IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

$25 here in the states. Do you want one?

Amazon.com: Hyperkin "Ranger" Premium Wired Gamepad for Atari 2600 / RetroN 77 : Everything Else 

I also discovered, if I plug a ranger into the retron ranger adapter's left port and plug the adapter into P1 front port the same thing happens. If I plug a second ranger into the right adapter port, player one can only move on the left hand side of the screen. You stop moving right at the midpoint of the screen. If you unplug the second ranger, it goes back to jumping like it was before.

I also tried other paddle games, same thing.

Edited by Draxxon

28 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

No worries, it's not the controller. The paddles work perfect via OTG and show the odd behavior via front ports.

I totally get that. Maybe just going back to the previous community firmware is the answer for me.

Edited by Draxxon

I have a suspicion ? @Draxxon Do you experience a deadzone with the ranger on the old firmware? The video looks to me as if Hyperkin actually tried to work around the deadzone in the controller firmware and deliberately programmed it to "jump" over the deadzone that is enforced by the linux kernel. That would explain what you are experiencing.

No. stock, and with the last version of the community build, the ranger did not jump like that.

you could play paddle games with 2 rangers and the hyperkin ranger adapter in the front P1 port.

they were lagged and worked about as well as the paddles on the AFBs. 1000 points max on kaboom, but they did not jump like they do now.

I have tried setting some paddle input mappings to default as recommended earlier here and it didn't change anything. I haven't tried settings for individual games.

Edited by Draxxon

20 minutes ago, DirtyHairy said:

I have a suspicion ? @Draxxon Do you experience a deadzone with the ranger on the old firmware? The video looks to me as if Hyperkin actually tried to work around the deadzone in the controller firmware and deliberately programmed it to "jump" over the deadzone that is enforced by the linux kernel. That would explain what you are experiencing.

Doesn't this supposition conflict with being able to reproduce with standard Atari paddles, so long as they are plugged into the front port vs. 2600daptor?

Little update: Ive been messing with settings for the last couple days. I couldn't figure out how to resolve the issue.

I went back to the last revision and thats going to work best for me.

Gotta say, we have been playing a lot of Enduro with the ranger in stick mode. Its pretty nice.

We will solve the problem, but it may take a while. 

What you see is the result of eliminating the paddle dead zone. Currently we are discussing how this change could result into this. In the next step we will analyse the port inputs and most likely find a solution.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Guys, I'm tired and am I'm asking for help. I saw that the recent update of Stella for the Retron 77 can turn off the overclock and it might finally get me off the 3.9.5 update that I have on the system. (I think that's what it was at least I can't remember well right now. I tried to figure out how to enable that setting but I can't figure it out. I've been up for a few days trying to do it myself but I keep going in loops and probably just have no idea what I'm doing. I'm sure this isn't hard honestly but I can't figure it out and want to ask if someone can send me an SD card with the overclock disabled so I can finally try and see if it works. I'll even pay someone if that helps, I just can't do it myself at this point. If someone can help let me know, as at this point I have no clue how to do it myself and would like to get more than 2 hours of sleep for now. Thanks.

On 1/24/2022 at 3:48 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I saw this the day I tried to do it myself and tried it again today, and I have no idea what's going on here. I think I have to load up the SD card to the system, then put it in developer mode on the 77, then go to my PC & change the settings. But exactly where and how to change the settings I don't understand and I can only boot up the Retron 77 once before it locks up and either only shows a black screen or it doesn't output a signal at all and I have to flash it again. So I'm still left with no clue on what's going on, so if anyone has some assistance or could just make me a version with everything ready that would be great. The previous offer also still stands, as it seems more viable than me trying to figure this out currently.

No developer mode needed (the doc is wrong). You only have to edit the sys/settings file in the SD cart and add DONT_OVERCLOCK on your PC. 

Then the R77 will start limited to 1 GHz (instead of 1.2 GHZ). If it still doesn't work, your hardware is buggy.