IGNORED

Where do I purchase Team Pixelboy games?

tschak909

• 2 weeks later...

Email is the best way to contact Pixelboy. He responds quickly, and he will answer any questions you may have about his products, etc. His service and games are top-notch, straight down to the packaging, quality of shipping material, etc. He's also a really nice guy.

Another developer is Collectorvision:

http://collectorvision.com/product-category/colecovision/

Also visit Opcode Games (Makers of the Coleco SGM (Super Game Module) etc.,):

http://opcodegames.com

Edited to add urls

Edited by ColecoGamer

Email is the best way to contact Pixelboy. He responds quickly, and he will answer any questions you may have about his products, etc. His service and games are top-notch, straight down to the packaging, quality of shipping material, etc. He's also a really nice guy.

Another developer is Collectorvision:

http://collectorvision.com/product-category/colecovision/

Also visit Opcode Games (Makers of the Coleco SGM (Super Game Module) etc.,):

http://opcodegames.com

Edited to add urls

He actually wound up being very short with me, and was _very_ angry (perhaps frustrated is the right word) that I asked to purchase downloadable roms, as I do not have a CV.

-Thom

The coleco community does not sell roms.

Eventually when they are done producing games they release the roms for free, so you can look for those.

I believe only 1 or 2 games have sold roms from one of the developers but the producers have never sold roms and have said they are not interested in doing so.

So either search through the threads for the free roms that are out there or you will have to go to a different game system that sells roms if you don't like waiting the years before they become free.

• Like 1

That's very sad. It leaves a large potential market segment untapped.

(and yes, it is possible to serialize a rom so that you can tell if it leaked who it originally belonged to, has been demonstrated in other communities.)

and as for myself, anything that I produce, I not only provide roms, but source code, because I believe in sharing knowledge. I do not understand the insistence on treating the retro gaming community as something that can generate profit above all else.

-Thom

And yes, before ANYONE else jumps in and says, "well, we have to recoup our investment." ..If you're seriously doing this to recoup an investment in a community as small and focused as this, you need to be doing something else. Fun, learning, giving, and self fulfillment are the ONLY sane reasons to produce anything in these small communities. (If you seriously think Albert does this only for the reason of making money, you need to pay closer attention, passion and love are what keep this whole site and all its people here.)

-Thom

You know that's worst than a ROM beggar, Thom? A ROM beggar who can't take no for an answer.

Regardless if you've done any homebrew programming before, your comments above clearly prove that you have absolutely no idea of the logistics and investments involved. Basically, you don't know what you're talking about.

And sorry to burst the bubble, but I don't make any actual profit from my homebrew publishing activities, and I've never done it for profit anyway. Ever. And I've been doing this since 2010, or even before that if you count the few years I worked for Opcode Games.

If you're looking to ruffle the feathers of members of this small community, then please continue. You're off to a great start. :ponder:

• Like 5

I am not a ROM beggar, as I offered to pay for each and every copy of the game, even in physical form, so long as I could get a copy on ROM as well, and even provided a means to account for the ROM dump to show if the ROMs get leaked.

You are the one acting in poor attitude here. Would you like me to start pasting emails?

I simply find your argument to be unbelievably weak.

-Thom

I asked you all of this, in good faith, naiive of other actors in this community? perhaps.

What I DO NOT appreciate, is passive aggressive responses or non-responses to genuine questions. It shows a lack of basic social tact.

I mean, you don't even have so much as a formal price list, and when I outright ASKED you for a total price for everything in your catalog, you ignored it. I was actually being serious, as I would like to have a copy of this, as I see a potential for ColecoVision homebrew titles to fall through the cracks and not be properly preserved.

So, can we start off on the right foot, please?

-Thom

I know, and I understand this. I am not arguing that. I was even offering (although I should have been extremely explciit about it) to even pay for those ROMs that he had already released for free, as a thank you for doing excellent work.

I know I touched a nerve here, and formally apologize for doing so. But I do not appreciate literally being blown off in passive-aggressive (or even aggressive form) for some ancient unwritten rule in this community.

-Thom

for some ancient unwritten rule in this community.

There's no unwritten rule. Some of Opcode's games are available for free, some of Collectorvision's, quite a few of Team Pixelboy's, probably all or most of Daniel's, not many of Pkk's (I think). For anyone else who has published games, same thing - some are available, and some aren't. Mine are available. ;) There's also a few (or at least there was) that are available for sale (Daniel, Nanochess).

