IGNORED

Jaguar "VGA" Questions - Composite Sync?

Jagosaurus

So I know it is 9 pin, 15Hz refresh, CGA RGB DB9. How is the sync handled, is it composite sync?

I am reading reviews on the OSSC line scaler. If the Jag VGA is composite sync, think could be a nice way to get the Jag running over HDMI. See quote below.

Any benefit to this over SCART RGB?

AV3 is the last input option and is positioned on the right side of the OSSC. It's a VGA style connector for RGBHV (VGA), RGBS, RGsB and YPbPr. While the SCART connector will accept sync on composite or luma, this port will only accept clean/composite sync. Like the other ports, the VGA input will also accept anything from 15 kHz signals to HD video. But unlike the SCART and component inputs, this input doesn't use the low-pass filter. The VGA input is useful for consoles like the Dreamcast, but can also be used as a general VGA to DVI transcoder.

Edited by Jagosaurus

Have never ran Jag through VGA.

However, Jag works great through OSSC or XRGB mini using rgb. Would recommend getting cable from this US eBay seller: http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories. They go in and out of stock regurarly. You can message them to ask if they will make one.

Can use their cables with either device.

Both devices have different advantages. To me XRGB mini can be tweaked for slightly better picture. OSSC has less lag which to me feels like slightly more responsive controllers.

PM or post if you have questions about setting up either or rgb modding any consoles. Jag thankfully does rgb without need of mod.

Have never ran Jag through VGA.

However, Jag works great through OSSC or XRGB mini using rgb. Would recommend getting cable from this US eBay seller: http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories. They go in and out of stock regurarly. You can message them to ask if they will make one.

Can use their cables with either device.

Both devices have different advantages. To me XRGB mini can be tweaked for slightly better picture. OSSC has less lag which to me feels like slightly more responsive controllers.

PM or post if you have questions about setting up either or rgb modding any consoles. Jag thankfully does rgb without need of mod.

Actually, I'm pretty curious if you don't mind. How do I go from RGB on a Jaguar (assuming I buy one of their cables), to hooking it up to a brand new flat screen TV? Would I then be able to use the component connectors?

So I know it is 9 pin, 15Hz refresh, CGA RGB DB9. How is the sync handled, is it composite sync?

I am reading reviews on the OSSC line scaler. If the Jag VGA is composite sync, think could be a nice way to get the Jag running over HDMI. See quote below.

Any benefit to this over SCART RGB?

There is no official DB9 cable. Are you using a third-party cable?

Anyway, no. No benefit over SCART RGB, it's the same signal.

Actually, I'm pretty curious if you don't mind. How do I go from RGB on a Jaguar (assuming I buy one of their cables), to hooking it up to a brand new flat screen TV? Would I then be able to use the component connectors?

You'd need a RGB-to-component transcoder with the appropriate cables. But it does not work on all TVs, some of them do not support 240p signals on component inputs.

@Zero, Cat box or similar solution for the 9 pin out. I've never used it personally and don't see many discuss it. It gets ignored in favor of SCART discussions which isn't necessarily easier for us in the States. For example, my gameroom TV accepts 15 pin VGA 31Hz... but not the older standard. Wish there was an easy way to have it accept the 15Hz refresh rate. I've seen others here link a newer LCD monitor (NEC) I belive that can handle it natively. We never got SCART over here :(.

So essentially, the only plus to the Jag "VGA" hook up via Cat Box is the ability to hook directly up to the older CRT PC monitors, or the unlikely event a newer LCD monitor accepts it directly also (for us that didn't get anything better than composite or S vid in US).

@82, the current most established methods would be euro SCART RGB > XRGB mini scaler with a mini DIN to SCART adapter (or OSSC line multipler) > HDMI out

I'm just interested in how the 9 pin VGA style hook up compares in picture quality to the 9 pin set up, which it looks like can interface with the OSSC 9 pin input depending on how sync is carried. The scaler type devices seem to handle different but similar signals in unique ways.

Would be cool to see a video comparison of Jag RGB SCART vs Jag 9 Pin.

So essentially, the only plus to the Jag "VGA" hook up via Cat Box is the ability to hook directly up to the older CRT PC monitors, or the unlikely event a newer LCD monitor accepts it directly also (for us that didn't get anything better than composite or S vid in US).

The monitor port on the CatBox is not VGA: it has 9 pins in two rows, whereas the VGA one has 15 pin in three rows. It's also 15 kHz instead of 31 kHz.

Despite what some persons say, it's not CGA either, even if the connector is the same: it's analog, whereas CGA is digital.

It was intended to be used with the old 15 kHz analog color monitors (Atari made some for the ST, Commodore had similar models).

You could use it with a VGA monitor or a modern TV, but you'd need a custom cable (VGA uses a 15-pin high-density connector, not 9-pin), and few of those support 15 kHz anyways.

I'm just interested in how the 9 pin VGA style hook up compares in picture quality to the 9 pin set up, which it looks like can interface with the OSSC 9 pin input depending on how sync is carried.

It won't make any difference in quality, both use the same video signals (analog RGB). Edited by Zerosquare

@Zero, that's why I put VGA in "air quotes". Gets lost in forum post sometimes. I realize VGA is a standard, not a type of connection. I also mentioned the Hz (15 vs 31) & pinout (9 vs 15) count difference. I'm not video expert by any means, but I understand that piece. Similar to how a SCART connector does not equal RGB. You can push composite over a SCART connector, etc.

It won't make any difference in quality, both use the same video signals (analog RGB).

That was one part of my curiosity. Thanks for clarifying. It is standard RGB, just over that 9 pin, 15Hz old school "VGA type" connection.

For the cost of a cat box, I can dang near buy a Framemeister XRGB mini & SCART cables. So doesn't seem worth the cost.

Now interested in two parts:

How's the Jag look on an older Atari or Amiga monitor using the 9 pin connection? Wish I had my old PB monitor that came with my 486 :). I remember it using this connection.

How's the Jag look using this connection on a modern LCD that accepts the signal over 9 pin? Guess it would be similar to modern Europe LCD sets that accept RGB SCART. Again, across the pond we have no reference point. Composite & s vid only for Jag on modern sets (unless using scaler) & even that is dissappearing quick in favor on HDMI only.

I'm just into researching all my options for connecting to modern sets in the future.

Edited by Jagosaurus

Jag >>> rgb scart cable >>> OSCC or XRGB_mini >>> HDMI cable from OSSC or XRGB mini >>> flat screen tv

How's the Jag look on an older Atari or Amiga monitor using the 9 pin connection? Wish I had my old PB monitor that came with my 486 :). I remember it using this connection.

I don't have a good photo of such a monitor hooked up to a Jaguar handy, but here's how a typical RGB monitor looks like:

The Jaguar looks just as crisp on those.

How's the Jag look using this connection on a modern LCD that accepts the signal over 9 pin?

That depends a lot on the LCD - it ranges from "pretty good" to "terrible". More expensive models are not always better. Edited by Zerosquare

Keeping in mind the XRGB & OSSC devices both output via HDMI, but technically are two different techniques entirely.

Yes OSSC is linedoubler (or 3x, 4x or 5x) and has no framebuffer. XRGB has framebuffer and can process signal. That's why XRGB mini will have a little more lag than OSSC. Both however are excellent products. Once you get either one you'll be rgb modding all your old consoles.