IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

2 hours ago, Lodmot said:

EDIT: Wait a minute... what the fuck? What's up with the jump cut at the 9 second mark? 

2nd edit: Just realized you already pointed that out. LOL. Oopsie on my part. o u o

3rd edit: Question regarding the mirror-- can anyone see if our friendly mirror can tell us whether HDMI cable is in fact coming out of the Atari VCS and going up to the TV?

There is hope for you yet, Tommy. ?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

There is hope for you yet, Tommy. ?

You can say that again, lol. New video on their Twitter showing Fortnite gameplay, and now this article just appeared:

https://uk.pcmag.com/nintendo-switch/124433/hands-on-with-the-atari-vcs-a-strange-streaming-slice-of-nostalgia?fbclid=IwAR1TtxPrioe5jaQIY0vznl7q-9m1STaJjvFwgFCzyL0Pw1K_WTiyCi84ReQ

Frankly, I'm actually impressed. Seems like they've got a functional system here. Can't believe I'm actually saying this, color me stunned-- but Kudos to Atari. o 3 o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing will come of this dream station box, no one is going to waste time making any games for it other than crappy updated versions of Air Raid and such.
Then when they fade into obscurity they will go back to the dank hole they came from, making flashbacks with the same old games from the 2600, peddling T-shirts and cr*p.
What is really sad is that as a computer, this thing is worthless. Remember netbooks? I do I bought one, but I got it on liquidation from Toys R Us
The only thing this will be good for is a show piece used to play Mame and emulators.

As for the backers, I have no words to "Console" (pardon the pun) you.

The official death of the Coleco Chameleon was on

"On March 8, 2016, Coleco Holdings announced they had withdrawn their name and all Coleco branding from the project"

The debut of the AtariBox was on June 2017

"Atari VCS (codename Ataribox) is an upcoming home video game console produced by Atari, SA. The system was first revealed in June 2017"

That is a 15 month gap, You all should have been suspicious of this Scam from day 1. But no, you all ate it up like 2-4-1 99c Tacos.
you all better hope they used decent quality components or this thing will not be worth anything as a collector item, if they indeed ship 10K units expect collector value to be non-existant unless it is sealed and never opened... in 20 years.

Atari is on the same train tracks as Mike and the Chameleon, the only thing is that this time there are more passengers and the train has not derailed yet, but when it does.. I will be ever so gratefull for the month of entertainment after the crash, and I will enjoy all of it with 0 guilt, mainly because there are no employees that will lose a job. I will be stocking up on many snacks / taco mix / salsa just to be ready on the day the Atari video game crash of 2020 happens.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

You can say that again, lol. New video on their Twitter showing Fortnite gameplay, and now this article just appeared:

https://uk.pcmag.com/nintendo-switch/124433/hands-on-with-the-atari-vcs-a-strange-streaming-slice-of-nostalgia?fbclid=IwAR1TtxPrioe5jaQIY0vznl7q-9m1STaJjvFwgFCzyL0Pw1K_WTiyCi84ReQ

Frankly, I'm actually impressed. Seems like they've got a functional system here. Can't believe I'm actually saying this, color me stunned-- but Kudos to Atari. o 3 o

Is it me or does that article really not say much?

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

It mostly reads like Atari press release fluff to me, and it doesn't describe anything we haven't seen them post on Twitter.  No talk of gameplay at all.  Also the Fortnite video kinda seems set up so that you can't determine the graphics settings or resolution.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

It mostly reads like Atari press release fluff to me, and it doesn't describe anything we haven't seen them post on Twitter.  No talk of gameplay at all.  Also the Fortnite video kinda seems set up so that you can't determine the graphics settings or resolution.

it's hard to get past the price when Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all offer much more mature game ecosystems and either more processing power or mobility for around the same price.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

i.e. they are summarizing this thread for us (sans tacos): There are no games to warrant a $300 price tag, the chances of anyone jumping on board the VCS to bring games that people want when all three console makers are launching more powerful hardware this year are nil, and no one in their right mind would want to buy this to do PC things with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Inky said:

it's hard to get past the price when Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all offer much more mature game ecosystems and either more processing power or mobility for around the same price.

