IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

~$40 :)

That's a perfectly cromulent asking price.

If I had to just choose one, I'd choose the AtGames Atari Flashback Gold Activision Edition with wireless controllers and included wired paddles and 130 onboard games for $80.

Since I don't have to choose just one, this looks pretty good too, especially if it will use those aforementioned accessories.

It should be fun to exhume my old cartridges and play VCS on semi-faithful hardware.

Thanks for the spy pics!

• Like 1

Good lord people!! It is $40!!! FORTY US DOLLARS!!! Just buy the damn thing!! It is not like they are asking for your first born, and you have to mortgage the house!! Most of you will drop $40 on beer on a Friday night, EASILY!!

It plays vintage games, It is inexpensive, It is encouraging developers to make more products, I am buying it sight unseen. I will worry about the details later.

Edited by scotty
  • Like 9

I don't see the point in an upside down label facing the front. After being used to putting the carts in the other way I can see myself trying to put the cart in and wondering why it doesn't go all the time until I'm like duh, the stupid designers made it backwards.

• Like 9

Currently does work with Harmony cart. This will remain pending legal dept approval.

Has 4x3 and 16x9 modes. Has color & b/w modes

Built around Stella emulator

Will work with track balls, 3rd party controllers, etc.

Heading back for more questions

Trak-Ball and Harmony support :-o -- Sold!!!

Thanks for the pics and info. Doc.

• Like 4

Difficulty switches, bxw mode, etc implemented through software front end. Supports cartridge hot swapping.

Carts go in backwards

When does the pre-sale begin? :)

BTW, this beauty could use a custom dustcover :-D http://atariage.com/forums/topic/202924-custom-dust-covers-for-classic-consolesupdated-61317/?p=2601066

• Like 1

Good lord people!! It is $40!!! FORTY US DOLLARS!!! Just buy the damn thing!! It is not like they are asking for your first born, and you have to mortgage the house!! Most of you will drop $40 on beer on a Friday night, EASILY!!

It plays vintage games, It is inexpensive, It is encouraging developers to make more products, I am buying it sight unseen. I will worry about the details later.

Yes. It plays old game ---on modern displays. Winning.
  • Like 3

Currently does work with Harmony cart. This will remain pending legal dept approval.

Has 4x3 and 16x9 modes. Has color & b/w modes

Built around Stella emulator

Will work with track balls, 3rd party controllers, etc.

Heading back for more questions

Thank you for this. As long as perpheral controllers, Harmony, and DCP+ games work, I am golden! ;-)

• Like 2

Difficulty switches, bxw mode, etc implemented through software front end. Supports cartridge hot swapping.

Is it possible to toggle the difficulty/b&w switches in game? Accessing a menu in game to toggle would be a fugly solution. Some homebrews also use the b&w for pause, though if there is an in-game menu home screen, pause function would be redundant.

Is it possible to toggle the difficulty/b&w switches in game? Accessing a menu in game to toggle would be a fugly solution. Some homebrews also use the b&w for pause, though if there is an in-game menu home screen, pause function would be redundant.

Some like Starmaster and Space Shuttle use them in-game to change modes.

I don't really care about 1080p myself with old video games, I just don't see the point. It is more important though IMO on newer consoles with better graphics but I mean there really isn't much detail in an Atari 2600 that gives the need for 1080p. I just don't get it. If the console is priced nice it might be a nice source for accessories though.

EDIT:

What I'm getting at is this. If the console itself is incapable of displaying a graphic image in 1080p with full colors and detail then there is no point in displaying 1080p. The Atari 2600 cannot do that, so you really wouldn't notice any difference if it were 720p or 1080p. The only advantage I guess would be that the picture is digital and you get rid of any ghosting or other similar problems with composite or RF. But I swear if they were to announce a 4k Atari 2600 people would go crazy over it, but just like I mentioned before you would notice no difference between it either and 720p via HDMI.

I think its more of a convenience/commonality thing than a picture quality thing. Its nice to know it can be plugged into any modern TV, monitor, amp, switch box, etc using a modern available connection.

I don't really care about 1080p myself with old video games, I just don't see the point. It is more important though IMO on newer consoles with better graphics but I mean there really isn't much detail in an Atari 2600 that gives the need for 1080p. I just don't get it. If the console is priced nice it might be a nice source for accessories though.

EDIT:

What I'm getting at is this. If the console itself is incapable of displaying a graphic image in 1080p with full colors and detail then there is no point in displaying 1080p. The Atari 2600 cannot do that, so you really wouldn't notice any difference if it were 720p or 1080p. The only advantage I guess would be that the picture is digital and you get rid of any ghosting or other similar problems with composite or RF. But I swear if they were to announce a 4k Atari 2600 people would go crazy over it, but just like I mentioned before you would notice no difference between it either and 720p via HDMI.

I think its more of a convenience/commonality thing than a picture quality thing. Its nice to know it can be plugged into any modern TV, monitor, amp, switch box, etc using a modern available connection.

The case looks pretty rough, the front switches and the back look 3d printed.

Its a demo unit, probably put together just for E3 (notice the missing switch and port labels displayed on the box). I like its overall appearance and plan on placing this between my Atari and Sears heavy sixers.