IGNORED

SIO2SD: Running BASIC programs

Tried finding a solution to this here and elsewhere before posting. Apologies in advance if this info is readily available and I overlooked it.

I am having problems running BASIC programs via SIO2SD. Some ATRs with their own menus run OK (the Antic Casten game disk, for example). Other ATRs go to the READY prompt, I type DOS, I see files when I type A and return to READY prompt when I type B.

The consistent problem I experience at this point is I run the LOAD command for a program and it seems data is transfered to the computer. It even returns to the READY prompt. But trying to do a RUN, LIST or any other commands lock up the computer until I reboot.

I am able to load/run BASIC programs from floppies.

Suggestions?

Tried finding a solution to this here and elsewhere before posting. Apologies in advance if this info is readily available and I overlooked it.

I am having problems running BASIC programs via SIO2SD. Some ATRs with their own menus run OK (the Antic Casten game disk, for example). Other ATRs go to the READY prompt, I type DOS, I see files when I type A and return to READY prompt when I type B.

The consistent problem I experience at this point is I run the LOAD command for a program and it seems data is transfered to the computer. It even returns to the READY prompt. But trying to do a RUN, LIST or any other commands lock up the computer until I reboot.

I am able to load/run BASIC programs from floppies.

Suggestions?

run SALVAGEX.BAS on the unlistable .BAS file

The program starts by getting the 'filespec' of the .BAS file to work on.

'filespec' means give the 'D:FILENAME', specify the drive (Dn.FILENAME.EXT).

FILENAME means just give the filename, it knows the Dn: it will use.

SALVAGE will go thru the .BAS file, line by line and make a LISTed file.

After the LIST file is made, you can ENTER "D:FILENAME.LST" and then "SAVE D:FILENAME.BAS"

It might be a good idea to "NEW" before the "ENTER"

It might be good to "LIST" the ENTERed file to screen before 'SAVEing'' it.

SALVAGEX.BAS

Edited by russg

Does the same problem ATR work on the same machine when copied to a real drive?

If maybe they're protected programs, maybe try RUN''D:file.ext insead of load? Maybe for some reason it wants a specific basic ROM (A vs B vs C rev)

Is the RAM in the machine ok? Check with selftest (bye command from basic) How much is free? Check with: ? fre(0)

Can you share the specific ATR here or privately and I/we can test it as well?

Edited by Nezgar

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Unfortunately, I could not run the salvage program (does the same thing as every other basic program I try to run--nothing).

Every basic program either loaded or ran stops all keyboard input, and even reset does not allow me to start typing again.

? Fre(0) returns 34218. Self-test for memory of my 130xe is all good.

What compounds my bafflement is:

- same programs loaded from disk run OK

- some programs wrapped in an interface (i.e. The Casten Game Disk) run their basic programs just fine--loading from DOS on the SIO2SD is not working

Did you put the BASIC program onto an ATR file? I don't think you can simply put your BAS file on the SD card directly. You can do that with XEX files but I thought a BASIC program would be expecting a disk. I know I can load BASIC programs that are on the ATR. I have a large BASIC program (Fury, 1991 adventure game) along with my own very small BASIC programs. As long as the BASIC programs are on an ATR file, I've had no problems loading the BASIC program. The SIO2SD device simply presents the ATR file as a disk to the Atari.

Your problem might be elsewhere, but I wanted to mention this as a possibility.

Bob C

You should use dir2atr on pc and prepare the contents of the .atr file with dir2atr , put a dos in the atr file and the *.bas file which you want to execute in the same atr file. to do that create a directory and put the dos file and the bas file in it. Then execute dir2atr and choose the directory which contains the dos and the bas file. it will convert it to .atr file. then copy that atr file to your sd card and put the sd card in your sio2sd . The trick is , you can not do what you are wanting with all dos versions. you should try one by one , which dos works good for loading .bas files with it. For me mydos 4.53 works good with my unocart. for sio2sd maybe another dos version works good , you can download a huge dos repository from here :

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_149816525084413&key=bbb516d91daee20498798694a42dd559&libId=j48wrl8u010004m6000DAew4flkgktk09&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fatari.boards.net%2Fthread%2F53%2Fclassic-menus-utility-disks&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fredirect.viglink.com%2F%3Fkey%3Dbbb516d91daee20498798694a42dd559%26u%3Dhttps%253A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Fuc%253Fexport%253Ddownload%2526id%253D0B6IjqB2ttjP0c3FVNVpyMWFsRGs&title=Classic%20Menus%20%2F%20Utility%20Disks%20%7C%20Atari%20Sector&txt=drive.google.com%2Fuc%3Fexport%3Ddownload%26amp%3Bid%3D0B6IjqB2ttjP0c3FVNVpyMWFsRGs

to test if it works :

after booting with sio2sd . type dos

type A to see the contents

if you can see the .bas file , press reset or type B (can not know which one because I dont have a sio2sd) try both of them one by one.

you should get a ready prompt.

type : LOAD "D1:PROGRAM.BAS

note : change the PROGRAM.BAS with the name of the bas file before typing .then type LIST .

if it doesnt list the contents of the .bas file or locks etc.. , then the dos version you used is not compatible. try this until you can see the contents of the bas file.

Edited by xdslx