IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

5 hours ago, Lodmot said:

HOLY SHIT, THEY ACTUALLY SHOWED OFF THE UI FINALLY..... lol. o 3 o

........... and it looks nothing like the original "concept" UI:

And yet, it looks like every other UI in the world, Roku, TiVo, AppleTV, AndroidTV, Playstation, Xbox, Steam, Switch, 3DS ... a grid of content. Except Atari stuff is from the time of the Carter administration. 

5 hours ago, dj_convoy said:

Just one big Asteroid you shoot at for like ten minutes. :D

Space Miner is a fabulous game, and there's a level like that called "Piñata." It's ten years old. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Seems like they're further behind than even us haters thought. What an hilarious shitshow this is.

I couldn't stop laughing at their new update. I lost it when they mentioned they're demonstrating "Sandbox Mode" with Windows. Congratulations guys, you brought a Windows PC to your hotel!

On a somewhat related note, I got my first experience with a PowerA controller recently. My brother bought two wired controllers for his Switch - one from PDP and one from PowerA. The PDP controller is okay - a bit cheap and ultimately not as good as the official Pro Controller, but it's not horrible, and the stick design seems like an improvement over the official one. 

The PowerA controller is horrible. Feels like one of those cheap and nasty third-party PlayStation controllers from a couple of decades ago. Even if their Atari controllers are real, I wouldn't even pay $5 for the misfortune to use something of that non-existent quality. 

So anyway, who's up for reporting Atari to the CTA for outboarding~?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

Image may contain: screen and indoor

In addition to the singular "Asteroid," they also spelled "Yars' Revenge" wrong.

Hoops Clash is a mobile game. Every Atari 2600 title they own is on last year's Atari Flashback, and here's one for $26 shipped. They don't deserve Tempest 4000. 

What a shameful lack of attention to detail regarding their own meager intellectual property. There ought to be a law against this kind of malpractice. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Flojomojo said:

In addition to the singular "Asteroid," they also spelled "Yars' Revenge" wrong.

Hoops Clash is a mobile game. Every Atari 2600 title they own is on last year's Atari Flashback, and here's one for $26 shipped. They don't deserve Tempest 4000. 

What a shameful lack of attention to detail regarding their own meager intellectual property. There ought to be a law against this kind of malpractice. 

I didn't realise Hoops Clash was on mobile. Would explain the simplistic controls. But to be fair, it's also on Steam and it does support Linux (not sure if it's a native port or just uses Proton). 

But yeah, their continued ignorance of their own properties is embarrassing and, indeed, shameful. 

Oh, and one other thing I wanted to add that just came to mind: 

Since nobody (sane) makes Linux GUIs in Unity, it seems likely to me that their Unity-made GUI is what they're showing at (their hotel room near) CES.

In other words, what they actually used Unity to make was a glorified tech demo featuring what the GUI might look like if they ever make real software. Which I doubt they'll do. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

It's not a mistake. Some retooling was required to get the games going on the platform, but they've managed to squeeze the game play into one asteroid. And likewise one Yar. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Lodmot said:

Lol... o 3 o

Nice. Atari branded 'his n hers' emory boards, tongue depressers & popsicle sticks available in chocolate, vanilla AND strawberry.  

Can't wait to try them out after firing up these solar powered VCS's.  

Oh, wait...

tenor.gif

• Haha 10
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lodmot said:

Image may contain: screen and indoor

2 hours ago, ColecoJoe said:

ASTEROID???

That sounds like a really boring game.

Ladies and Gentleman... thanks to an amazingly talented friend of mine that shares my sense of humor, I give you an

ATARI AGE EXCLUSIVE!!!

Here's a sneak peek of the revolutionary new VCS (2600) game, Asteroid...

asteroid.bin

• Haha 11

Well, we knew they would likely have at least one working board ready for show at CES and that creating a basic menu like this one wouldn't be too difficult. Most of the design put into their existing assets on display and of the hardware itself, is mostly of others efforts, with scarce evidence they've been duly compensated for.  Did get a chuckle out of their Breakout graphic, though, as it looks like the place-holder is just a capture of the Google Easter-Egg from awhile back. As others have said, that's what bothers the most, the lack of fore-sight, planning and the blind eye toward and general ignorance of Atari's legacy, while taking no risk on their own part. It shows they have little real reason to believe that they have a future from anything created within and are just latching onto and squeezing the name for all they can.

If they had offered an anniversary joystick, many would have been on-board. Anniversary coins, sure. Go full PBS Pledge Break and offer the posters, coffee mugs and tote-bags, sure-sure. Asking creatives to submit designs or approaching them to share them on their web-site, with profit-sharing, would have been a great out-reach. Within the past two, three years they could have built something, garnered support, maybe have built the resources to do this "for realsies". First the stick, then the console, then real out-reach to developers - this could have literally been a THING. Nope, everything has been for the cash-grab with the least amount of effort and risk. Anything creative that has been seen to take from that, C&Ds put forth, with a threat of legal action. On top of all of this, the utter depths of dishonesty, in this new console tomfoolery, well, in all of their dealings, tarnishes their endeavors and their reputation beyond any hope. This console will just be the latest fizzle, then it will fade away as another failure. 

Atari, as it exists now, just needs to do just that, fade away and whatever assets they retain be put into the Public Domain. Most of the classic IP hasn't been profitable for a generation, now. Build a museum, gather up as much of what made it a great brand, as is feasible, and show-case it, there. Charge a small admittance fee and have playable cabinets and consoles. Maybe throw in some cheap pizza...  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3