IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

$50-$60K, if you put a little work in it.

Oh that's far too much money for Atari SA to spend. They would look to license an Atari based taco truck and take 20% of the revenue to put the Atari fuji logo on the truck and on the taco wrappers.

• Like 2

Flojomojo: Nice use of the Absolut vodka bottle a few pages earlier, given that the brand since 10 years ago is owned by French company Pernod Ricard. They bought a lot of alcoholic beverages, but admitted it was Absolut they really were interested in, and sold off some of the other brands shortly after. It is like if Infogrames would've bought a whole catalog of video game brands, kept Atari and sold the rest, except that Atari nowadays most likely doesn't hold even 11% of their market segment.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 4

Actually, AVCS wouldn't be a bad name. It reflects the asset-collection's heritage without being confusing. Also leads to some slogan ideas:

"AVCS for a new era"

"AVCS for today"

"A modern take on a classic concept, AVCS."

"We may or may not have this box that may or may not play games, but it costs a lot of money"

A

Very

Crap

Sales-pitch

• Like 7

Well, given we already went into Star Trek territory with Shatner references, how about "It's (*) games Jim, but not as we know them"?

(*) Or perhaps "They're", though I'm not sure if games can be collective singularis and thus still can use "it is". On the other hand if the Atari VCS only plays 1 game, singularis it will be.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Apple was also insolvent and now the most successful company in the world.

Apple also got millions from micro$oft in exchange for patents and inside technology. Who's going to give Atari millions? I'd argue that at this point that anything Atari has of value has had its worth diluted a long time ago.

Who's going to give Atari millions?

Speaking of millions, the Roller Coaster Tycoon crowdfunding has in the past 13 days grown from $57,988 to $58,798. That is a whopping $62.31 per day. I suppose they're going into the final two weeks of crunch now, let's see if they can average more than $100 per day in invested money during the last phase.

• Like 2

Apple also got millions from micro$oft in exchange for patents and inside technology. Who's going to give Atari millions? I'd argue that at this point that anything Atari has of value has had its worth diluted a long time ago.

Part of that deal was motivated by Microsoft's self-interest. With antitrust lawsuits breathing down their necks, it served MS well to keep a market competitor alive, so they didn't appear like a total monopoly. They also bought their way into putting MSIE on the Mac as the default browser for a while. It was less of a one-sided "rescue" than we might remember. They both have lots of patents, can't say that about Atari.

$150M seemed like a lot in 1997, but it's chump change now! :lol: Just two Atari SA worth of money.

• Like 3

Sega?

Is this that sarcasm thing that's all the rage with the kids today?

• Like 2

Sega?

There was a big Sega/Atari settlement way back in the 1990s. I think Atari had options to port a few Sega games to the Jaguar. Of course, they lacked the resources to actually do anything with the opportunity, and that was when Atari had significantly more assets than they do today.

Sega is a shadow of its old self, much smaller than when they were at their peak. Not as bad as "Atari," but not in any shape to help, either.

• Like 1

Speaking of millions, the Roller Coaster Tycoon crowdfunding has in the past 13 days grown from $57,988 to $58,798. That is a whopping $62.31 per day. I suppose they're going into the final two weeks of crunch now, let's see if they can average more than $100 per day in invested money during the last phase.

The Save Toys R Us crowdfunding is similar ... there's not much "crowd" involved, just a few individuals put up the vast majority of the funding. This scene has made me so cynical, it makes me wonder if there's an ulterior motive for this kind of "investment," like some kind of legal money laundering or tax evasion loophole.

• Like 3