IGNORED

Ataribox

Crowdfunding? So that means, not only don't they want to say what it is, they don't even have enough confidence in the idea to put their own money up front?

Ataribox can go take a hike. Seriously, this is screaming "cash grab".

That's assuming they actually have any money to put on anything. That's more likely the reason for crowdfunding it than anything else.

• Like 1

Well, it seems Ataribox will be crowdfunded according to this article written after a shareholder meeting: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.zonebourse.com%2FATARI-2168735%2Factualite%2FAtari-Le-Groupe-Atari-reaffirme-sa-strategie-de-croissance-rentable-a-l-issue-du-salon-des-jeux-vi-24638926%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2F

I guess I get to keep all the hair on my head.

Anyone with an eye on the industry could tell these guys don't have anything worth their hype and that usually smells like crowdfunding. /v/ is going to slaughter this thing, it's what they wanted all along, farming a new meme.

Please tell me that last one is fake. lol

Stoppy, where have you been? You seem to be about 2 weeks behind with this topic. :? :? :?

What is /v/, some 4chan dickery? I'm honestly torn between curiosity about what the trolls think of "Atari" and wanting to stay far far away from that cesspool. I guess the best memes will find their way here, right?

Yes, of course the Stevie Wonder Atari ad is fake. He did make an advertisement in Pennsylvania against drunk driving many years ago, though. "Before I'll ride with a drunk, I'll drive myself."

• Like 1

^ well yeah I speak 'Muricano, not French, so I didn't know that such an article existed in June about an Atari shareholder's meeting on Ataribox until someone pointed me to it. None of the rest of us here knew either, it was the first real confirmation that they're going to crowdfunding.

As for /v/, I recommend you go pay a visit, it's one of the few popular free speech sites left. You can go there and post any opinion you have no matter how insidious, offensive, deranged or flawed and as long as you're not breaking the law then no one will stop you. You don't have to agree with everything that's said there, I know I don't. It's not always pretty but if you can't handle 4chan then you probably don't stand up for free speech like you think you do. Which is fine, I know on a site like AtariAge I need to stay in my lane or else, but if you think this is what free speech looks like then you don't know what you're missing.

As for /v/, I recommend you go pay a visit, it's one of the few popular free speech sites left. You can go there and post any opinion you have no matter how insidious, offensive, deranged or flawed and as long as you're not breaking the law then no one will stop you. You don't have to agree with everything that's said there, I know I don't. It's not always pretty but if you can't handle 4chan then you probably don't stand up for free speech like you think you do. Which is fine, I know on a site like AtariAge I need to stay in my lane or else, but if you think this is what free speech looks like then you don't know what you're missing.

Let's not bait the kiddos, senpai. Keep it on topic, please.

• Like 1

We sure enjoyed our 'Ataribox' years ago, ohhhhh yes. Several games, as well as the deck and sticks, all fit neatly inside the box. One of my sisters was the Stampede champion of the neighborhood.

We had this same model, and what an Ataribox it was:

attachicon.gif102688456.lg.jpg

I saw a Game Mechanix in Monroe, LA (or was it West Monroe) had a display case exactly like this. I liked the clear top. Neat for collectors who want to display stuff...

I've been staring at this ad for like five minutes. It can't be real.

Can it?

It's real alright, real cringeworthy.

http://kotaku.com/sorry-that-crazy-stevie-wonder-atari-poster-is-fake-1570104210

Nice Photoshop job though.

oytot91vxpemzlptnrka.jpg

Also what Flojo said:

Stoppy, where have you been? You seem to be about 2 weeks behind with this topic. :? :? :?

What is /v/, some 4chan dickery? I'm honestly torn between curiosity about what the trolls think of "Atari" and wanting to stay far far away from that cesspool. I guess the best memes will find their way here, right?

Yes, of course the Stevie Wonder Atari ad is fake. He did make an advertisement in Pennsylvania against drunk driving many years ago, though. "Before I'll ride with a drunk, I'll drive myself."

• Like 1

Just got another email from atari box. This is what was inside.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Our objective is to create a new product that stays true to our heritage while appealing to both old and new fans of Atari.

Inspired by classic Atari design elements (such as the iconic use of wood, ribbed lines, and raised back); we are creating a smooth design, with ribs that flow seamlessly all around the body of the product, a front panel that can be either wood or glass, a front facing logo, indicator lights that glow through the material, and an array of new ports (HDMI, 4xUSB, SD). We intend to release two editions: a wood edition, and a black/red edition.
As you can guess, those ports suggest modern internal specs. It also means that while we will be delivering classic gaming content, we will also be delivering current gaming content.
We know you are hungry for more details; on specs, games, features, pricing, timing etc. We’re not teasing you intentionally; we want to get this right, so we’ve opted to share things step by step as we bring Ataribox to life, and to listen closely to Atari community feedback as we do so. There are a lot of milestones, challenges and decision points in front of us in the months ahead. We’ll be giving you lots more information and status updates as we progress, and we are thrilled to have you along for the ride!

• Like 2

Kotaku has an update, too. Some people are piling on in the comments for the author's "hate" (or flippancy, or dismissal) in the "whatever that is" headline. Seems appropriate to me.

I'm not sure what they're going for here

post-2410-0-73381300-1500304725.jpg

but it's about as exciting as this

post-2410-0-02183300-1500304741_thumb.jpeg

I suppose the red logo

post-2410-0-15462700-1500304788.jpg

is in fashion now, like the hideous "gamer laptops" used by frat boys nowadays

post-2410-0-37962600-1500304871.jpg

and the orange highlights

post-2410-0-39985800-1500304922.jpg

just scream "2008 Sega Genesis AtGames Gopher Firecore Handheld" to me. That thing played some GAMES, man.

post-2410-0-00136400-1500304949.jpgpost-2410-0-03103400-1500305825.jpg

Pro tip: it's 2017. Stop putting the controller ports on the back, dummy Atari.

• Like 1

Is it too late to point out that Atari in 2017 has nothing to do with Atari of the 70s & 80s? You might as well call it the InfogrammesBox... or the HasbroInteractiveBox. It's not the same company. As much as I love the legacy, I'm not pretending that Atari somehow hung on and survived to the present day. Of course, if they put out a great product I might be interested but that has little to do with the Atari name being slapped on there.

• Like 6

Best snarky comment I've seen so far courtesy of someone on NEOGaf:

I hope the controller has four face buttons: O, U, Y and A

That's pretty funny.

Like other wannabes lately, doing as well as the Ouya is a BEST CASE scenario. Despite its failure as a product and platform, at least it came out. It also received a crap-ton of user-generated software. Yes, most of it was crap, but the same could be said of the VCS, NES, or other "classic" libraries. Read my spirited defense of the thing here.

Holy d-pads, the "O-Rank" list is still up. Retro still figures big in the top 20.

4. Playstation

6. GameBoy Advance

7. Super Nintendo

11. Nintendo

15. Sega Genesis/Sega CD/Master System

18. Another World (a.k.a. Out of This World)

• Like 1