IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

So it takes in cartridges, yet still needs an emulator? While I'm sure there's a logical explanation for it, it still seems weird to me.

Games play off the cart to my knowledge not sure if it's

A rom dump emu or not

Edited by Kaiju

It's already been mentioned numerous times that this runs Stella, which is a software emulator. This isn't a 2600-on-a-chip like the Flashback 2 used or a FPGA replication.

Aaah ok. So it just dumps the Rom and runs in emulation, like the Retron5 does?

^Maybe, there is still some hemming and hawing about this. There seems to be little lag once it's up and running, though. The thing is, is that it comes with a seemingly decent joy-stick and workable case , that if it comes in around the $50 range, as suggested, would be be difficult to match at a similar price-point with a Ra-Pi or similar solution. One could obviously run multiple emulators on a pi and print a nice case for it, but *rubs chin* Eh, for example I'm using an Analogue NT Mini, right now as an everything box and it is a nice piece of kit and will be even more lovely once some proposed accessories eventually are out for it, but something like this, that is ready out of the box and dedicated , no fuss, at this price-point, has a certain appeal. Sometimes, it's just nice to have a dedicated thing and I'd love for something like this to come from "official" sources and maybe, someday, they will, but here we go. icon_wink.gif

I don't think this will happen, but I wish they would make a portable Atari 2600 that plays real cartridges. Similar to their "Supa-Boy". Still it's a step in the right direction.

If this is gonna be what people are saying it's going to be, I would say that this will be the go-to portable Atari system next to the AFP.

Edited by Atari PAC-MAN Fan

It's already been mentioned numerous times that this runs Stella, which is a software emulator. This isn't a 2600-on-a-chip like the Flashback 2 used or a FPGA replication.

It may be a very old version of Stella, though.

Nope, not with "loading times," and talk of save states. It looks like it reads the cartridge into the emulator and plays from there.

Absolutely. And let's be frank... With all the benefits of emulation (HD, save states, etc.) and the fact that most people don't really care about perfect authenticity (those people have the original hardware), I'd be surprised if we see very many more truly hardware-based products again until FPGA solutions become more affordable, and even then we're kind of bending some definitions.

• Like 3

Absolutely. And let's be frank... With all the benefits of emulation (HD, save states, etc.) and the fact that most people don't really care about perfect authenticity (those people have the original hardware), I'd be surprised if we see very many more truly hardware-based products again until FPGA solutions become more affordable, and even then we're kind of bending some definitions.

That's right. True-to-spec original hardware repro isn't likely to happen for a long time. If ever. It simply costs too much. The lure of cheap & shitty SoC + free emulator is the way forward. Most any hobbyist can get an emulator going on those.

FPGA is still way to niche, said it before and I say it again, it's too specialized. There aren't many hobbyists into videogames and VHDL/Verilog AND whom have in interest in recreating the vintage experience. Let alone get all the details right. Not many.

• Like 1