IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

On 6/10/2020 at 7:36 PM, Paul Slocum said:

The more research I do into comparable Ryzen single board computers that are available, the more I'm convinced that it's too expensive for what they're charging.  The Kickstarter'd Udoo Bolt V3 is still the closest comparable computer I've found at $330 without RAM, case, or power supply, and it's a tad slower than the VCS.  All the available Ryzen single board computers are in the $400-$600 price range when configured similarly to the $250 Atari VCS 400 base model.

But they'll make it up on volume! ;) brahahahahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, frankodragon said:

I can see someone in the factory making a mistake by putting the decimal point in the wrong place on the order form.  Instead of 500, it turns out to be 5.00 or 5 units.

Or they somehow make a negative number of units. It shouldn't be possible but no bungle is beyond Atari at this point.

Edited by TACODON
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, frankodragon said:

I can see somebody in the factory making a mistake by putting the decimal point in the wrong place on the order form.  Instead of 500, it turns out to be 5.00 or 5 units.

Well it's not as if they appear to have issues understanding magnitudes....  "weeks not months" ;)

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, OCAT said:

^^ Haha!
When they get the inevitable "It is with great regret.." email it will be

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUJI!!!!!

I think most of the anger will be directed at us.  As though us internet poop throwers somehow have the power to derail the comeback of a video game pioneer with memes and snide posting. 

Occam's Razor would suggest that this project never had a chance in hell from the beginning due to the history of shady behavior held by Atari's current owners, and the fact there really isn't widespread interest in a product like this.  But forget common sense.   It was definitely the memes and trolling that killed the Atari VCS. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, OCAT said:

^Atari, the type of company to tell the customers to be optimistic after 3 years.

I wonder if the backers will be getting a year of free subscription after this long arduous wait.
The way I see it, they have to support this thing fro at least a year because of legal warranty, some countries it is 2, to discourage E-waste. But it does not mean they have to support the online portion of it, that is why they are repeating "SANDBOX MODE".

This is going to be something if all the games it has are the same games available on the $20-$50 flashbacks.

Imagine in the future someone buying the molds for this and trying to make another game system out of it?

You just know it's calling to a certain someone...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, frankodragon said:

I can see somebody in the factory making a mistake by putting the decimal point in the wrong place on the order form.  Instead of 500, it turns out to be 5.00 or 5 units.

Does the shell count as half a unit or is it less than that? I think it is less than that. Since the board is not even a concept, let alone an idea, I'd say no more than 0.05 units.

10 hours ago, Agillig said:

I think most of the anger will be directed at us.  As though us internet poop throwers somehow have the power to derail the comeback of a video game pioneer with memes and snide posting. 

Nice to see double-spacing after full-stop.  If only the rest of the world would comply.

Edited by Andrew Davie
Edited to add double-space after my full-stop. :)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

Nice to see double-spacing after full-stop.  If only the rest of the world would comply.

I keep trying to un-learn that behavior now since it's becoming increasingly uncommon, but it's such an ingrained, reflex action that I'm sure I'll go to my grave with it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jamm said:

I keep trying to un-learn that behavior now since it's becoming increasingly uncommon, but it's such an ingrained, reflex action that I'm sure I'll go to my grave with it.

I have extremely similar views about the Oxford comma.  It's a hill I will very literally die on.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

I have extremely similar views about the Oxford comma.  It's a hill I will very literally die on.

I'm willing to fight for the Oxford comma, and I'm french ?

Now what about the use of the word "literally" in figurative speech ? ?

(I'll apologize profusely if you're ever found dead on hill after a comma war)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

These guys must have been politicians at some point...

"Weeks! not Months, Seconds not Days, Minutes not Hours, Cents not Dollars, Turkeys for None! a Chicken in every Pot, Beyond Impossble Burgers for the rest!
Bomb not Biggity!

On a side note, since Atari is not responding to court proceedings about the Tin-Giant lawsuit, can the courts seize goods from Atari when they actually start to ship?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4D0mgx2JEM

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Agillig said:

It already has.  There was even one Faceplant user who wanted nothing more than physical harm done to us.  I can't remember who it was but his avatar had two people on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OCAT said:

On a side note, since Atari is not responding to court proceedings about the Tin-Giant lawsuit, can the courts seize goods from Atari when they actually start to ship?

