IGNORED

New Genesis Flashback

jblenkle

.. I do want to do my best reviewing these products and have people believe that I am doing so with objectivity

I apologize if it appeared I was hinting you were not being objective, that was not even close to the point, at worse I would have wanted to hint at some level of sloppiness.

Given you went back again at it (thanks for doing it btw) and still didn't notice much of a problem I start to wonder if the other reviewers have been way too harsh instead.

When you receive a second unit I will make sure to check on your second take on it, with a little bit of luck the product is actually good.

Why do I care? Well, an HDMI retro-console with good to very good emulation of MD, SMS and GG for likely a street price around the 50-60 seems like a good deal to me.

I apologize if it appeared I was hinting you were not being objective, that was not even close to the point, at worse I would have wanted to hint at some level of sloppiness.

Given you went back again at it (thanks for doing it btw) and still didn't notice much of a problem I start to wonder if the other reviewers have been way too harsh instead.

When you receive a second unit I will make sure to check on your second take on it, with a little bit of luck the product is actually good.

Why do I care? Well, an HDMI retro-console with good to very good emulation of MD, SMS and GG for likely a street price around the 50-60 seems like a good deal to me.

And I am sorry too is I was coming across agitated. I just tried my best to review it. I have asked for an updated unit if they make changes. The last thing I want to do is to have people take my word and spend their hard earned money to be duped into buying something that will disappoint. Alot of folks are looking for a retro hybrid unit that can play their carts. The pressure for this to be satisfactory are high. Good news is that I will also be taking a look at another option for people in the future on my channel. If anything, the video made me understand that people do care what I say, so I have to be as objective as possible moving forward. Game on!

• Like 2

Sega made some hard to emulate systems...

There is really nothing complicated about Super Street Fighter 2, it has been emulated by most (if not all) emulators and the technical documentation has been available for years

https://github.com/Emu-Docs/Emu-Docs/blob/master/Genesis/ssf2.txt

The reason it does not work on AtGames flashback is simply that SSF2 cartridge is larger than other Genesis cartridges and need a special method to be fully dumped ( the bankswitching described in above document). AtGames probably decided that one game was not worth modifying their basic dumping software.

Edited by philyso

That's a good video review, thanks for posting it. Looks like a decent but not perfect Nomad replacement for the cartridge folks -- love the shaking and bashing to show how stable it is with a cartridge inserted! Seems slow with iffy sound though.

How I would love a solidly built handheld with a big screen and nice controls. Maybe I should get back into PSP after all. ;-)

I recently got a different Mega Drive clone which is portable and takes cartridges. It seems to run better than the AtGames stuff but still not without it's issues.

Yeah these things can be neat as hell. I've gathered various models through the years. Places like DealExtreme and AliExpress are loaded with 'em. Cheap, as well.

These devices are partially why the whole 'Flashback/Ataribox' debates (whinefests) baffle me. There is just so much of this stuff available these days.

(Things like NES multicarts loaded with hundreds of legit games, cheap as chips on Ebay, yet folks lose their shit over the NES 'mini'/clone consoles, lol. Weird, man.)

(Things like NES multicarts loaded with hundreds of legit games, cheap as chips on Ebay, yet folks lose their shit over the NES 'mini'/clone consoles, lol. Weird, man.)

We're not going nuts because we want a little box to play games. There is no shortage of ways to play NES games. We lose our shit because we want the little model in an official box which is a friggin actual Nintendo product, or in this case officially licensed tiny Genesis. The rest of the bootleg/emulation/clone crap isn't really that. :P

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

We're not going nuts because we want a little box to play games. There is no shortage of ways to play NES games. We lose our shit because we want the little model in an official box which is a friggin actual Nintendo product, or in this case officially licensed tiny Genesis. The rest of the bootleg/emulation/clone crap isn't really that. :P

"Actual Nintendo product" and "isn't really that", eh? Huh.

post-61233-0-83704200-1501688362.gif

But hey, by all means, please do continue on bickering, wasting countless hours, and steaming up over a little $20 gray box that currently sells in the hundreds, lol......it's your collective lives/choice, after all!

;)

lol not sure what's your point. I don't bicker over nor waste countless hours over anything video game related. And I'm not sure what you're talking about. :P

Regarding playing NES games.. in this particular household the options are NES Classic, NES w/ N8 Everdrive (and actual carts of course, including multis), Analogue NT-Mini, Famicom Bootleg, Rpi3 and emulation via various means (PSP, DS, GBA, Xbox, Wii, and of course PC).. and I have one of those chinese N64 controllers with games... and that's only what I can remember quickly. Course there's bunches of other options I don't have.. e.g. Retron 5, etc.

