IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

42 minutes ago, Inky said:

As some may know, this year is the 30th anniversary of one of my top ten movies, Tremors.  What does this have to do with the Atacobox?

Well, on a Tremors fan page on Facebook, a fan wants to make a sequel...and he's starting with the logo before he even writes a story. Sound familiar?

Make a movie, starting with the logo!

And he can add old stock footage as well.  It worked for The Creature from the Black Lagoon series.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, racerx said:

Likely because they're running out of unbanned pigeons.

Nah it's more of an ego trip thing. I CAN DO THIS, but I won't because well I'm not like that. BUT I AM BECAUSE i HAVE BEEN, (but I won't admit that). They really don't seem to get that we just find this fun and a majority aren't really mad about it. If you notice a majority of the people besides the usual people don't say anything in there. I think the vocal ones like the Werners and Lucas will be happy with what they get. I don't think that will be the majority though. I think with how it was presented and when you look at people's reactions, a majority were expecting an actual console. Not a PC that masqueraded as a console until they couldn't lock in games and such. Those are the people who actually are probably mad. There are probably people here that are mad too to be fair. I went from excited, to disappointed, to eh I'll just have fun because it.

It will be interesting to see all the initial reviews of peoples units. 72 days and counting (Gamestop timeline, since there is no backer one).

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, OCAT said:

Would it be considered unlawful if one were to claim the backer money given to Atari as a capital loss if indeed this never comes out and Cheesehead cuts and runs? or is this money considered as a "Donation"

I really see no lawsuits coming from this.There is a risk with backing anything. That is why it is always good to take time to judge if something is worth the risk. I've really only had one shakey backing and I did that very late into the campaign. Everything else I have done has been super smooth.

29 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

They really don't seem to get that we just find this fun and a majority aren't really mad about it. 

Yeah, that was kind of the point I was trying to make in my "open letter" earlier. To hear them say it, we're all frothing at the mouth over the VCS when for most of us it's just a fun joke.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

Yeah, that was kind of the point I was trying to make in my "open letter" earlier. To hear them say it, we're all frothing at the mouth over the VCS when for most of us it's just a fun joke.

We are darn serious about tacos though. I need to buy some of that hot sauce and I bet I have a hard time finding the exxtra hot.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, OCAT said:

What happens if a backer gets a console, and it is defective? Does this fall under consumer protection? or is Atari not in any obligation since this was not a "sale" and more of a "As IS" delivery. And if I am mistaken all electronics in other places in the world have 2 years warranty to Combat® E-waste.
Or perhaps Atari is going teh skeezy way of "Pay for shipping to and back from China" that would make it pointless to get warranty.
Atari could ship an unfinished system if they had to, that would make it even more of a collectable. But I am wondering, can Atari charge backers extra for shipping? or would that land them in legal trouble?

(Edit; I am not calling this thing E-waste, that would be too generous a compliment xD )

13 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Do a search for XSolla in this thread, they're doing support and logistics. One year warranty and up to one (only) replacement console. 

I believe the EU mandates a 2-year warranty. Australia too. Not sure about here in NZ - it's probably the same. 

Plus, a lot of countries have some form of consumer guarantees act like NZ has, where s product must last a "reasonable" amount of time. It's vague, but a PC should be at least 3 years. 

Though I'd typically say it's a crowdfund and so a lawsuit would go nowhere, it's entirely possible it goes the route of... was it the Vega+? Where the court determined that Indiegogo was being used to explicitly sell pre-orders and thus it was false advertising, or something like that, and so the lawsuit had merit. 

Honestly, I hope that happens here but from what we've seen, I'm doubting anyone who backed the VCS will want, let alone afford, to sue Atari.

All I want to see is them not getting off screwing over customers (and more eyes on shady Indiegogo crap wouldn't hurt, because if it helps set precedent or even create laws to prevent this sort of blatant consumer exploitation in the future, that would hopefully be a good thing). 

On 1/19/2020 at 1:04 AM, godslabrat said:

Darn right I'm jealous of the cheese. Best thing France ever did.  Well, that and they decided to stop pissing off the Germans.

I have some Brie in the fridge that came as part of a mixed cheese pack. It's staying there until it decomposes. I love cheese but I don't like French cheeses.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tickled_Pink said:

I have some Brie in the fridge that came as part of a mixed cheese pack. It's staying there until it decomposes. 

If we stop paying attention to Freddy Cheesnais, ignoring his presence on the interwebs, will the same happen to him? ?

zombiefred.png.62465158cafbc8a7d503d03ebb61ee1b.png

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Inky said:

As some may know, this year is the 30th anniversary of one of my top ten movies, Tremors.  What does this have to do with the Atacobox?

Well, on a Tremors fan page on Facebook, a fan wants to make a sequel...and he's starting with the logo before he even writes a story. Sound familiar?

Of course it sounds familiar.  Team Savage™ developed the plot, multiscreen layout, custom controller specs, licensing proposal, marketing strategy, release date, and projected sales figures for a game that had never had a single line of code written years before this copycat came along.

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, OCAT said:

Would it be considered unlawful if one were to claim the backer money given to Atari as a capital loss if indeed this never comes out and Cheesehead cuts and runs? or is this money considered as a "Donation"

I think it will eventually come out in some form. My guess is early 2021, and it will be hopelessly outclassed by everything, even if it technically works and does what it long ago claimed it could do. 

If they just cancelled it, that would be embarrassing, but not technically illegal. Atari GameBox LLC is a legally separate entity from Atari SA, and crowdfunding pre-sale language is thick with "you are contributing to a project, not ordering a product."

Everyone who put in money has agreed to individual arbitration, with a $200 fee to start the process, and no option for class action. They've already had their money locked out from being refunded as of around fall 2018. To bring a lawsuit against "Atari" would cost more than any individual has already thrown in. It would literally be throwing good money after bad. 

Anyone who put money into a Walmart or GameStop preorder should be able to get it back without hassles. I can't imagine there are many people in that situation, though.

All of this was clearly understood even before they began the campaign, with multiple contract-style things to read before any money changed hands.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Inky said:

Back in the 70s and 80s Roger Corman (and others) would do this to great effectiveness with their Drive-in and direct to VHS movies.  They'd come up with a title and a poster and pre-sell the idea to various theater chains around the world (back when there were more than 3) and have the home video rights ready to go.  They'd use the money raised to actually make the movie.  

The difference however is that Roger Corman is a professional, was surrounded by professionals, and could actually deliver a project on time (or in the case of Atari, just deliver a project)

• Like 8

12 hours ago, OCAT said:

Its extremely grey. Its why I have only ever backed projects by people I trust had a viable product or software that already existed - and were only funding upgrades or continued development.

If its a good product it will sell itself when it hits shelves. If I was another company that shared the Atari name I would be extremely worried my brand recognition was about to go down the pan. Cancelling a Smart watch is niche, consoles is not.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

We are darn serious about tacos though. I need to buy some of that hot sauce and I bet I have a hard time finding the exxtra hot.

Tacos are serious business. Without tacos, the world economy will collapse and civilization as we know it will come to an end.

• Like 3

I like boutique sauces but when in a pinch enjoy Texas Pete.  I ran out and had to get a sauce from the supermarket and got Texas Pete Hotter.  It’s uncomfortable straight, and doesn’t taste as good imo to the original, it not like Atari VCS in that it’s inexpensive and you can try it today.

A4AFE489-D29A-4927-A65E-3BB320627F94.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

20200121-1.jpg

Champagne comedy. Just want you to know it was totally worth the effort you put into making this. Gold!

I'd have that address box containing the fields "paypal ID" and "password" too :)

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 5