IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

For what it's worth I have not clicked on either of these links. Originating domain was smtp.mcpherson.bluehornet.com and the email came from atarinewsletter@atari.com

ATARIBOX: COMING SOON!

The buzz on Ataribox continues to grow, and we can’t wait to share more news in the weeks ahead.

Ataribox will first be made available via a crowdfunding campaign this Fall 2017 with shipments planned to start in Spring 2018.

Why Crowdfunding? Amazing brands are driven by amazing communities. Coming back to hardware is an important step for Atari, and something we intend to do carefully, hand-in-hand with the Atari community that loves our brand as much as we do. Crowdfunding is the ultimate community approach to bring great products to life; and for Atari, it allows us to reward our community with exclusive access, special editions, and include them as active participants in the rollout of the Ataribox.

Sign up now at www.ataribox.com to join our community and be among the first to get news and updates!

CHECK IT OUT !
Edited by leech
  • Like 1

ATARIBOX: COMING SOON!

The buzz on Ataribox continues to grow, and we can’t wait to share more news in the weeks ahead.

Ataribox will first be made available via a crowdfunding campaign this Fall 2017 with shipments planned to start in Spring 2018.

Why Crowdfunding? Amazing brands are driven by amazing communities. Coming back to hardware is an important step for Atari, and something we intend to do carefully, hand-in-hand with the Atari community that loves our brand as much as we do. Crowdfunding is the ultimate community approach to bring great products to life; and for Atari, it allows us to reward our community with exclusive access, special editions, and include them as active participants in the rollout of the Ataribox.

Sign up now at www.ataribox.com to join our community and be among the first to get news and updates!

CHECK IT OUT !

post-61233-0-77421900-1504128922.jpeg

post-61233-0-75469000-1504129004.jpg

ATARIBOX: COMING SOON(?)

The buzz on Ataribox continues to sputter because we don't have any news to share.

Ataribox will try to raise money via a crowdfunding campaign.

Why Crowdfunding? We can't afford anything else. Coming back to hardware is an important step for Atari, and something we will likely mess up, then blame the Atari community that loves our brand more than we do. For Atari, it allows us to reward our community with exclusive access and special editions (because it's impossible to do that without crowdfunding?) and include them as free idea generators for the rollout of the Ataribox.

CHECK IT OUT !
  • Like 1

I'm also thinking it's just another ploy to get e-mail addresses. Just like when HP had that 80's-ish "Computer Show." I was going to send a letter to them via their address shown during their show, but glad I didn't otherwise I'll get junk mail from them and others.

They can't even do that right since I'm on the list and didn't get the latest email. This doesn't bode well for the success of this "product"

They can't even do that right since I'm on the list and didn't get the latest email. This doesn't bode well for the success of this "product"

I'm on the list and didn't get the email either. Strange, I got the last one they sent out prior to this .

I run my own email server, so it could be you two share gmail or something in common and Google blocks advertisements that aren't theirs? :P

Well mine is hotmail, and I did get the last email about the reveal. I checked junkmail etc to make sure and nothing is there either

I don't get all the negativity. I mean, really, give these guys a chance. As long as the product delivers a diverse transmedia experience and speaks to me while staying true to it's roots, I'll think it's cool. Oh, and it has to have blast processing, definitely blast processing.

Reason why it's getting negativity is the term, "crowdfunding." http://mashable.com/2017/07/17/ataribox-crowdfunding-red-flag/#HxkdcRMWPPqS

They should have left the L out. "Ataribox crowdfunding plan is a giant, fapping red flag"

Seriously, crowd funded hardware... probably not a good sign if it is by what is supposedly a functioning company. That right there is the difference. If someone from the Atari forums said they were making a STfm motherboard replacement schematic, but might need to crowd fund it, I (along with I'm sure others) would be all over that. Or for example an Atari Portable, again I'd be all over that. But for Atari (only owner of the name and some IP, since they auctioned off quite a lot) to crowd fund something makes people want to stay away.

Big difference between a company that doesn't know how to manage their money well enough and someone with fantastic ideas, known shipping products, and just needs a bit of start up capital to help carry the larger projects through.

Perhaps if Atari were smart (vs desperate) they'd ask for $1 pledges maximum for a 'are you interested in what we're doing' and then show the world what they plan, and then based on how many one dollar pledges, they could then tell they hit a gold mine and would use the list of the ones who pledged a dollar as the 'pre-order' list where they could choose to have their dollar back, or to spend $xxx for the AtariBox. Oh, and they most certainly need to rename it......

I don't see any problem with them crowdfunding it. There are many reasons they would be doing this including the additional exposure, getting the funding to do it, and having an exact amount of orders to manufacture - as opposed to taking out a loan on a guess of how many you think will sell initially.. As for established companies crowdfunding. GPD crowdfunded the GPD WIN and that has turned out very successull , even then they still crowdfunded their latest product the GPD Pocket.

At the end of the day, just wait to see what exactly they are offering and what price. If it's something you like, back it, if not don't.

I don't see any problem with them crowdfunding it. There are many reasons they would be doing this including the additional exposure, getting the funding to do it, and having an exact amount of orders to manufacture - as opposed to taking out a loan on a guess of how many you think will sell initially.. As for established companies crowdfunding. GPD crowdfunded the GPD WIN and that has turned out very successull , even then they still crowdfunded their latest product the GPD Pocket.

At the end of the day, just wait to see what exactly they are offering and what price. If it's something you like, back it, if not don't.

It's almost certainly funding, but that in and of itself shouldn't really matter. It's just rather late in the game for companies - especially companies with some pretty solid name recognition - to fund what is essentially a commodity hardware project. That kind of stuff went down much easier in the early days of Kickstarter, but now, with a relatively mature service, there have been plenty of "been there, done that" types of projects. I can certainly understand the burn-out on it all. I know my own crowdfunding support has dropped dramatically in recent years.

it's also important to keep perspective of what minority groups like the ones who frequent message boards like this one desire versus what the "average" person/consumer desires. The former group is incredibly picky and demanding (nothing wrong with that) and at times is impossible to satisfy because they REALLY know what they want, while the latter group either doesn't notice or better tolerates things either due to lack of knowledge or simple lack of overall care/caring. Unfortunately, for the interest of better products, the latter group almost always wins out, although we can also thank them for keeping products within a reasonable price point, because again, there are times when if the "knowledge group" had their way, we'd have amazing, but incredibly high-priced products. The best products of course are the ones that can balance the needs/requirements/desires of both markets.

My long-winded point is, for all those saying "let's wait and see" or "I don't get the criticism" kind of misses the spirit of a discussion forum like this. Of course the "knowledge group" is going to blow holes in initiatives like this.

• Like 2