IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

To Summerize the past 24 hours -

THE LIGHT GOES ON & OFF !

What are ram chips ?

I was fired from ATARI...

Oh it's still gonna be released on time...

Oooooo pretty shiny light, see it works, you all are just haters...

ATARI stock takes a DIVE...

To everything... Spin, Spin, Spin... There is a season... Spin, Spin, Spin...

So, anyone for Tacos ? 

And mashed 'taters ;-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, JBerel said:

Backers may not get anything unless they sue, which is not likely due to the crowdfunding protections used by these scammers. They've openly wiped their ass with the Indiegogo terms from the start, and only complied with any of it to keep up the B.S. communications to paint the story they wanted. That much has been obvious through all their public actions with fraudulent videos, props and renders.

True, but by the same token you can't sign away your rights.  I Am Not A Lawyer, but do harbour a suspicion that Indiegogo's terms (at least as far as they apply to the Ataribollockstm) may not hold up to the appropriate legal challenge.  What the angle is that would make that a realistic possibility, I just don't know - but suspect that this is where involving the FTC and FTC-familiar lawyers would likely cause it to be figured out.

• Thanks 1

I can only imagine some 50 year old guy that's completely computer IL-literate that backed the VCS.

He will open the box, be wowed by the appearance of it. He'll get all excited and hook it up to the TV. He's going to turn the system on, see a nice little Atari boot screen, and then it will drop him into a Linux/Ubuntu desktop environment. He'll be like "huh? o.o;;" and try moving the joystick around to make something happen on-screen. The joystick won't respond, because the system is technically waiting for mouse/keyboard inputs instead. Then the guy will get pissed off and start mashing buttons angrily. Then he'll assume the system is broken and send it back to Atari for a refund. xD

As for me? Well, I'll have fun with it because I actually really like Linux. ^u^

But yeah, it will suck for those that just want to play some games from their youth.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, carlsson said:

How about the Atari VCS is released to backers in December, but it has no operating system or games content. Then someone hacks it in order to add content, Atari finds out and sues backers for breaking into an otherwise still unusable system?

Releasing it without software (or with an extremely limited software featureset) sounds like a good way to attract lawsuits for failure to deliver the product as it was described.  Assuming that they do get something to market more-or-less on time, the device can implement all of the features poorly and as long as they all sort of work it may be enough to skate around litigation.

Having said that, there is a fine but definite line between merely releasing a crappy product and releasing one that's so crappy it would be considered unfit for purpose.  I'm not sure how much Atari SA would want to test where that line is drawn.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Historian said:

I have two major concerns with current the VCS production timeline:

1. Chinese New Year on Jan 25th when China comes to a halt for 2 weeks
  2. CE, FCC, UL, and CSA certification.

Yup, you and I know that old story. Wouldn't you speculate, as I do, that they are at least 6 months from realistically completing a mass production run and shipping? That's assuming one infers the best scenario from currently available information.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, The Historian said:

If you wouldn't mind taking a look at this post I made a few days ago and letting us know your thoughts, I'd appreciate it.  It discusses some things related to Chinese New Year and certification.

Edited by x=usr(1536)

54 minutes ago, DurradonXylles said:

Remember, as far as I could find, the lawsuit that Digital Frontiers started against Atari almost three years ago is still ongoing or pending, and if Digital Frontier wins that means Atari owes them about as much as they spend annually outside of Freddy's salary (so they'd end up in the red). As for who's right in the situation of Wyatt's cause for departure...

No. The Frontier Developments matter was settled early last year. This kind of thing is in their financial reports. I wanted to give you an even more direct reference, but they're hard to read because they're financial reports, and because many of them are written in French. So despite all their other failings, this unpaid debt isn't one of them. It is evidence of their general shadiness and/or incompetence, of course. 

25 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

True, but by the same token you can't sign away your rights.  I Am Not A Lawyer, but do harbour a suspicion that Indiegogo's terms (at least as far as they apply to the Ataribollockstm) may not hold up to the appropriate legal challenge.  What the angle is that would make that a realistic possibility, I just don't know - but suspect that this is where involving the FTC and FTC-familiar lawyers would likely cause it to be figured out.

IndieGogo recently updated their terms of service to say everything has to be filed through arbitration by an individual, no class actions allowed, $250 filing fee. I doubt there will be an attempt at a class action lawsuit, as the VCS backers barely seem organized enough to keep up with facts. 

19 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

I can only imagine some 50 year old guy that's completely computer IL-literate that backed the VCS.

He will open the box, be wowed by the appearance of it. He'll get all excited and hook it up to the TV. He's going to turn the system on, see a nice little Atari boot screen, and then it will drop him into a Linux/Ubuntu desktop environment. He'll be like "huh? o.o;;" and try moving the joystick around to make something happen on-screen. The joystick won't respond, because the system is technically waiting for mouse/keyboard inputs instead. Then the guy will get pissed off and start mashing buttons angrily. Then he'll assume the system is broken and send it back to Atari for a refund. xD

Ya think? ?

