IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

56 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Funny you should mention that game, I beta tested it way back when it was in it's infancy and I know one of the head designers behind the project.

The problem is that while you can still buy it on Steam, it's unplayable. So no, you won't find it on Amico, but you won't find it on the VCS either, as the servers for this have been dead for a nice long time. Here's what it looks like when you pull up the Server Browser right now:

image.thumb.png.0fe6d735fa6878ace74c2f5b1c08555a.png

That's a whole lotta nothing. While you can supposedly do a LAN match, no one really wants to buy some copies and install on a bunch of computers to find out. Minimum, as cool as it was, is effectively a dead game. It really should be removed from Steam at this point, but they let it stay up for sale, hoping that some sucker will buy a menu simulator, as this review points out: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197967167650/recommended/214190/

And it's Atari's fault for this, as they stopped paying Human Head mid-way through development. HH had a lot of plans for additional content and game modes, but since Atari didn't find it to be an instant megahit, they chickened out, thus leaving players dangling in the wind for months as there was no server solution. Eventually another publisher stepped in to give it a second wind, but Atari washed their hands of it and now HH has closed and was bought up by Bethesda. Get this - Atari also paid them in part with French stocks, which HH had trouble figuring out how to cash. 

Either way, this game isn't going to be some stealth exclusive for the VCS. Sorry. 

I've read great reviews about this game.

Sounds like a good game until now.

What a shame.  :(

This is the only one who it was worth to buy an Atari VCS.

The rest of the games are nothing but retro games from 1980s.

Atari VCS is more likes a flashback cloud system. Nothing else.

I could buy a cheap computer at $150 and play all games.

Edited by Serguei2
Rewritten some parts.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Funny you should mention that game, I beta tested it way back when it was in it's infancy and I know one of the head designers behind the project.

The problem is that while you can still buy it on Steam, it's unplayable. So no, you won't find it on Amico, but you won't find it on the VCS either, as the servers for this have been dead for a nice long time. Here's what it looks like when you pull up the Server Browser right now:

image.thumb.png.0fe6d735fa6878ace74c2f5b1c08555a.png

That's a whole lotta nothing. While you can supposedly do a LAN match, no one really wants to buy some copies and install on a bunch of computers to find out. Minimum, as cool as it was, is effectively a dead game. It really should be removed from Steam at this point, but they let it stay up for sale, hoping that some sucker will buy a menu simulator, as this review points out: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197967167650/recommended/214190/

And it's Atari's fault for this, as they stopped paying Human Head mid-way through development. HH had a lot of plans for additional content and game modes, but since Atari didn't find it to be an instant megahit, they chickened out, thus leaving players dangling in the wind for months as there was no server solution. Eventually another publisher stepped in to give it a second wind, but Atari washed their hands of it and now HH has closed and was bought up by Bethesda. Get this - Atari also paid them in part with French stocks, which HH had trouble figuring out how to cash. 

Either way, this game isn't going to be some stealth exclusive for the VCS. Sorry. 

That's interesting.   Thanks to this thread, I watched some videos of the game and thought it looked kinda cool.  Kinda gives off a G1 Transformers vibe.

• Like 2

Minimum was a fantastic game, I really enjoyed it and I was kind of pissed off when everything fell apart as Human Head had some awesome and innovative ideas to keep expanding on the gameplay. 

But, as all of the most recent reviews point out, the game itself is great, but since it was online-only, it's dead ?

I think we mentioned in the past that the only games Atari has officially announced for the VCS are the Atari Vault and Tempest 4000. Well, I guess the Atari 2600 IP they still own but can't spell right, such as "Asteroid" and "Yar's Revenge." I've found it interesting (and telling) that they haven't announced star IP like Rollercoaster Tycoon for it.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Remember when that guy was trying to push the Atari stock as such a great deal? Back when it fifty cents instead of the current thirty?

PDubs still swears his investment is good, so at least someone still thinks it's a great deal. 

It's not. 

