IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Thought about posting this in the Classic Game forum, since it applies to several failed retro consoles, but.... do you suppose the need to re-name a project midway (Ataribox, RVGS, RetroBlox) is an attempt to dodge negative internet comments and search results?

Either that, or they seriously believe the new name is even better (either way it shows poor planning skills).

• Like 4

Valve has gotten rid of the Steam Machine section on Steam. bit.ly/2IolroT

I'm undecided whether this is a good or bad thing for something like the Atari VCS (will be tough getting used to that name). On the one hand it shows that there's not a mass market for products like a Steam Machine (although, to be fair, marketing was a bit half-assed and there was not necessarily as high of a value proposition as a traditional Xbox One or PS4 console), but on the other hand it creates even more of an opening in the market for a product that was already going to be incredibly niche. So I guess I'm leaning towards "good thing" at this point in time.

• Like 5

I'm undecided whether this is a good or bad thing for something like the Atari VCS (will be tough getting used to that name). On the one hand it shows that there's not a mass market for products like a Steam Machine (although, to be fair, marketing was a bit half-assed and there was not necessarily as high of a value proposition as a traditional Xbox One or PS4 console), but on the other hand it creates even more of an opening in the market for a product that was already going to be incredibly niche. So I guess I'm leaning towards "good thing" at this point in time.

The thing is, I trust valve to support Steam Machine far more than I trust Atari to support the VCS. The former was a proven company trying to add a new leg to their successful business. The latter is a cash grab by people who would be happy to make tree fiddy and walk away.

• Like 5

That's what I said before, you want Triple A games on a PC you gotta have Windoze! And if you want to play them on a TV you get a game console.

But people were like, "Oh nononono this is gonna be the Year of The Loonix Game System!"

Steam Machines are like 3DO's meaning OEMs won't lower manufacturing prices because they don't get any royalties from the games like Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo does. And there's still no provision for streaming video apps cause Steam doesn't have anything like Kodi.

And this is a real product that didn't do well, so forget about a Fuji branded unicorn trying to do the same...

• Like 2

Video games companies make money off of software, not hardware. Atari seems to think the opposite. Computer hardware has 2-10% markup and the resellers 17-30%. With software, it's can be whatever you want because the cost to manufacter a DVD is about $1-$4 and online it's free. The online store takes 30% while a physical store it's 40-50%.

BTW: I sent messages on facebook to Atari's CEO and as many Atari pages as possible. I finally got an e-mail back from Atari's COO. I responded back telling him I have games under development that can be released on the VCSII. A week has passed an NOTHNING. WTF man? If Atari can't even respond back to the only guy on the planet wanting to make games for them (Jeff Minter doesn't count because Atari sued him and they settled by deciding to repackage it into Tempest 4000), then that is not good sign.

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos
  • Like 6

That's what I said before, you want Triple A games on a PC you gotta have Windoze! And if you want to play them on a TV you get a game console.

But people were like, "Oh nononono this is gonna be the Year of The Loonix Game System!"

Microsoft no longer has a Windows division. They split it up. Windows is no longer a core product anymore.

Loony Linux, ha, that's a go nowhere OS. Barely made it on the now-dead desktop.

Microsoft no longer has a Windows division. They split it up. Windows is no longer a core product anymore.

Loony Linux, ha, that's a go nowhere OS. Barely made it on the now-dead desktop.

Wow you are just clueless. Have you been asleep in a cave for 10 years ?

Windows core is a major component in all Windows products. Just because there is no Windows departement doesn't not mean it not used in all the divisions. The Windows box OS is dead and only Windows server exists. Windows core service for desktop and server is very much alive and profitable.

Linux is in more devices that ANY operating system ever weather you realize it or not! Stop being so ignorant and research a bit before make such nonsense comments. Linux dominates the current "desktops". They are called cell phones and they're dominated by Android which is based on Linux.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 4

Steam machines disappearing without even a whimper, missed by no one and only noticed because of press coverage? That qualifies as "bad news" for Atari's chances in my opinion. Surely anyone who wanted a $300 Steam Machine would have bought one several years ago?

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/valve-removes-steam-machines-hardware-section

It's April, so let's see what they do next. My money is on "fold in an embarrassing, wetting-pants-in-public way, two days after a big announcement in the opposite direction" rather than just quietly fading away.

Another prediction: we will see Half-Life 3 before notmyAtariVCS ships.

• Like 4

The last time I checked this is Microsoft's revenue order for 2016:

#1 Office ($23.6 BILLION)

#2 Server ($19.2 BILLION)

#3 Windows ($14.7 BILLION)

#4 Xbox

everything else (consulting, advertising ($6 BILLION), phone, surface)

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-makes-money-revenues-broken-product-line

• Like 2

Video games companies make money off of software, not hardware. Atari seems to think the opposite. Computer hardware has 2-10% markup and the resellers 17-30%. With software, it's can be whatever you want because the cost to manufacter a DVD is about $1-$4 and online it's free. The online store takes 30% while a physical store it's 40-50%.

BTW: I sent messages on facebook to Atari's CEO and as many Atari pages as possible. I finally got an e-mail back from Atari's COO. I responded back telling him I have games under development that can be released on the VCSII. A week has passed an NOTHNING. WTF man? If Atari can't even respond back to the only guy on the planet wanting to make games for them (Jeff Minter doesn't count because Atari sued him and they settled by deciding to repackage it into Tempest 4000), then that is not good sign.

Nintendo also makes money with the hardware. Atari will have a shop and will surely keep the usual 30%.
Did you also email the CEO of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo?

(Emphasis above is mine; wanted to keep as much of the original quote as possible for context.)

Online delivery of software is not free by any stretch of the imagination.

The data has to be housed somewhere. In a modern context, that means multiple geographically-distributed datacentres, each sucking down power and occupying land. Bandwidth isn't free, either: the various carriers providing it each want their cut, and charge each other for traffic ingressing and egressing their networks. Then there's the back- and front-end infrastructure that has to be built so that an end user can click 'buy' and start the whole process, as well as the internal and customer-facing support processes that make sure that the buy button actually works.

There's a lot more to it than that, but saying that online content delivery is free is absolutely incorrect.

• Like 6