amazing quest that you plan to fulfill. I also provided a link to this discussion topic to give credit for you as well.

It's on page 375, post #9371 for you to view.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/223548-the-official-neo-geo-thread/page-375

Thank you again kind sir. Keep up the great work. :)

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224

Hey thank you, Anthony!

Elmer, that's great how much passion you have for Alpha Mission II. I don't see how you can review a sequel without talking about the previous game, so of course I'll be featuring the arcade original and NES game in all its RGB glory.

• Like 1

Hey thank you, Anthony!

Elmer, that's great how much passion you have for Alpha Mission II. I don't see how you can review a sequel without talking about the previous game, so of course I'll be featuring the arcade original and NES game in all its RGB glory.

You're welcome DJ,

In fact, instead of watching them on the Neo-Geo thread after I posted them, I came back here to view the additional 4 uploads to show its not about being privileged to the thread only, but to help others on the passion that they have for the Neo-Geo in general. :)

Thank you again DJ. Keep it up bro. :thumbsup:

Anthony..

^That was kind of my thinking. Your general thread is fine, but it's also a deep mess approaching 400 pages of which almost all of it comes down to reposts of twitter and other sharing sites info on Neo Geo stuff. It's impossible to sift through all that to find the non-twitter stuff without manually reading each page. I'd hate to see these videos get lost basically thrown under the bus of all that stuff. Since we don't have a SNK section it's kind of a tight place.

• Like 1

^That was kind of my thinking. Your general thread is fine, but it's also a deep mess approaching 400 pages of which almost all of it comes down to reposts of twitter and other sharing sites info on Neo Geo stuff. It's impossible to sift through all that to find the non-twitter stuff without manually reading each page. I'd hate to see these videos get lost basically thrown under the bus of all that stuff. Since we don't have a SNK section it's kind of a tight place.

Understood tanooki. I mention about a sub-forum with the Administrator regarding it not too long ago, but he feels (at the time mention) we don't have a large amount of members participating or own Neo-Geo yet. But we did help enlist 60+ members onto Atariage and Albert was pleased about it since it was established. Maybe I'll ask him again down the line again regarding it.

Anthony..

Sounds like a plan. The base here I think would welcome a SNK/Neo Geo micro-section like you're talking about considering the style of members here. If it went a bit more broad with SNK that would cover company stuff, arts and audio, SNK games cross whatever system, NG MVS+AES, and the NGP+NGPC. I don't think it would be a huge use board, but I don't see it being any less interestingly traveled than some of the minor section areas that already exist.

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan. The base here I think would welcome a SNK/Neo Geo micro-section like you're talking about considering the style of members here. If it went a bit more broad with SNK that would cover company stuff, arts and audio, SNK games cross whatever system, NG MVS+AES, and the NGP+NGPC. I don't think it would be a huge use board, but I don't see it being any less interestingly traveled than some of the minor section areas that already exist.

Yes, that's true on what you mention. I'll ask Albert down the line again and see if he would take it into consideration. Thank you for sharing your opinions tanooki. :)

Anthony...

These are really good--there's tons of info in each of them, even the games I personally might be tempted not to focus as much on. I hope you don't burn yourself out with that level of detail before the really incredible games ;)

Riding Hero should be coming up fairly early in the list--and if you have any tips/strategies at all for not getting totally pissed off at it, I'm all ears. I want to like it.

• Like 1

If you like, you're more than welcome to post the videos on the Neo-Geo thread and future videos regarding them if you like. :)

If someone actually wants people to see their Neo Geo related project, they should avoid your thread. You've essentially just mirrored Google's image search for "Neo Geo". I've clicked through a dozen or so pages, and there's basically no actual content at all.

It's also pretty rude to be jumping in someone else's thread to draw attention towards your own.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

Excellent! I'm definitely a fanboy, having played ASO for many hours as a student when it came out.

ASO comes from the days when arcade games didn't come with 30-pages manuals, and you had to figure things out as you played.

It's an unusually complex shooter, and most videos just really badly miss the point, and end up dismissing it as a bad Xevious clone.

If you watch this Japanese play-through, you'll see some of the strategy as the player hordes his Energy bar and grinds on levels to boost up his ship and collect extra lives and armor.

ASO II on the Neo Geo took the formula and ramped it up with beautiful graphics, excellent sound, huge bosses, and 2 players.

Magical! But again, if you treat it like a normal shooter, you'll get slaughtered.

• Like 1

Excellent! I'm definitely a fanboy, having played ASO for many hours as a student when it came out.

ASO comes from the days when arcade games didn't come with 30-pages manuals, and you had to figure things out as you played.

It's an unusually complex shooter, and most videos just really badly miss the point, and end up dismissing it as a bad Xevious clone.

If you watch this Japanese play-through, you'll see some of the strategy as the player hordes his Energy bar and grinds on levels to boost up his ship and collect extra lives and armor.

ASO II on the Neo Geo took the formula and ramped it up with beautiful graphics, excellent sound, huge bosses, and 2 players.

Magical! But again, if you treat it like a normal shooter, you'll get slaughtered.

Nicely said elmer.

I also enjoyed ASO as well. But i use to be the only kid playing the game. It came to a point if I didn't insert quarters to just show support for the game, the arcade owner would call the distributor and remove it from the location. When I mention it to others about it, they would just disregard it and thought the same thing regarding it as only a Xevious knockoff. :(

Too bad, ASO has plenty to offer and to really understand this shooter, is for gamers to go far and beyond with it.

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224

I've been considering ASO2 for my arcade cart collection but just never really prioritized it. Blazing Star was my #1 thing to go for first considering my cabinet pickup a year ago came with both sonic wings 2 and 3 carts. I also have the MVS conversion of Ironclad too which is fantastic and Strikers 1945 Plus. At this rate my #1 interest shooter wise would be Andro Dunos, love that whole TG16 kind of feel it has mixed with Gradius highlights.

• Like 1

Are you using the new NeoSD cart to make these videos or do you have a badass collection?

I don't have a NeoSD yet. I have a complete MVS collection. You will see the carts in the videos.

I wouldn't be opposed to using the NeoSD for unreleased games in my videos.

I don't have a NeoSD yet. I have a complete MVS collection. You will see the carts in the videos.

I wouldn't be opposed to using the NeoSD for unreleased games in my videos.

I watched the first 4 videos this weekend and saw your MVS collection in the Mahjong video after I had made that post. Very impressive collection! There's a lot of later releases in the library that I don't know very well, but I'm scared if I say that on the NG forums I'll get run out of town. Hopefully that will change after I have my own NeoSD.

I've really enjoyed each video so far, so please don't get burned out making these! Hopefully you can do for the Neo what Chris/spida1a is doing with his TurboViews reviews for the TG-16 library. Keep up the great work!

Hah careful someone might be watching and troll you over there as I still get for defending Saint when he got roughed up trying to run a thread about his NGPC Kit that start shipping this week. :) That is impressive as not many have a full library of arcade carts for the MVS. I'm just over 30 myself, don't see a need nor want to do more than maybe 50 in the end if I'm so lucky. Beyond that no interest or garbage pricing so I'll just keep a hold on my 161in1 for that.