IGNORED

Ataribox

I would say it would be best considered making a Chameleon 2 out of it. :D

Seriously you've seen my posts here or elsewhere as I've used this account name going on probably a decade now. I go between nice, helpful, blunt, and here and there I can get a bit mean but usually just with due cause. Without getting into detail that could get someone fired or worse I'll just say that both friends and family have been screwed with by that guy in unrelated products so I trust nothing about that company or their dealings because of the ownership alone. That's why I'm not being more specific.

• Like 1

Something like what?

• A table
  • A dust cover
  • A Faraday cage
  • A black hole

Honestly - I don't know. I would have needed to see the specs of the Atari Box.

I would say it would be best considered making a Chameleon 2 out of it. :D

Seriously you've seen my posts here or elsewhere as I've used this account name going on probably a decade now. I go between nice, helpful, blunt, and here and there I can get a bit mean but usually just with due cause. Without getting into detail that could get someone fired or worse I'll just say that both friends and family have been screwed with by that guy in unrelated products so I trust nothing about that company or their dealings because of the ownership alone. That's why I'm not being more specific.

Thank you for chiming in though. You have saved me allot of headache :)

• Like 1

This quote is from an article appearing in VentureBeat back in 2014:

“It’s more than a software brand … it’s a hardware brand.” Chesnais teases.

“I don’t want to say it’s a hardware brand first and foremost, but it is also a hardware brand. So we are carefully looking at … you know … we have a replica of the initial Atari 2600, but that is also something that we want to carefully announce in the course of the next few years, which is that with new licensing with the right partners we build the brand not only in the software space but also in the hardware space.”

No granted, in the next paragraph he goes on to state that "I'm not talking about a new console....but, like a watch", and he goes on to give some other different examples. But who know....maybe this has really been 'years in the making' in the true sense of the phrase? In any event, good article if you get a chance to read it.

• Like 1

This quote is from an article appearing in VentureBeat back in 2014:

“It’s more than a software brand … it’s a hardware brand.” Chesnais teases.

“I don’t want to say it’s a hardware brand first and foremost, but it is also a hardware brand. So we are carefully looking at … you know … we have a replica of the initial Atari 2600, but that is also something that we want to carefully announce in the course of the next few years, which is that with new licensing with the right partners we build the brand not only in the software space but also in the hardware space.”

No granted, in the next paragraph he goes on to state that "I'm not talking about a new console....but, like a watch", and he goes on to give some other different examples. But who know....maybe this has really been 'years in the making' in the true sense of the phrase? In any event, good article if you get a chance to read it.

As you said, the article is from 2014 and they have made a watch... technically... with a licencing partner.

That had a very similar 'mark your calendars! Get hyped! Here's a teaser! Atari's coming back!' viral campaign attempt. That launched on Kickstarter, which gives more weight to my theory that Ataribox plans to go there as well. Probably with a former steambox manufacturer as a licensing partner.

• Like 4

That's why I threw that out there. I just have no trust or hope in this product until a final, if a final that is, system shows up and reviews well by random consumers wiling to take the bullet and not public blowjob figures out for a freebie like gamester slobbing their knob.

I LOL'd at this mental imagery of Shillster81 literally giving fellatio to defunct corporate brand names. I'd say I spewed beer through my nose, but alas, I already drank my fill. :rolling:
  • Like 3

I have a 2600 and a Jaguar. I've kinda joked with people that I have the Alpha and the Omega from Atari. I'll have to get an Ataribox and sell my Jag to keep making that joke...

Whatever... it wasn't that good of a joke anyway...

Not really Atari related, but you forgot the Chameleon! :lolblue:

Atari at this point is a lot like brands such as Polaroid. They just get passed to and fro, from faceless corporation to faceless corporation. So when something like this is announced, I find it a little hard to believe it's going to be revolutionary in any way shape or form. I expect a product more in-line with an Ouya.

That being said, if it has the chops to emulate well and looks good, I might get it just to have an emulation machine in a neat box for little effort. I know there's lots of ways to cram a Rapsberry Pi inside of an old NES, or something like that, but it's still more work than I care to perform.

• Like 1

Again, I have zero relation to the device or Atari. I've made that abundantly clear. I have no horse in this race other than, as usual, to try and be helpful to the community since I always appreciate/appreciated that on the other side. I'm just trying to be helpful in terms of what it absolutely isn't since I knew what it was half a year ago. I also feel professionally obligated not to reveal what I know since it's up to Atari to do the reveal the way they want. I also acknowledged that it may indeed have changed in the time I last saw the idea, but it's unlikely it changed in the radical way that some hope or are guessing.

I would imagine that given their (lack of) market share, lack of public awareness, lack of third party support, and the costs of licensing and utilizing high tech/high end items within the Ataribox that they'll create something relatively modest and that's just fine with me tbh.

The only question that I would ask you is whether or not you thought what you saw was cool or not.

Will most of us enjoy it and do you think that it will help to grow the Atari brand that we all love?

• Like 1

I would imagine that given their (lack of) market share, lack of public awareness, lack of third party support, and the costs of licensing and utilizing high tech/high end items within the Ataribox that they'll create something relatively modest and that's just fine with me tbh.

The only question that I would ask you is whether or not you thought what you saw was cool or not.

Will most of us enjoy it and do you think that it will help to grow the Atari brand that we all love?

I've stated before that it did not personally interest me. I'm a tough, jaded audience, though, with way too much stuff, and way too many technological distractions that occupy my attention for all too brief of a time. Even at the hoped for price point and what it was supposed to offer, etc., I don't see my interest levels or eventual usage (assuming I purchased one) of it transitioning to become one of my precious few mainstay technological platforms. Again, if it hits the price/performance target and they can come up with some compelling use cases, then certainly there's going to be some appeal there to certain audiences. I'm not sure how much appeal this will have to core gamers, retro gamers, etc., though. As I saw at that time - and again, I'm assuming a lot will have changed and continue to change since then (for the better) - that was my impression. My middle-aged, experienced self is quite cautious these days with assuming any of my likes/desires will translate to the likes/desires of others. I'm similarly cautious with giving recommendations beyond whether something works the way it's supposed to or not.

I've stated before that it did not personally interest me. I'm a tough, jaded audience, though, with way too much stuff, and way too many technological distractions that occupy my attention for all too brief of a time. Even at the hoped for price point and what it was supposed to offer, etc., I don't see my interest levels or eventual usage (assuming I purchased one) of it transitioning to become one of my precious few mainstay technological platforms. Again, if it hits the price/performance target and they can come up with some compelling use cases, then certainly there's going to be some appeal there to certain audiences. I'm not sure how much appeal this will have to core gamers, retro gamers, etc., though. As I saw at that time - and again, I'm assuming a lot will have changed and continue to change since then (for the better) - that was my impression. My middle-aged, experienced self is quite cautious these days with assuming any of my likes/desires will translate to the likes/desires of others. I'm similarly cautious with giving recommendations beyond whether something works the way it's supposed to or not.

Holy moly we should have a sticky just for this.

I was searching for quite sometime for a sentence or two that would summarize those exact feelings .... nice!!!!! .... and so true!!!

• Like 1

Do you work for them?

Ouch. My poor hype. :(

You did say it is a console that plays new games though. If development is open, I'll be on board.

I don't believe I called it a console and I don't remember commenting on what games it played. I seem to recall only stating some of the things it wasn't.