In theory, yes. In practice -- probably not. Unless Atari has very incompetent legal counsel, there would be separate entities (i.e. shell companies) created for development and production. Tin Giant may have a claim against the development company, which has no assets to seize. The production company would be a completely different corporation. This analysis ignores real and important issues like different jurisdictions and the costs to have a bailiff seize and store the assets.

Assuming that Tin Giant does go the route of seizing the finished Atari Boxes, then what? Tin Giant is not in the retail business, and so they would have to make arrangements to sell the Boxes -- presumably through a liquidator. There would be a great deal of time and effort expended to realise only a small fraction of the money that they are owed.

There is a famous story about a local University Professor who successfully sued a publisher for copyright infringement (they had used his work in a book without permission). The only assets of the defunct publisher was the unsold book, of which he received almost the complete print run. He had to pay to store these books (and, presumably, eventually dispose of them). He "won" his lawsuit, but he ultimately lost money. 

• Like 7

I don't know what is more deranged, Atari releasing a cobbled togetther system from yester year, or Atari banking on a never used before streaming service to supply all content on the system.

Atari be like "I'm going to start a streaming service for all games" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Google "Hold my Doodle"

I would just like to know, with all the information out there about this cluster Fudge of a project, WHO!? is joining in at this stage and ordering a console in the second preorder campaign?

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, jhd said:

In theory, yes. In practice -- probably not. Unless Atari has very incompetent legal counsel, there would be separate entities (i.e. shell companies) created for development and production. Tin Giant may have a claim against the development company, which has no assets to seize. The production company would be a completely different corporation. This analysis ignores real and important issues like different jurisdictions and the costs to have a bailiff seize and store the assets.

Assuming that Tin Giant does go the route of seizing the finished Atari Boxes, then what? Tin Giant is not in the retail business, and so they would have to make arrangements to sell the Boxes -- presumably through a liquidator. There would be a great deal of time and effort expended to realise only a small fraction of the money that they are owed.

There is a famous story about a local University Professor who successfully sued a publisher for copyright infringement (they had used his work in a book without permission). The only assets of the defunct publisher was the unsold book, of which he received almost the complete print run. He had to pay to store these books (and, presumably, eventually dispose of them). He "won" his lawsuit, but he ultimately lost money. 

Let's hope that doesn't happen here.  I'm a big fan of Karma.

On 6/13/2020 at 11:21 AM, Zor said:

I'm willing to fight for the Oxford comma, and I'm french ?

Now what about the use of the word "literally" in figurative speech ? ?

(I'll apologize profusely if you're ever found dead on hill after a comma war)

I mean it's literally figurative at this point.

But that doesn't bother me as much as inflammable and flammable. 

• Like 3

Backers can now rest easy because Atari has officially confirmed that the Atari VCS has passed the threshold of being "more of a when than an if".  Also good to know that at least somebody is having fun playing a VCS even if it's not me or a reputable journalist.

1261488989_Screenshot2020-06-1514_15_41.thumb.png.fdf6e63ea3de185ac67007095a999620.png

Edited by Paul Slocum
  • Like 1

^ It has become more of a "When" than an "IF"
OH dear... talk about not having any confidence.

So it has become more..

IF we don't have enough money to go forward
THEN
GOTO Crowdfunding and beg for more money.
Otherwise

END.

The system is GREAT! and we are all having tons of fun playing them. Just take our word for it, because there is no way we can use the internet to show you a video. These are just maintenance reply posts. Atari already has the money and are clear to call it quits any time.
If they are having difficulties producing 500 units, then the other 12,000 ain't coming this year.

(edit to add -allegedly- so Atari cant blame us for thier alleged massive failures)

(ALLEGEDLY)

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Paul Slocum said:

Backers can now rest easy because Atari has officially confirmed that the Atari VCS has passed the threshold of being "more of a when than an if".  Also good to know that at least somebody is having fun playing a VCS even if it's not me or a reputable journalist.

1261488989_Screenshot2020-06-1514_15_41.thumb.png.fdf6e63ea3de185ac67007095a999620.png

Only one thing to say to this continued excuse that anyone with a brain should be able to see through...

tenor.gif?itemid=5469024

I have far more confidence that KFC - yes, the fried chicken restaurant - will be able to pull off a competent console than Atari. Watch out VCS...and Amico:

• Like 1