IGNORED

New Genesis Flashback

jblenkle

My guess is that this is based on the same tech that the new TecToy version is using. And the initial reports I heard on that was it was still using a GOAC configuration. So the sound was still horrid. I'm hoping that isn't the case and this features more accurate emulation, especially with the sound. Otherwise it is the same @games stuff we have seen before just in a different shell. The HDMI out is nice though.

Also the specs on this mimic what is being done on the new Flashback 8 for the Atari side of things. Including the HDMI out and ability to pause/save/rewind... So who knows...

Not you, obviously. :P

Let's wait until we can try it before we dump on it, shall we?

1st...that was a bit harsh.

2nd... I said in my original post that I hope it isn't the case of it being a GOAC and that the emulation and sound are improved upon. That isn't dumping on it. That is called being hopeful.

3rd... Next time you have an issue with an opinion being stated and trying to take it out of context...do so in a PM please.

• Like 4

According to Retroarch devs, Atgames was at some point planning to re-use their frontend code and existing open-source emulation core (Genesis Plus GX apparently) within their new MegaDrive, which indeed confirms they will be using emulation (and most likely Android based system). It does not seem to went anywhere though as Retroarch devs did not heard anything back from AtGames but, based on some of the announced features (real-time rewind ?), they suspect they have simply copy Retroarch (and maybe Genesis Plus GX core) code base without telling anyone to avoid having to deal with re-licensing expenses.

Apparently, AtGames told them they had in-house Genesis emulation developed by Marat Faizulin. He is a well known emulator author but never released a public Genesis emulator so not much is known about compatibility / accuracy and how much this is 'inspired' by existing open-source emulators.

I guess time will tell if this is Retron 5 / Retrofreak situation back again (with GPL being abused and Hyperkin reusing open-source emulation code without telling or paying anyone to reduce software development costs) when hackers get access to this new console (and try to make it run SNES games ;-) ).

Sources:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/6h2fmj/atgames_launches_new_versions_of_its_atari_sega/divpykt/?context=3

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/873534234392244224
https://twitter.com/libretro/status/873535148008099840
https://twitter.com/libretro/status/873539831703511040

Edited by philyso

I'm sure there will be a strong demand, but I can't think of any way in which AtGames or Sega would benefit from a limited run the way Nintendo did. The whole "make them for three months" routine is likely a uniquely Nintendo thing.

It's either a re-shell or not... and I think Crossbow has a point. I always hope for the best of course, but the previous atgames/tectoy "Genesis" releases were such inexcusable disappointments (for me) in the sound department.. to the point now I lean towards suspicious vs. giving the benefit of the doubt. Just saying :) Time will tell of course.

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I wish i had the Phantasy Star series, they are sooooo expensive for most of them, but you couldn't PAY me to play them on that, i had the previous version of it and it was a nightmare for any genesis fan.

To clear up any confusion, this is new emulation on a new hardware platform. This has true 720p output and looks and sounds the way it's supposed to, along with additional special features, including rewind and save states, which also works on any cartridge you insert. Reviews of all the AtGames products should hit on the 28th once the embargo is lifted. That's also when pre-order details will be revealed.

And to answer the emulation question, it's an original creation by the aforementioned Marat. There is no re-use of others' code. Say what you will about AtGames, but they don't take things without explicit permission.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 5

I posted the official final game lists for all of the 2017 AtGames products on Armchair Arcade: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/

The only one missing is the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition Console because we're still waiting on confirmation on one of the titles.

• Like 1

Unlike the video for the Atari Flashback 8 Gold, the official trailer video for the Sega Flashback gave a few notes of in-game audio (Sonic the Hedgehog). It didn't obviously sound like ass, unlike every previous atgames Sega Flashback.

Why doesn't atgames make these trailers easily available on its website?

Edited by Great Hierophant

tumblr_otgi1seybC1rben3uo1_540.jpg

Bill,

I just got the Retrofreak and I am enjoying playing Sega Genesis on it. How will the AtGames product compare (just for Genesis emulation) and would it be redundant to own both? From the videos, it looks like the scanlines look better on the AtGames console.

Bill,

I just got the Retrofreak and I am enjoying playing Sega Genesis on it. How will the AtGames product compare (just for Genesis emulation) and would it be redundant to own both? From the videos, it looks like the scanlines look better on the AtGames console.

It would be redundant, yes. The main advantages of the Flashback are the wireless Genesis controllers and built-in controller ports, as well as lower cost. Otherwise, there's nothing that the Flashback can do that the Retrofreak can't. They're really targeted at two different markets.

https://www.gamespot.com/sega-genesis-flashback-classic-console-review/#comments-block-33400107

Wow! Gamespot really ripped this in their preview. Most of their complaints were nitpicky at best, but is it true that the emulation is really bad? They mentioned that the framerate is terrible and really noticeable in games like Sonic.

https://www.gamespot.com/sega-genesis-flashback-classic-console-review/#comments-block-33400107

Wow! Gamespot really ripped this in their preview. Most of their complaints were nitpicky at best, but is it true that the emulation is really bad? They mentioned that the framerate is terrible and really noticeable in games like Sonic.

Ugh ... that has tempered my enthusiasm somewhat, though I'm still buying this sight unseen. This particular bit of stupidity makes me question the entire review. Anyone looking for an "authentic" 16-bit console experience will be OK without "hot swapping" cartridges.

One of most attractive aspects of this HDMI-enabled Genesis is that it supports actual cartridges, but again, things aren't as simple as they seem. In order for the system to read a game you need to insert it before powering on the console. While it would be nice to be able to swap cartridges without power cycling the console, it's not an egregious requirement. However, should you insert a cartridge that's dirty or unsupported, you need to remove and replace the cart and reboot the system to double check if it's the system's fault or the condition of the game itself, and endure a bootup screen and allow the cartridge to be dumped to RAM all over again. When a game does work, the system displays a screen with multiple instances of the same game. Which one do you pick? It's a game in and of itself. And unsurprisingly, the same frame rate performance issues noted above apply to cartridge-based games.

OK, here's the deal

What they say is true, unfortunately. A bad production run got out to reviewers (including me). I'm trying to work with AtGames to get ahead of this, but I think the damage is already going to be done. AtGames is already working on the production fix, which may delay the target September release date.

• Like 5

Yeah it does seem nitpicky regarding the use of actual cartridges and them perhaps not reading properly on the first try. Hell, I clean my Genesis carts all the time and I still sometimes have to try more than once or slightly lift up on a game or two for them to work on my actual Genesis hardware. The menu navigation does seem odd though. Why didn't they just use the d-pad for all navigation and then you have you use the Start button or A B C buttons to choose the option highlighted? Using the B and C buttons to move up and down the menu just seems all kinds of messed up to me.

I'm also disappointed that while mentioning that the emulation was bad with frame skipping apparent, nothing was mentioned regarding the sound, or how the games actually look through the HDMI, or if any of the carts they tried had specific issues...etc. They mention that it does read the carts and dump to RAM before playing, but how long a process is that? And they mention multiple instances of the game appearing to select once dumped. But they didn't state what differences if any there were between them? I'm guessing that since several of the games included both the Japanese original text and English...etc that perhaps the emulator and ROM dumping is able to pick up on that somehow and those are the different versions of the game that appear? If so, they would have discovered that if they had mentioned what the differences were.

Overall I understand their complaints, but they didn't even mention anything regarding the other features and experience with them and that too, is disappointing.