IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

42 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

Jesus wept, I wonder how long that took Stefan to copy and write out.

Guessing he cut and paste the whole article, but...

key words:

"Arzi" (misspelling of michael arzt's last name - could be from werner or the original article)

"console" (although it's not a console)

"resurgence" (that's what they are calling atari's activity - a resurgence)

"game shows" (potential next steps if the "console" fails)

"feature films" (another potential next step if the "console" fails)

nothing about developing new games though.  huh.

reading this really makes me wish I had some tacos.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cybercylon said:

There is a good chunk of the population, especially younger ones that don't much about Atari in the first place, so who is the target audience for these hotels? The plan is to have 8 of them? I don't get it.

It's absolutely absurd.  First of all, hotel economics aren't exactly favorable in the first place... it's not quite the money pit restaurants are, but it's close.  Second, like you said, no one really cares about Atari.  It's not a draw.  

The bit about hosting esports events was slightly interesting.  I suspect it's just typical Atari BS, but on the off chance it wasn't... it MIGHT be worthwhile if they actually dedicate themselves to hosting the esports crowds.  It's perhaps the least ridiculous notion in that long fluff piece.

• Like 2

I'm based in the old world, are any of the planned hotels in any areas associated with the gaming or streaming industries? I guess that would help with seasonal sales as someone going to a trade show or GDQ event might think: "hey let's goto the atari Hotel!". 1 Hotel makes sense, but 8? They seem to be suggesting these will be full blown hotels as well, and not just guest houses for 4-12 occupants at a time. Will they fill the rooms??? 

• Like 1

Is anyone else doing this, with a hotel? No, and in that sense, it seems innovative. It also seems to be very low risk for Atari. 

But it's very high risk for the builders, and there's always a fair chance the plans will change or fall through. Has money changed hands yet?

Remember all the chatter about a Pong game show, which has either been shelved and forgotten or stuck in development hell like "Atari VCS" with no news? Ideas are cheaper than execution. Talk is even cheaper. 

Fred's "Atari" is cash-poor and starved for attention, so stunts like this make a big difference to their bottom line. 

Current events have also taught us that real estate and hotel deals can be an excellent vehicle for money laundering. (No politics!) I'm not suggesting Fred is doing anything illegal, but he seems like he would be an easy mark for someone who is.

Whether it's games development, blockchain, or entertainment licensing, he always seems a few steps behind the trends, never out in front. 

• Like 7

Them: "Hi, welcome to the Atari Hotel."

Me: "Hi, I have a reservation."

Them: "Oh, I see your room isn't quite ready yet.  Please have a seat in the lounge."

[Later...]

Me: "Is my room ready yet?"

Them: "Oh, it was ready, but we took the opportunity to make it even better.  It's exciting!  Check back soon!"

[Later...]

Me: "Any news on my room yet?"

Them: "No news is good news!"

• Like 5
  • Haha 17

Oooooh,  I am now getting ideas for a Pitfall! themed Hotel!

Think of it,  Ya build a hotel with reinforced walls and higher than average ceilings, then put a rope in the center of each room with pillows all over the floor.  Then you could encourage the guests to jump on the bed by having logs printed on the bedspreads...The lamps on the nightstands could have a plastic base that looks like gold bricks.   Add some forest background walls, a couple of blocky crocodile graphics on the sides and Voila!

And Room Service could bring you Tacos, (perhaps with taco holders shaped like scorpions)!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Has money changed hands yet?

If the press release is to be believed, Atari got their $600k upon signing the deal, so supposedly that's a "yes". 

I do like how they wrote it as $0.6m though, as if to make it sound better than it really is. 

I feel like both parties got royally screwed by this deal, to be honest. 

On 1/26/2020 at 4:49 PM, Serguei2 said:

Probably.

But with 1054 pages, it's easy for not taking all notes what people would and ask the same thing again.

Here a game you don't feel it came from 1980s.

minimum.thumb.png.7f0e85d0f60bdfa7a2856170b30057fe.png

Minimum.

And you won't find it on Amico. They are afraid to get lost in 3d worlds.

No tacos for you, Tommy.

Geez. This thread brings more entertainments than we have on television.

Funny you should mention that game, I beta tested it way back when it was in it's infancy and I know one of the head designers behind the project.

The problem is that while you can still buy it on Steam, it's unplayable. So no, you won't find it on Amico, but you won't find it on the VCS either, as the servers for this have been dead for a nice long time. Here's what it looks like when you pull up the Server Browser right now:

image.thumb.png.0fe6d735fa6878ace74c2f5b1c08555a.png

That's a whole lotta nothing. While you can supposedly do a LAN match, no one really wants to buy some copies and install on a bunch of computers to find out. Minimum, as cool as it was, is effectively a dead game. It really should be removed from Steam at this point, but they let it stay up for sale, hoping that some sucker will buy a menu simulator, as this review points out: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197967167650/recommended/214190/

And it's Atari's fault for this, as they stopped paying Human Head mid-way through development. HH had a lot of plans for additional content and game modes, but since Atari didn't find it to be an instant megahit, they chickened out, thus leaving players dangling in the wind for months as there was no server solution. Eventually another publisher stepped in to give it a second wind, but Atari washed their hands of it and now HH has closed and was bought up by Bethesda. Get this - Atari also paid them in part with French stocks, which HH had trouble figuring out how to cash. 

Either way, this game isn't going to be some stealth exclusive for the VCS. Sorry. 

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
Added a link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2