On topic, I am passing on a big ass steak

the first time I read that

On topic, I am pissing on a big ass steak

then I came back and saw

On topic, I am passing a big ass steak

going to bed now

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 3

Oh ... I just saw the Cnet video. On the Ataribox website they wrote that they will use real wood. Real Wood ? In fact, they mean real plywood. A very very ugly, extremly thin, low quality, misaligned plywood ...

I seriously doubt that - plywood consists of multiple layers of veneer, glued atop each other, usually each layer turned 90 degrees against the prior one. For decorative purposes, you usually only take a sheet of decorative(!) veneer (which Atari failed to choose wisely, as the chosen one looks very dull, the only thing they did right was choosing sliced veneer over peeled veneer). Personally, i would have gone for root wood veneer (similar to the Sears 2600s), but I also would have liked the intense red of Padouk or the purple of Amaranth.

In case Atari needs any help with advertising. Let me know if anyone wants the PSD file for making corrections or improvements. Unfortunately the original image I worked from is not bigger than this, so no truly high resolution unless one reworks the existing one.

hjZe6Mz.jpg

Nice -- just the right level of ugly retro. Better put a correction sticker over one cell in the table though -- Nvidia Shield can easily emulate Atari 2600, and there are half a dozen emulators for it in the Google Play Store.
  • Like 3

I am wondering which comments this Thread would have seen if Atari brought out the Labo Cardboards.

But coming from Nintendo its a genius Concept with huge Potential and Creativity.

Those who continue to equate Atari with real game and technology companies should re-read this entire thread.

You won't learn anything, but it seems like a fitting punishment.

• Like 7

Those who continue to equate Atari with real game and technology companies should re-read this entire thread.

You won't learn anything, but it seems like a fitting punishment.

This is why I kinda giggle at the 'STOP PICKING ON ATARIBOX!!!' and 'SHUT UP ABOUT TACOS!!!' comments that occasionally crop up here.

What people like alexkeaton don't realise is that the initial Ataribox announcement was taken seriously in this thread, and there was a significant amount of fairly insightful commentary surrounding both the product and company. Granted, that commentary contained a healthy dose of skepticism, but, given the track record of projects like this one, that's understandable. Overall, though, the general air was one of, 'yeah, looks like it might be another failed attempt at marketing nostalgia waiting to happen, but, who knows, maybe they'll pull it off. Looks nice, though'.

Then everything related to Atariboxcorp, Inc. descended into the traditional pattern of shitshow project mismanagement that we've come to recognise as being the signs of a company that has absolutely no ability to execute on bringing a product to market. Once they went into that tailspin and clearly weren't going to be pulling out of it any time soon, we went for tacos. And here we are.

So, on that note, I strongly suggest to alexkeaton that he takes up Flojo's recommendation, goes back to the start of the thread, and reads from the beginning. The tacos don't start until somewhere around page 120 if memory serves, so at today's page count you only really need to read through the first half or so of the thread in order to understand why we're just sitting back and waiting for the next round of ineptitude surrounding the Ataribox to surface.

• Like 10

Thought about posting this in the Classic Game forum, since it applies to several failed retro consoles, but.... do you suppose the need to re-name a project midway (Ataribox, RVGS, RetroBlox) is an attempt to dodge negative internet comments and search results?

• Like 9

Thought about posting this in the Classic Game forum, since it applies to several failed retro consoles, but.... do you suppose the need to re-name a project midway (Ataribox, RVGS, RetroBlox) is an attempt to dodge negative internet comments and search results?

Could be, but I think that takes a certain level of competence and thought that may not exist. More likely an inane marketing move. I can imagine some board meeting where they simply said "let's rename it the Atari VCS! That will get everyone on board!"

The comparison to companies that have products on the shelves does get old. Either they have consumed way too much of the Kool Aid or are just shills. When they talk twaddle, they shall get "tacoed".

• Like 4

Yeah, I think it's more desperation than anything else. "What could we do to enhance the appeal of our product to the target audience? Oh, I know -- let's use this old name that brings up warm feelings and ruin it for everyone."

I doubt SEO strategy is a big factor here.

• Like 3

Nice -- just the right level of ugly retro. Better put a correction sticker over one cell in the table though -- Nvidia Shield can easily emulate Atari 2600, and there are half a dozen emulators for it in the Google Play Store.

For those who may be unaware of the original advertisement, this is the one I based my work on, making sure to position texts pixel perfect. The font isn't 100% - I used standard Georgia while Commodore seems to have used a similar but not identical font. The image of the Atari VCS on a wood cabinet happened to be the exact same dimensions as the picture of kids playing on the VIC-20. What are the odds for that?

Thanks for the corrections. I figure the fewer unique selling points the Atari VCS has, the even more pointless an advertisement with comparisons would be. For their sake, I surely hope they have any unique selling points up their sleeve.

313.jpg

• Like 6