• Like 3

That's very sad. It leaves a large potential market segment untapped.

(and yes, it is possible to serialize a rom so that you can tell if it leaked who it originally belonged to, has been demonstrated in other communities.)

and as for myself, anything that I produce, I not only provide roms, but source code, because I believe in sharing knowledge. I do not understand the insistence on treating the retro gaming community as something that can generate profit above all else.

-Thom

Sorry, but your supposition that people that won't sell you roms are leaving a large potential market untapped has been proven to the contrary. In the last two years there have been examples in both the Intellivision and the ColecoVision areas, including serialized/watermarked roms. None of the numbers of roms sold come even close to half what the physical release sold. As honest as you may be, once a rom gets loose, poor copies with ink jet labels start showing up on eBay. That is why even those that sell roms will only do it after the release has gone cold, and in many cases like TeamPixelboy, he gives them away at Christmas. Considering his output, both prior and coming, deal with fact he won't sell you roms and play all the ones the home brewers HAVE released for free.

I believe somewhere here is a full zip file of all the free available ones.

• Like 3

I am not a ROM beggar, as I offered to pay for each and every copy of the game, even in physical form, so long as I could get a copy on ROM as well, and even provided a means to account for the ROM dump to show if the ROMs get leaked.

You are the one acting in poor attitude here. Would you like me to start pasting emails?

I simply find your argument to be unbelievably weak.

-Thom

You're entitled to your opinion, Thom, just like I'm entitled to mine. And calling my argument "unbelievably weak" can also be labelled as passive-aggressive, so it's really a case of the frying pan mocking the cauldron.

Also, if a ROM got leaked and I could somehow trace it back to the culprit, what would that really change? The ROM will still get distributed around for free, and all I could do is not deal with the culprit ever again, which would be a rather underwhelming measure.

• Like 5

Over the years I've wanted to purchase ALL of the games made available by the publishers, but circumstances have made that impossible for me. Would a ROM release be good for me - sure (would rather have a cart - NOT BOXED - CHEAPER :-) ) - but I've don't recall asking for one.

I'm not siding with the publisher/programmer or the requester of the ROM, but the former have a right to say no - period (wish they wouldn't on some games...). I look for games I don't have on EBAY / here (at a reasonable price) - still looking for several of them.

Jeff

JEFF31: I find the opening of your second paragraph of your response to be disingenuous in light of the posts liked in this thread.

Nonetheless, I understand the position of the developers and publishers in this thread, and respectfully apologize for stirring the pot.

I will still try to acquire the cartridges I can, and I guess I will need to build a dumping solution, as I do not have a ColecoVision, so that I can copy the cartridges into a form that my smart home platform can read.

-Thom

JEFF31: I find the opening of your second paragraph of your response to be disingenuous in light of the posts liked in this thread.

Nonetheless, I understand the position of the developers and publishers in this thread, and respectfully apologize for stirring the pot.

I will still try to acquire the cartridges I can, and I guess I will need to build a dumping solution, as I do not have a ColecoVision, so that I can copy the cartridges into a form that my smart home platform can read.

-Thom

dis·in·gen·u·ous

ˌdisənˈjenyo͞oəs/
adjective
  1. not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

Sorry you feel that way - but it is my 'candid / sincere' opinion - you have yours - case closed.

Good luck finding the games - as I hope to find the ones I'm missing also.

Jeff

-Thom

You could just find and play the MSX/sg1000 version of the games if you really really really want to play them.

• Like 1

JEFF31: I will still try to acquire the cartridges I can, and I guess I will need to build a dumping solution, as I do not have a ColecoVision, so that I can copy the cartridges into a form that my smart home platform can read.

-Thom

Something isn't right with the above statement. You keep saying you'll pay full price for the cartridges, even though you don't have a Coleco to play the games on. Yet you can go to eBay and buy a working Colecovision (which are in abundance I might add) for less than $60 with controllers and all hook ups. That's cheaper than all the Team Pixelboy games you want to buy combined. But instead, you're going to build a ROM dumping station?

I'm sorry, but your motive is pretty clear here...

Edited for spelling.

Edited by ColecoGamer