IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Huh. Seems like they're late to the parade ... Kindle Fire TV, AppleTV, Android TV, RokuTV and of course everyone's favorite, OUYA already got there first ... and those things can stream other media.

Don't worry Bill, you don't have to convince me, I'm likely not buying it anyway ... but I'm trying to understand where they're coming from.

Just had a thought. What if I'm thinking too far outside the box about this? My new guess is simply a device for streaming from your PC to your TV. Doesn't that already exist, you say? Yes, but not in Atari form. It'd be cheaper than a real system, and they could just load an Atari app on your PC for proprietary games.

Why would a PC -> TV streaming box need to be in Atari form?

• Like 1

On the surface, I am really excited about the potential for this. First, I'm glad that Atari has been licensing its name and being at least a bit creative. I also think the Ouya, Shield TV, etc. gaming market has some potential. Whether or not Atari comes up with the right idea to Crack that market remains to be seen though.

They're not creative like the real Atari company was back in the 1970's. Another PC-in-a-box is being very conservative and safe. Just like 500 other companies.

Don't let blind enthusiasm for things "Atari" get out of hand. They won't be developing new property, just repackaging existing material.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 4

Based on PC Technology and able to emulate classic ATARI ? Finally!!!!!!!......oh wait.........been doing that for years........oh that's right, now it will have the "official" license from "Atari" which of course has nothing to do with the Atari we all knew and loved but hey, it's official! Just more whoring of the Atari brand to us desperate for Atari Nostalgia of years gone by. So far the Retron77 seems more interesting imho.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 2

Based on PC Technology and able to emulate classic ATARI ? Finally!!!!!!!......oh wait.........been doing that for years........oh that's right, now it will have the "official" license from "Atari" which of course has nothing to do with the Atari we all knew and loved but hey, it's official! Just more whoring of the Atari brand to us desperate for Atari Nostalgia of years gone by. So far the Retron77 seems more interesting imho.

It doesn't just have the official license; Atari themselves are actually developing the system. o u o

Edited by Lodmot

My ass is official.

Are they developing it and programming it from the ground, up? Or are they repackaging existing technologies. Because that's what the real Atari did back in the day. They broke new ground with each new game they programmed. Will it have an Atari designed motherboard?

According to this article I stumbled across, the AtariBox is actually going to be based on PC technology. o u o

https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/16/atari-ceo-confirms-the-company-is-working-on-a-new-game-console/

So it is going to compete with the PC based XB1 and PS4. This should be interesting! [grabs popcorn]

I was just thinking, a wood grain texture on a console could actually look REALLY attractive and modern if done right. It would look super sleek and sexy with a kind of more silver-looking wood grain.

Something like this even:

grey-wood-back.jpg

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1

Man, between this forum, two others, Facebook, twitter, reddit, and the comments sections of a dozen Ataribox articles, I've yet to find anyone besides myself who seems genuinely enthused for this. I mean, I know debuting with no information is a bad move, but they responded to my email inquiry pretty quickly.

I guess I'm just an unshakable optimist. The right combo of antidepressants will do that to you. :-)

• Like 2

I was just thinking, a wood grain texture on a console could actually look REALLY attractive and modern if done right. It would look super sleek and sexy with a kind of more silver-looking wood grain.

grey-wood-back.jpg

Yes.

I can think of something even nicer than a woodgrain plastic finish or woodgrain sticker.

WOOD

Not that it's coming out in mass quantities from a factory in China, though

• Like 6

Man, between this forum, two others, Facebook, twitter, reddit, and the comments sections of a dozen Ataribox articles, I've yet to find anyone besides myself who seems genuinely enthused for this. I mean, I know debuting with no information is a bad move, but they responded to my email inquiry pretty quickly.

I guess I'm just an unshakable optimist. The right combo of antidepressants will do that to you. :-)

I actually am really excited about this console X33 I'm totally ready to pre-order it, and I don't even know what it is or how much it costs. xD

Not to digress, but if it wasn't for the Atari 2600 and Visual BB, I would've never made the AVGN game. I owe both Atari and AtariAge big time for that one.

Edited by Lodmot

grey-wood-back.jpg

It they wanted to go all out, they would use real wood inlay.

Yes.

I can think of something even nicer than a woodgrain plastic finish or woodgrain sticker.

WOOD

Not that it's coming out in mass quantities from a factory in China, though

+1.

Interesting. With the atari logo in the new Blade Runner I wonder if they're trying to ramp up brand recognition again among the masses.

LOL, called it on the first page :D

Chesnais said that Atari’s revival is well under way. Atari filed for bankruptcy protection in 2013, but Chesnais bought it and pledged to make it great again. The company is now profitable, and it is engaged in making mobile games. It is licensing its brands more widely, such as licensing its Atari name for the upcoming Blade Runner 2049 movie.

• Like 2

I still feel like we're missing something. So it's a PC-based console for your home entertainment center, but not meant to compete with the big three according to Bill, something more niche like a Nvidia Shield. He did say earlier though that there was an idea in play that he didn't want to reveal. I doubt he just meant the above. So is there something we don't know that makes Ataribox unique?

• Like 1

It's probably going to be like one of these WIN 10 PC Tv Boxes. http://www.geekbuying.com/item/VOYO-VMac-Intel-Apollo-Lake-N3450-4G-128G-SSD-Gold-376779.html

They range from $80 to $200 depending on the chip set they use, ie from Cherry Trail, Apollo Lake etc. Who knows, maybe they will go with an AMD chip like the Smach Z - or maybe go a bit more expensive and use a Core M3

No cart slots except maybe a SD slot, with SW being mostly downloaded.

It begs the question then whether PC games will run on it as they do on WIN 10 PC TV Boxes. Or will they lock it down with their own store .

I imagine they got the idea after seeing these WIN 10 TV boxes or tablets playing games, or the success of the GPD WIN in it's ability to play PC games.

Edited by vcoleiro1