IGNORED

Not sure where to drop this / ataribox

dneedham

Well, I have always liked anything from Atari. I own a heavy-sixxer, around 250 games for it, a 7800, 2600 Jr. , a Jaguar with the JagCD, one each of the 400 and 800, 14 600XLs, 3 800XLs, one of which I upgraded to 256k, 7 or 8 520STs and a 14MB upgrades Falcon030. The Falcon, and Jaguar are my pride and joy. Also my Atari balsa wood gliders and my inflatable red kite. They're pretty cool, too. :)

Well, you certainly pass the height requirement. Odd that someone so heavily invested in Atari gear would have only stumbled into AtariAge for the first time today. How is that you've never been here before, and coincidentally with a need to promote some piece of Atari-related vaporware?

Well, you certainly pass the height requirement. Odd that someone so heavily invested in Atari gear would have only stumbled into AtariAge for the first time today. How is that you've never been here before, and coincidentally with a need to promote some piece of Atari-related vaporware?

I've never been one who talks much to others. I'm sort of a shy person. I came here hoping to find out some info about what this could be. The OLD Atari from back in the day was famous for it's vaporware, then there was that whole debacle with the Coleco Chameleon, (which pissed me off to think that Chris Cardillo and friends made a piece of crapware that looked like a Jaguar...) so I'm just being hopeful that Atari may have (FINALLY) decided to get back into the game, as it were.

So, it's not an AT Games product and not an off-shoot of their Flash Back line... Yet, this item is using the Atari Logo / Trademark pretty prominantly in their design? Even using the LOGO / Name in their promotional material. Brings up a few questions. Is this licensed out by the current rights owner or has there been a change in the legal status of use? "Atari" was leaning fairly heavily on the fan community, a couple of years back, going after websites for hosting emulators, ROMS or even using the word Atari in their URL.

I want a Retron 5 style console but just for Atari systems. Imagine being able to plug in carts from 2600/5200/78000/Jag/Lynx into one box and output to HDMI!? INSTA-buy

This is not that, but I think a sizable niche does indeed want a RetroN 5/Retro Freak style device for pre-Crash systems. There are a lot of reasons why that's unlikely to happen, though, at least from a non-homebrewer. The best bet for accomplishing something like that are the plethora of FPGA-related devices being worked on, man of them discussed here at AtariAge.

So, it's not an AT Games product and not an off-shoot of their Flash Back line... Yet, this item is using the Atari Logo / Trademark pretty prominantly in their design? Even using the LOGO / Name in their promotional material. Brings up a few questions. Is this licensed out by the current rights owner or has there been a change in the legal status of use? "Atari" was leaning fairly heavily on the fan community, a couple of years back, going after websites for hosting emulators, ROMS or even using the word Atari in their URL.

To be clear, this is a current Atari product in partnership with a company who is not AtGames. It is not related to any legacy hardware. It's legit.

• Like 3

To be clear, this is a current Atari product in partnership with a company who is not AtGames. It is not related to any legacy hardware. It's legit.

Spill the beans Bill! Or are you under an NDA? C'mon, we won't tell!

Spill the beans Bill! Or are you under an NDA? C'mon, we won't tell!

I took part in a preview meeting several months back. After that, I was no longer privy to its progress since it doesn't involve any of the companies I deal directly with. I know what it was then, which was not that long ago, so I can't imagine the idea changing much. In any case, since I have zero involvement, it's not my place to spill any beans. I just tried to provide some clarity about some of the more far out theories of what it might be. Otherwise, I'll find out its final form when everyone else does.

• Like 5

Sigh. While our cynicism serves us well most of the time here, it also makes us look unfriendly at times. If a new member is really a "PR schill" it will become very evident by what they post or their lack of knowledge / enthusiasm over time. I would love to see us AA super sleuths be a little more patient before blasting someone the second there is a slight tick on the BS meter.

• Like 3

https://www.newswire.com/news/atgames-announces-the-atari-flashback-8-gold-activision-edition-console-19606192 I haven't bought a FB in several years, but with this new HDMI version I may have to give it a look. It would be nice if they included an SD drive this time like the portable.

If the AtariBox is not from AtGames then I question if it is 2600 related at all, because AtGames would have exclusive rights to the 2600 in their contract with Atari (you would think).

Edited by Brentarian

https://www.newswire.com/news/atgames-announces-the-atari-flashback-8-gold-activision-edition-console-19606192 I haven't bought a FB in several years, but with this new HDMI version I may have to give it a look. It would be nice if they included an SD drive this time like the portable.

If the AtariBox is not from AtGames then I question if it is 2600 related at all, because AtGames would have exclusive rights to the 2600 in their contract with Atari (you would think).

There is no SD slot in the Atari HD products.

To reiterate, the AtariBox has nothing to do with AtGames, cartridges, or legacy consoles of any kind.

• Like 2

Sigh. While our cynicism serves us well most of the time here, it also makes us look unfriendly at times. If a new member is really a "PR schill" it will become very evident by what they post or their lack of knowledge / enthusiasm over time. I would love to see us AA super sleuths be a little more patient before blasting someone the second there is a slight tick on the BS meter.

You're right. My bad.

I am tempted, but hesitant, to submit my email.

Legit product, or propiganda? Bill says it's legit. Some news articles hinting Atari reentering the console race. But tey have about as much chance as the Coleco Chameleon though. I hope someone did not buy the license without a concrete plan to use it? :ponder:

Also news sites proclaiming it like a second coming...

https://www.cnet.com/news/atari-yes-that-atari-teases-new-game-console-ahead-of-e3/

I find this article very funny. https://segmentnext.com/2017/06/10/new-atari-console-atari-box-production-according-video/

They think the console will be like the NES Classic which allows you to play multiple games from the past which is something(according to them) that gamers couldn't previously do in decades with old Atari games. I guess they've been hiding under a rock throughout all the Atari Flashbacks that came out.

Edited by SignGuy81
  • Like 3

I find this article very funny. https://segmentnext.com/2017/06/10/new-atari-console-atari-box-production-according-video/

They think the console will be like the NES Classic which allows you to play multiple games from the past which is something(according to them) that gamers couldn't previously do in decades with old Atari games. I guess they've been hiding under a rock throughout all the Atari Flashbacks that came out.

:facepalm:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Atgames didn't just pull 8years of Flashbacks out of their bum. What the article is describing to a tee. Given the current licensing climate and the success of the Flashbacks (FB8 Activision Gold for the win), I can't imagine "AtariBox" to be a plug and play product competing with AtGames.

So it must be something else entirely, but what? Good things come out of boxes, or so I hear. I wonder what's inside?

649px-Question_Block_Artwork_-_Super_Mar