That's why I said "mostly", but no mention of the delays/problems or even that the project was crowdfunded in the first place.  The price of the Atari VCS compared to other consoles is absurd, so Atari is probably trying to get out in front of it by admitting it's expensive and spinning it as worthwhile because you can install Windows.

Edited by Paul Slocum
  • Like 1

Honestly I'm saddened by all this, because as it turned out-- they actually have a system of some sort... and it's a pretty neat-looking piece of hardware. But Atari burned me as a developer with their shoddy communication, so I'm not making my game for them anymore. ?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Lodmot said:

Honestly I'm saddened by all this, because as it turned out-- they actually have a system of some sort... and it's a pretty neat-looking piece of hardware. But Atari burned me as a developer with their shoddy communication, so I'm not making my game for them anymore. ?

SANDBOX MODE BRUH!!!!!

• Haha 8

14 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

i.e. they are summarizing this thread for us (sans tacos): There are no games to warrant a $300 price tag, the chances of anyone jumping on board the VCS to bring games that people want when all three console makers are launching more powerful hardware this year are nil, and no one in their right mind would want to buy this to do PC things with.

" It seems almost destined to be the game system your weird techhead friend eagerly preorderes and either swears by as a very specific platform for exactly the types of games they like, or modifies it into a home theater PC/Plex server/bitcoin miner purely because they can."

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

SANDBOX MODE BRUH!!!!!

LOL. xDD

Honestly though-- it's depressing. >.< I remember originally being so excited to develop an exclusive game, and what I got from Atari just felt like a big smack in the face. And now we're actually getting more glimpses of hardware, and it looks fun > w <

Meanwhile, some actual cool tech to be found at CES and on the actual expo floor instead of hiding in the shadows:

Notice that no one is mentioning the VCS as cool or interesting tech...or even mentioning it at all

1215313274209652736https://twitter.com/ArcadeDev/status/1215313274209652736

https://twitter.com/3rd_factory_ro/status/1214985049990291456

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
Twitter links didn't embed, so changed to direct links
  • Like 5

Here's another thing that removes the wind from the "well, they just couldn't afford a booth space!" claim - How come the official Atari Pong Table unit has their own booth space?* Why wouldn't Atari chuck in a few bucks to join them and unveil the VCS in it's glory for the whole world to see?

https://twitter.com/ataripongtable/status/1215306302953525248

*Answer:  Because it's being done by a different company that got the Atari license, but where they can afford it, then how come Atari, about to launch a big new product, can't? 

• Like 7

So we finally get some footage of a game playing. The first one awkwardly goes through Windows 10 to get the menu before gameplay, the second has some actual gameplay with a camera that probably came out sometime in the late 20th century, or at least someone who has never used one before in their life. 

We still have mysterious wires leading to places we can't see, and potentially fake wires being moved to pretend it's real. The angle of the two videos is completely different meaning we can't even confirm that was the same session or not. Not only that, but ataris own os seems to contain nothing more than a menu that leads to nowhere other than misspelt game names - that a standard Windows OS that was probably downloaded for free and not on a paid license is probably the only thing that works but only because its been released already by someone competent. 

Either

A) it's all still a load of bull poop and it's all fake and there is a pc hidden away

B) it actually is real but it's so problematic that cloak and shadows are still having to be used to show that anything works.

• Like 6

And still not a single unedited video of the system being hooked up to a tv and showing the full boot to any game and playing it. It might function in some capacity BUT what they are showing is still smoke and mirrors, 100 percent. I look forward to being shown different.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Shawn said:

And still not a single unedited video of the system being hooked up to a tv and showing the full boot to any game and playing it. It might function in some capacity BUT what they are showing is still smoke and mirrors, 100 percent. I look forward to being shown different.

I might differ just a smidge. The videos are definitely awkward and edited, I'll grant you that. But with the two videos we got today-- the bootup sequence and the Fortnite gameplay-- I would go as far as to say that the Atari VCS does in fact exist to some capacity now. 

Now one thing that's definitely uncertain-- can they make 10k of these? Lol...

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 3