157346695_ScreenShot2019-10-09at10_44_57AM.thumb.png.c2d26a92e0d71c3e7feac28a6a7a5224.png

177037520_ScreenShot2019-10-09at10_45_03AM.thumb.png.85fbbe3ce639f9ae01ec7be77a4ec50f.png

31311692_ScreenShot2019-10-09at10_44_57AM.thumb.png.fdbeb8c4fa65172181b637221b4c3e89.png

16 minutes ago, The Historian said:

This statement reminds me of Michael "Hands Not In Pants But Nevertheless In Over His Head" Arzt talking about just one thing missing from their checklist. ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Releasing it without software (or with an extremely limited software featureset) sounds like a good way to attract lawsuits for failure to deliver the product as it was described.  Assuming that they do get something to market more-or-less on time, the device can implement all of the features poorly and as long as they all sort of work it may be enough to skate around litigation.

Having said that, there is a fine but definite line between merely releasing a crappy product and releasing one that's so crappy it would be considered unfit for purpose.  I'm not sure how much Atari SA would want to test where that line is drawn.

LOL

https://www.indiegogo.com/about/terms#/nowarranty

INDIEGOGO HAS NO FIDUCIARY DUTY TO ANY USER. THE SERVICES, INDIEGOGO CONTENT, USER CONTENT, AND ANY OTHER MATERIALS MADE AVAILABLE OR THROUGH THE USE OF THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT OR COURSE OF PERFORMANCE. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE PURSUANT TO APPLICABLE LAW, INDIEGOGO AND ITS AFFILIATES, LICENSORS, SUPPLIERS, ADVERTISERS, SPONSORS AND AGENTS, DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON- INFRINGEMENT, ACCURACY, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ANY WARRANTIES THAT MAY ARISE FROM COURSE OF DEALING, COURSE OF PERFORMANCE OR USAGE OF TRADE. INDIEGOGO AND ITS AFFILIATES, LICENSORS, SUPPLIERS, ADVERTISERS, SPONSORS AND AGENTS DO NOT WARRANT THAT YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, ERROR-FREE OR SECURE, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT THE SERVICES OR THE SERVER(S) ON WHICH THE SERVICES ARE HOSTED, OR ANY SERVICES AVAILABLE ON ANY THIRD PARTY PLATFORM ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. NO OPINION, ADVICE OR STATEMENT OF INDIEGOGO OR ITS AFFILIATES, LICENSORS, SUPPLIERS, ADVERTISERS, SPONSORS, AGENTS, MEMBERS OR VISITORS, WHETHER MADE THROUGH THE USE OF THE SERVICES, OR ON THIRD-PARTY PLATFORMS OR OTHERWISE, SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY. YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY SERVICES PROVIDED ON ANY THIRD-PARTY PLATFORM, ARE ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, The Historian said:

Maybe ATARI  will just skip this part as it takes too much time they don't have to get this 'box' out to backers in 1 1/2 months ?

Maybe calling it a 'box' was right from the start, oh it's a BOX alright, no OS, no RAM, you get to add all that yourself, it's a $300.00 DIY computer !

oy vey

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

No. The Frontier Developments matter was settled early last year. This kind of thing is in their financial reports. I wanted to give you an even more direct reference, but they're hard to read because they're financial reports, and because many of them are written in French. So despite all their other failings, this unpaid debt isn't one of them. It is evidence of their general shadiness and/or incompetence, of course. 

IndieGogo recently updated their terms of service to say everything has to be filed through arbitration by an individual, no class actions allowed, $250 filing fee. I doubt there will be an attempt at a class action lawsuit, as the VCS backers barely seem organized enough to keep up with facts. 

Ya think? ?

157346695_ScreenShot2019-10-09at10_44_57AM.thumb.png.c2d26a92e0d71c3e7feac28a6a7a5224.png

177037520_ScreenShot2019-10-09at10_45_03AM.thumb.png.85fbbe3ce639f9ae01ec7be77a4ec50f.png

31311692_ScreenShot2019-10-09at10_44_57AM.thumb.png.fdbeb8c4fa65172181b637221b4c3e89.png

This statement reminds me of Michael "Hands Not In Pants But Nevertheless Over His Head" Arzt talking about just one thing missing from their checklist. ?

I love how I just arbitrarily mentioned a "50-year old guy", and John is actually 50 (judging by his username, assuming that is his birth year). xD

Edited by Lodmot
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

I love how I just arbitrarily mentioned a "50-year old guy", and John is actually 50 (judging by his username, assuming that is his birth year). xD

Maths is hard, I think you're off by a decade or something :)

• Haha 9

26 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

True - but that only applies to Indiegogo (and I suspect on some shaky legal grounds, but, again, IANAL).  There's nothing preventing people from going after Atari SA in a class action.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

Maths is hard, I think you're off by a decade or something :)

omfg xDDD!!!!!! 

My bad. LOL!

EDIT: Well, he might be 50 by the time the VCS actually gets delivered to him.  o u o

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Some of... us.... are older than 50. 

Yes...

Some of us are well over...

One reason why we know the history of ATARI is we've been there from the start...

A long, long time ago...

Edited by Woulfe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To paraphrase Kevtris: there's no way they'll ship by December unless it's in production right this very second. 

I want more scoops! Has anyone else noticed that the last time any of their Medium updates were signed by an individual (Rob Wyatt) was November 18, 2018. The last time anyone's face was featured August 29, 2018. 

As one of the shouty Tubers has pointed out, none of the principals except for Wyatt and Arzt have put the project into their online resumes. 

The unnamed Atari tattoo on the unnamed PowerA employee doesn't really count. 

• Like 8