IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

It's obvious. Atari wants to get money selling the hardware for a profit and letting anyone bring Steam/Linuz games over. What they NEED to do it sell the hardware at cost and have the Atari UI store be the only software that gets installed. Getting 30% of that is still 30%. If it came from somewhere else they get 0% of 30% DO THE MATH!

Truth.

I understand the current company doesn't really have the resources to make this happen in an efficient and reasonable fashion, but if you're going to bullshit, don't be so mamma's-basement-amateur about it.

Why don't they just go on Shark Tank?

• Like 1

It's obvious. Atari wants to get money selling the hardware for a profit and letting anyone bring Steam/Linuz games over. What they NEED to do it sell the hardware at cost and have the Atari UI store be the only software that gets installed.

We're not talking about Sony here.

The "Atari" that has to crowdfund its software ports doesn't have anything like the reserves to sell hardware at cost.

Edited by racerx
  • Like 2

Were very humble. Well see how big the market is. Were not making any bets. Thats why were doing crowdfunding. Were trying to do the right thing. Were trying to be cautious. In December we proved that were willing to abort the countdown. These things take time.

Why oh why do you keep tormenting me like this, Atari? Why must I continue to suffer?

Seriously though. This is ridiculous.

Concerning Mac's departure from the project, good riddance. He's better off finishing the game-watch than dabble in more projects. How or why he left is his story to tell.

EDIT: I'm sad to see Historian go. For what it's worth you contributed more than you think in my opinion.

Edited by Raticon
  • Like 2

"Why don't they just go on Shark Tank?"

They should get Mr. Wonderful to find it! He's already sold a failing software company for a billion dollars! Sure most of that went to his partners, & he was fired a year later, but still, it's the perfect fit! ;)

I'm pretty sure that would result in one of the more scathing rebukes of a company and it's product. They would shoot holes in Atari's scheme for a long list or reasons as articulated on these message boards. O'leary might offer to buy a controlling interest in their company to use the brand, because he's old enough to relate, but the rest would be like...."da fuh?"

Says a lot when a mom and daughter who make cupcakes in mason jars have a better business model than Atari.

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 4

To be fair, sometimes when you know things, it's either not your place or simply not right to reveal them. I think when it comes to someone either leaving of their own accord or forced out of a position (or something in-between), that's especially true. I honestly don't get the vitriol directed at The Historian. Any info, no matter how little - and as long as it's real - should be welcome. I know I go out of my way to provide the same whenever possible because I know that I appreciate it when I'm on the other side of the equation. No one is entitled to extra information just because they want to know it. If things worked like that, I think we'd quickly find we'd have zero info outside of heavily filtered, official channels, and where's the fun in that?

Touche.

Names: "Atari VCSII" is a better name I think. The "II" can stand for "2" so people don't think it's like a flashback unit. or they can have a contest naming what the I's mean. Something like information or internet or integrated or intelligent or innovation.

Atari VCSII: "The 2 eyes stand for Double the Innovation"

or

Atari Video Computer System Intelligent Innovation.

or

Atari Video Computer System Ingenious Integration

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that would result in one of the more scathing rebukes of a company and it's product. They would shoot holes in Atari's scheme for a long list or reasons as articulated on these message boards. O'leary might offer to buy a controlling interest in their company to use the brand, because he's old enough to relate, but the rest would be like...."da fuh?"

Says a lot when a mom and daughter who make cupcakes in mason jars have a better business model than Atari.

They would be thrown off the show without a doubt as they have zero sales and no plan. It is a money pit that will fail.
  • Like 2

I think for the same price i would get a switch. Unless it can run my steam games (not stream them) I really don't think I cam justify that price. Love the look of the system and joystick and controllers though.

Also for what its worth I hope Historian sticks around. We need to get some homebrews in his hands from AA.

• Like 1

In the United States at least, the PS4 and Xbox One S (with a game) already hit $200 and stayed at that price for most of the Black Friday through Christmas 2017 period. You can still find both consoles for $250 or less during various sales at retailers every few weeks.

This is a very good point. Even outside Black Friday, there are sales close to $220, via various bundles.

It's highly likely we might see a price of $179 this November.

The time is not on Atari's side...

Since it is obvious they won't make this Christmas, this is going to be an even more impossible sell in 2019.

Perhaps they will bring a power cord next Gdc :) ?

Or am I being overly optimistic here?

• Like 1