So, I was just looking at the Atari VCS web site trying to see if any new info was released. I also found a link to their launch video from last year and wanted to ask about it to see if anyone else knew anything about it. At around 0:50, it looks like someone playing Asteroids when suddenly a stream pops up of someone else streaming Tempest. So now I am wondering, will the VCS be able to simultaneously stream games you play while watching other streams? And if so, will they be able to then share or even merge streams for multicasting? ?

• Haha 5

They have labeled everything in those promos with "for illustration purposes only."

Since the release of the thing is in doubt and no finished software has been shown, I wouldn't be so concerned with edge features.

It has a 1970s-ish case and it probably boots, and that's enough for some folks who already sent them ~$400 and shown a willingness to wait two years. 

• Like 10

So is there an over/under on how likely Atari is to use the Corona virus in China as the excuse as to why they don't make the March shipment date?  

"well WE had everything ready to go, but that dang virus just shut the factory down.  It could be years before they get up an and running again"

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Agillig said:

Sheesh, Karl.  Have a Snickers or lay off the PCP.  Half the people in the group are Atari Agers.

image001(1).png.d42bba36574e7bf85bfd733a5f88d30c.png

I honestly love that at some point in time this thread and you all became a literal boogeyman for some of the supporters on those groups. Torches and pitchforks, it's them agers!! :D 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, pesh42 said:

I honestly love that at some point in time this thread and you all became a literal boogeyman for some of the supporters on those groups. Torches and pitchforks, it's them agers!! :D 

Sounds like an interesting idea for a VCS launch title.  In the game, you and your friends are white knights fighting against the wicked troll monster with your pitchforks to defend the honor of the French damsel in distress.

At the end of the game, there's a big reveal:  There is no troll monster.  You're delusional, and the whole time the "giant trolls" you've been fighting were playground equipment.   As the cops haul you off to jail for destroying a slide, you see your damsel in distress point and laugh at you.  It is then you realize the whole time she was manipulating your emotions for fun while she worked out a deal to open hotels.

Seems like a winner!

Edited by Agillig
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Agillig said:

Sounds like an interesting idea for a VCS launch title.  In the game, you and your friends are white knights fighting against the wicked troll monster with your pitchforks to defend the honor of the French damsel in distress.

At the end of the game, there's a big reveal:  There is no troll monster.  You're delusional, and the whole time the "giant trolls" you've been fighting were playground equipment.   As the cops haul you off to jail for destroying a slide, you see your damsel in distress point and laugh at you.  It is then you realize the whole time she was manipulating your emotions for fun while she worked out a deal to open hotels.

Seems like a winner!

You forgot the part where you give the damsel $300 and she promises to give you a magical artifact in "weeks, not months."

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Agillig said:

So, a modern(ized) version of Don Quixote tilting at windmills -- as a video game. Where is the Kickstarter? 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, jhd said:

So, a modern(ized) version of Don Quixote tilting at windmills -- as a video game. Where is the Kickstarter? 

I'll bet Terry Gilliam is available! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_in_La_Mancha

Perhaps there's a lesson here. 

Lost in La Mancha explores how the film's production issues soon overran schedule and budget. Gilliam tells his crew not to be afraid to tell him that something is too complicated or expensive to be done, because he needs to be restrained sometimes. In another interview, he says he wants his films to be seen and enjoyed by the widest audience possible. But natural forces were more important than his excesses.

On the first day of shooting, the crew discovered that their outdoor filming location, in the area known as Bardenas Reales, was plagued by nearly constant noise from a nearby NATO aircraft target practice area. Gilliam decided to continue shooting footage, knowing that he could replace the audio in post-production. But during the second day of shooting, hail and a flash flood damaged equipment. In addition, it permanently changed the appearance of the location, where some shots had not yet been completed. The entire sequence would have to be reshot.

More significantly, days later it became apparent that Rochefort was injured. Within a week Gilliam learned that Rochefort had a herniated disc and would be unable to continue filming. This ended production completely, resulting in a record $15 million insurance claim. The insurance company owned the rights to the screenplay for several years, until they were transferred back to Gilliam. He restarted production of The Man Who Killed Don Quixote in 2008.

• Like 4