I'm not trying to say I'm any different.. but rather this is probably what is TYPICAL of readers on this forum, including obviously yourself, as you have said.. because we are video game fans after all. :D But that reiterates that telling us about "oh there are so many options, why would you want the NES Classic/Mini Genesis.. lol") misses the point as to why the hardware (yes, including the box :lol: ) would be desired. :)

nes-classic-edition-box.png

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

I recently got a different Mega Drive clone which is portable and takes cartridges. It seems to run better than the AtGames stuff but still not without it's issues.

In the video you mention that the unit is targeted to Brazil (due to the Portuguese text all over) and as such it's PAL and 50Hz ... but that is wrong, Brazil is on PAL-M which is basically NTSC at 60Hz but with PAL color encoding (not to be confused with PAL60)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL-M

So I do not know if the unit runs at 50 or 60Hz but Brazil PAL-M is a 60Hz system.

Has anyone seen the HDMI consoles on Aliexpress?

http://s.aliexpress.com/RZF7n2qM

Ironically they're MUCH better than the official one.

Better how?

Fewer built in games?

$24 shipping from Asia?

No rewind feature?

No in depth English or video review?

I'm open to the idea, but need more than an aliexpress "buy now" link to be persuaded. Have you played this or know someone who has?

I see game footage but haven't found a full review.

https://youtu.be/DMxPbeDhgr8

It's more interesting on the outside than on the inside.

https://youtu.be/1qKX-3YdcaM

Just saw some videos on YT and the sound and emulation seemed pretty good. The only issue is sound is mono, which sucks.

And yeah, that video is what I saw. Is that not enough to show it's clearly better than the AtGames console?

EDIT: And I wasn't suggesting anyone buy one. Especially at that price. I just find it funny that it's better than the officially licensed console and thought people might like to take a look if they hadn't seen it. I have a Genny 1 with component cable so no need for a clone :)

Edited by MantaNZ

It looks like a flimsy cheap shell (like the AtGames one, unfortunately) and it's unclear to me if there's a version with wireless controllers. I know the AliExpress seller says there is, but they're not really reliable. It would also be nice to hear about cartridges or flash card compatibility.

Nice to have options, right?

• Like 1

It looks like a flimsy cheap shell (like the AtGames one, unfortunately) and it's unclear to me if there's a version with wireless controllers. I know the AliExpress seller says there is, but they're not really reliable.

Nice to have options, right?

They come with three controllers. One of them is wired. There is a thread on it somewhere. Guy who bought it said it was pretty good. I'll try find it.

• Like 1

Oh, weird. I saw the wired one in the video I posted. Now I'm tempted, even though it will be $70 with shipping.

Check this out. I didn't read it all but seems positive?

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?32463-Fei-Hao-MD-clone-with-HDMI-out

Edit: I read some more. Works with Everdrive and SMS games! Apparently the controllers are good too. I'm actually tempted just for 2.4GHz wireless controllers as I don't want to wear out my official IR ones. Haha.

Edited by MantaNZ
  • Like 1

Check this out. I didn't read it all but seems positive?

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?32463-Fei-Hao-MD-clone-with-HDMI-out

Edit: I read some more. Works with Everdrive and SMS games! Apparently the controllers are good too. I'm actually tempted just for 2.4GHz wireless controllers as I don't want to wear out my official IR ones. Haha.

That is very impressive for a Chinese clone. It will probably beat the atgames HDMI Genesis Flashback in several areas, even after final hardware has been released.

However, it looks like the HDMI chip is probably accepting an S-Video quality signal. There is no composite color artifacting going on but the video signal is not at the level of a quality RGB signal, even as converted. Of course, there could be some filtering going on in the HDMI chip.

I wonder if it is the same chip?

In the end I suspect AtGames did not design the thing from scratch so maybe it's the same "guts" so to speak.

If instead Atgames designed it from scratch Is suspect there's going to be chinese clones of it as likely AtGames has them manufactured somewhere there.

Nah this one has no OS. You just plug carts in and play so guessing hardware is totally different. I believe it is the same chip from another clone though. It's in the Sega 16 link I posted. At work now so can't really sift through it. lol.

In the end I suspect AtGames did not design the thing from scratch so maybe it's the same "guts" so to speak.

If instead Atgames designed it from scratch Is suspect there's going to be chinese clones of it as likely AtGames has them manufactured somewhere there.

No way in hell it's proprietary stuff on AtGames end. It's $10 Chinese clone guts inside a 'new' shell.

post-61233-0-73872000-1501792698.jpg

I've got a closetful of these things, each yearly release more inane than the last....

(I keep receiving them as gifts, I'm not forking over cash for one.)

The AtGames design is from scratch. I doubt that Chinese system is using Android-like technology like the Sega and Atari HDs are. It's almost certainly a system-on-a-chip with some type of HDMI scaler. That would explain why flash carts work on that Chinese system and why it has both analog and digital output.

• Like 1