IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

Hyperkin have officially acknowledged that they will be demoing the RetroN 77 at their booth (#235 in the South Hall, for anyone able to attend) and gave a shout-out to John, linking to his video on their FaceBook page. icon_smile.gif I'm personally using another device, designed by another AtariAge member, here, for my 2600 needs, that cost quite a bit more, so I'm still rationalizing that purchase. :)

https://www.facebook.com/HyperkinGames/posts/1376422929059466

• Like 4

The lastest Retron HD was hardware based, unlike the Retron 5. I did a review of it on my channel. I predict that this console will not be any different. I am very interested in this and excited to see this announced. A couple of things that we can hope for.

1. Plays near 100 percent of library including harmony cart and homebrews.

2. Cart port that can accept all third party cart designs.

3. sound and color accuracy

4. System durability

Between this, the Atari Box, and the Atgames hardware I would say that this is a great time to love Atari games.

Agreed. I think that's probably near the top or at the top of importance to most or all of us.

• Like 2

Don't go turning this "wish list" into facts.

You can't highlight "including harmony cart and homebrews" and make it true.

It says, "things we can hope for."

The lastest Retron HD was hardware based, unlike the Retron 5. I did a review of it on my channel. I predict that this console will not be any different. I am very interested in this and excited to see this announced. A couple of things that we can hope for.

1. Plays near 100 percent of library including harmony cart and homebrews.

2. Cart port that can accept all third party cart designs.

3. sound and color accuracy

4. System durability

Between this, the Atari Box, and the Atgames hardware I would say that this is a great time to love Atari games.

I'm not usually this negative, but I'll point out when things are taken incorrectly.

I do not know what "hardware based" really means, but the Flashback 2's approach almost got it 100% right except for one thing :

Needed illegal opcodes added.

The fact that adding a cartridge connector doesn't play more real carts was found to be due to a change that was implemented late in production and not from the designer. If the production didn't change the original design, all bankswitch and extra ram carts would play. Need proof? It plays the built-in Millipede which has Sara RAM but the real cart fails. The Flashback 2 is capable of playing all games that do not use illegal opcodes with 2600 accuracy.

If RetroN 77 is recreating the Atari chipset, which is the easiest approach with a good chance of being close to 100% accurate, then it will a retro-gamer's dream come true.

The past has shown "Nintendo on a Chip" to be good, "Atari on a Chip" to be good, and "Sega on a Chip" to be bad.

I didn't say they were true, I said they were important.

Apologies. My bad.

On the topic of FPGA. Aren't they used to "make hardware chips"?

If this is hardware-based it would have to replicate the original 3 IC chips, right?

Apologies. My bad.

On the topic of FPGA. Aren't they used to "make hardware chips"?

If this is hardware-based it would have to replicate the original 3 IC chips, right?

Essentially yes. The interesting thing is despite having complete decapped chips, schematics and physical copies of machines to observe and analyze for 40 years, many people still find odd quirks in FPGA implementations of IC’s as compared to physical chips. *shrug*

Having said that, affordable FPGA-based hardware emulation sits better with me than emulating everything using a generic processor core and software.

• Like 1

Hopefully someone will be going to their booth today and getting the scoop on this.

Agreed! I really can't wait to see what this system is going to look like, and what kind of controller it will be packed with. Will they try to remake the CX-40 or go with a single button joypad that modern gamers would be more familiar with? It'll be really interesting to find out when someone can get to their booth and snap some pictures.

• Like 1

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So stoked about this! That look is gonna take a little getting used to, but I can appreciate that they kept the form factor in line with the Retron HD. :)

But hey, if it runs 2600 carts through HDMI, it doesn't matter. :-D

I'm not seeing difficulty switches, though. In the back, or in software (which wouldn't make much sense since it has Reset and Game Select switches)?...

EDIT: I hope they can turn the Reset and Select switches into the faux-chrome type (same as the Power switch) before it launches, but that's nitpicky. I can't wait for this thing!

Edited by BassGuitari

1. What's the USB cable useful for? (firmware/Stella updates?)

Any details about the save states? (e.g. how many)

A picture from the back would be nice (still looking for some more switches)

PAL compatibility/version?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

The USB port is for power. Considering making it open sorce based on what they've seen from the Atari community. No save states yet. Hardware is very early. Input lag doesn't seem to be a problem. Had a very good run in both Atari Pac-Man and Missile Command. For an early prototype it's a very impressive product.