IGNORED

PS4 is popular, but not so popular at AtariAge, why is that?

zzip

PS4 is by far the most popular console on the market today, but our PS4 forum is dead compared to Nintendo and has less posting compared to Xbox (which isn't much more active)

Just wondering why that might be? There's plenty of stuff going on the the playstation world to discuss, and E3 is right around the corner.

Is it that just that the Nintendo brand has more of a nostalgia appeal for older gamers, so there are more of them around?

Many of us might own PS4's (I haven't bought one yet). But this community attracts those interested in stuff from the 70's and 80's more. We're an alternate universe from the real world. Here, there are 100 posts about Atari 2600 Pac-Man and E.T., but only 5 about PS4.

Many of us might own PS4's (I haven't bought one yet). But this community attracts those interested in stuff from the 70's and 80's more. We're an alternate universe from the real world. Here, there are 100 posts about Atari 2600 Pac-Man and E.T., but only 5 about PS4.

Makes sense, except that rule doesn't apply to the Nintendo Switch here, lots of activity in that forum.

PS4 is "fine" but not particularly interesting

Not interesting to you, but it's the best console I've ever owned!

Then again I've only owned 4 consoles in my life: 2600, Jaguar, Wii and PS4- Mostly gamed on PC and Atari ST/XL :)

Now that I'm almost ready to buy PS4, I am confused over the 2 versions. What do I lose if I don't get the newest upgrade of PS4 hardware? I will not own a 4K television for many many years, mind you.

There are some games now that are upgrading the graphics but the patches differ between PS4 and the PS4 Pro. One such example is No Man's Sky in essence the game is the same on both systems but the pro allows for some additional lighting effects and enhanced picture even without a 4K.

I like my PS4 and its probably the better of the new systems in my house here until I decide on a Switch or not. The big thing holding me back on that is the games. No a whole lot out there for Nintendo that I would want that I can't just get elsewhere.

Now that I'm almost ready to buy PS4, I am confused over the 2 versions. What do I lose if I don't get the newest upgrade of PS4 hardware? I will not own a 4K television for many many years, mind you.

The main focus of the new Pro system is 4K. If you don't have a 4K TV, and have no plans to get one, you will lose most of the benefit. Besides 4K, some games have a better framerate at 1080p on the Pro, but not all.

PS4 is by far the most popular console on the market today, but our PS4 forum is dead compared to Nintendo and has less posting compared to Xbox (which isn't much more active)

Just wondering why that might be? There's plenty of stuff going on the the playstation world to discuss, and E3 is right around the corner.

Is it that just that the Nintendo brand has more of a nostalgia appeal for older gamers, so there are more of them around?

Probably because most AAA releases on the PS4 are also on the Xbone, and vice versa, resulting in most of the modern threads to be posted in the general modern console forum. That tends to be my theory anyhow.

Probably because most AAA releases on the PS4 are also on the Xbone, and vice versa, resulting in most of the modern threads to be posted in the general modern console forum. That tends to be my theory anyhow.

Every NIS America title, Atlus titles and tons of anime games from Bandai, Horizon Zero Dawn and many more are not on the Xbox One no.

Edited by Cybermario
  • Like 1

There's more to talk about than cross-platform games

There's been a lot of exclusives this year

VR

E3 is days away, always fun to speculate

But there's nothing except the "what ps4 game are you playing" which gets a post every week or so.

Because its atariage? Lol. Just a thought, but Nintendo more closely matches the game play style of the decrepit old fogies that inhabit this board.

I like ps4 but the last post I did was for yooka-laylee which is closer to my play style than shooting people in the face is.

I want a switch but have yet to see one :(

There's more to talk about than cross-platform games

There's been a lot of exclusives this year

VR

E3 is days away, always fun to speculate

But there's nothing except the "what ps4 game are you playing" which gets a post every week or so.

E3 talk would probably gravitate towards the general forum as well.

As for VR, how many of us have been able to shell out for the 500 odd dollar add on equipment? As those few are probably the only ones who would bother talking about it. As for exclusives, I suppose people would have to want to talk about them. Many of them are the niche jrpgs and such that pop out of japan but not everyone is into those.

When it comes down to it, people would probably reply to a topic that's started but probably can't be bothered to start one themselves. Maybe they're too busy playing games! ;)

Not worth owning a PS4 for me really. Not liking their value towards me as a consumer. Denying me EA Access and backward compatibility has made me back off the console. I'm a retro guy inbetween playing the modern games so having a 360 library on the current XBox is a nice feature I enjoy allot. Plus PS4 and X1 both share like 90% of the 3rd party games here in the states so I'd rather use the remainder of my game money for Coleco and Atari homebrews really. PS4 has some nice 1st party though,would like to play them eventually. But to be brutally honest the only Japanese company I've really only cared about is Sega(since I'm an oldschool Sega fanboy.) Yakuza on PS4 is nice but outside of that they aren't supplying the PS4 with allot of other exclusives so I can do without. I think I'll grab a PS4(or Pro) someday when theyre really dirt cheap and scoop up its exclusives then. Probably when it reaches retro status.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1

Yeah BC would help. I never got a ps3 due to its apocalyptic price point, and by the time it dropped it was to close to the next gen for me to want to pay for it. I got games though, I understand them not being directly compatible, but if I have a disc, why can't it use my disc for verification and load its emu from that?

I only bought one 4 years into it's life, that's how little modern gaming interested me. I'm not interested in an online experience (I can do without homophobic, racist 12 year olds...), paid for DLC, micro-transactions, season passes, and endless yearly iterations of CoD and FIFA. That's not gaming to me. Add to that that the machines in this generation now are treated like PCs where they games are released broken and need endless giant patches to become playable. I suppose is not the fault of the consoles, just of the corporate games industry as it is now. But it still doesn't mean that I like it.

In the end I bought one because there were enough good and interesting games that have appeared and they'd become cheap enough that getting one didn't smart too much.

Most games I want are also on PC. I originally bought my PS4 for Silent Hills, and we all know how infuriating that turned out. It's a nice console and if a PC port is crap or requires something stupid, I get it on PS4. The last game I got for it was RE7, and that looked and ran amazingly. The VR is intriguing and the only thing that has me interested outside a couple exclusives. I haven't seen anything on the horizon for the system exclusively that has me excited except Death Stranding, and that could be three or four years from now.

Edited by xenomorpher

I haven't seen anything on the horizon for the system exclusively that has me excited except Death Stranding, and that could be three or four years from now.

There's actually a few things I'm looking forward to. But, Last of Us 2 aside, none are things I'll buy on release. I always wait until they're discounted, usually by a lot. Stops me making mistakes like buying Mass Effect Andromeda at full price. As a huge Mass Effect fan, I'll wait until that's under a tenner as they weren't arsed making that game so I'm sure as hell not paying much for it ;)

Edited by juansolo