IGNORED

Old technology needed for my new TV

Well, it happens... once you start hanging a bunch of classic game machines on a modern TV you start to get the same problems you had in the 1980's. So now, like then, there is only one RF connector on the back. A small and discrete switchbox is needed... has anyone had any experience with

<< THIS ONE >>? I'd prefer to get one that does not attenuate the signal.

Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg

Do you have an a/v switcher laying around by chance? With adapters (when necessary), that's what I use. Plus, don't have to use those stiff and uncooperative coax cables. Can just use a 75ohm rca cable if needed.

Not anymore, back in the day I had a video selector << like this >> that would switch between multiple items, but as the technology and connectors changed, I no longer needed it, or had room for it. I seriously never thought I'd ever use that type connector again, especially with everything being HDMI.

The seller accepted my $9.00 offer, so when I finally get it, I'll add a 24" length coax cable into the mix and use a Command StripTM to attach it into place. Small size and aesthetics are important in this installation.

Those with buttons have always worked better(for me) than the one with the slide (oem).

Over the years I've switched from worn out switch box to that style with a rca coax adapter and have happier for it.

Just watch out if you are using the tv tuner for OTA or cable, some of the older stuff has bandwidth problems.

If your just switching between games, it will be fine.

• Like 1

Those with buttons have always worked better(for me) than the one with the slide (oem).

Just watch out if you are using the tv tuner for OTA or cable, some of the older stuff has bandwidth problems.

The TV in the guest room is on antenna as it's not worth paying monthly for another satellite tuner that would never get much use, besides it's on the home WiFi network and it can always use NetFlix.

The switch turned out to be a very well built unit and works fantastic... no attenuation or upper band signal issues whatsoever.

I decided to label the A & B settings. icon_smile.gif

gallery_35324_1027_65863.jpg

I decided to label the A & B settings. icon_smile.gif

Super classy icon_wink.gif

Following old RF tech-

I found this beast at the junk store today (unique / savers):

ARCHER RS (radio shack) video selector switch cat. 15-1265

Needed switches cleaned with detoxit - work as well as expected after that.

post-47811-0-54241200-1497927749_thumb.jpgpost-47811-0-98709600-1497927757_thumb.jpgpost-47811-0-88892700-1497927768_thumb.jpg

Other switches - all coax (type f) unless listed.

15-1261 - same but woodgrain and bigger knobs

15-1262 - like 1261, three out

15-1263 - powered 4 * 4 composite video + stereo

15-1264 - three out - no rca in - amplified

15-1265 - Pictured above

15-1266 - Black push button - two out - no rca

15-1267 - NES / sega automatic switch

15-1268 - OLD school atari style slide rf swtich - both 75ohm and 300 connectors

15-1269 - another old school rf switch - 300 ohm connectors only

15-2100 - black push button three out - no rca - amplified

This list should help anyone looking in the future.icon_shades.gif

Edited by H454
  • Like 3

I *always* used amplified selectors. They are more difficult to find, but because they are powered the signal was so much better. I actually found one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Archer-Amplified-Video-Selector-15-2100-Black-Connector-Male-/172710151100?epid=1207970183&hash=item283653c3bc:g:GUoAAOSw3xJXn5HR

In my opinion that was one of the best ones available at the time. In fact I sold one to my brother back in the day... AND HE'S STILL USING IT with no problems after 30+ years.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

I like how it says "Amplified video selector" right on the front. Does that just mean it takes power?

I have a few things like this in the basement. What am I waiting for?

Yup, that's the cord in the pic above.

But, ALL of these work better with good quality cables(like rg6). If you use those slide on coax you got free with your vcr 20 years ago, you will notice the difference. ;)

Yeah I had one of those A/B switchers for using both an Atari computer & NES to the same early 80's TV. In fact I didn't bother with using the Atari RF swtichbox since I used a phono-to-coax adapter, and yes the Atari computers used a wrapped iron core in their RF cables to get rid of the herring bone pattern. So the A/B switches do a great job of seperating the RF signals.

Of course I had yet to actually try to hook my old Atari stuff to a HDTV through the RF port so I had no idea how "bad" it would look, something to try out on the weekend.

• Like 1

Just pulled the trigger on one from eBay. :P

Great choice! I have used many selectors over the years and found the amplified selectors are the best to use for multiple consoles and computers. The powered units just work better and provide a cleaner stronger signal. I used the same one you purchased with an Atari 5200 and it was the *only* way I had a great signal with the console. As a matter of fact the signal was so good you could swear the console with composite modded.

On the composite and s-vid side I only have a couple of systems hooked up and use a non-powered Radio Shack four way mini box and that works very well, but I know things can be better with an amplified box from past experience. Either way the Radio Shack (and Archer which is their alternate brand) are fantastic devices in both their amplified composite and RF boxes. The only other selector that I was impressed with from another manufacturer was the Terk MOD-41 (which is another composite/s-vid amplified box)

Edited by eightbit

I got it hooked up and just have my 2600 running into it. The picture looks better than just running to the coax on the TV. I did find a RG6 cord that and I'm thinking of getting a better RF cable to run from the Atari.

Have you tried making your own?

Making your own RF you can get twice the quality for the same price.

I made mine with Gepco VHD2000m cable, that has a flexible core. (note: the flexible core has to use solder end)

post-47811-0-26484200-1499901352_thumb.jpg

Or but one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Steren-25-ft-RCA-RCA-RG59-Coaxial-Cable-Black-ST-206-015/205316148?cm_mmc=CJ-_-1319015-_-10368321&AID=10368321&PID=1319015&SID=1174849338537&gclsrc=ds&gclid=COjypq3isdICFcNNjgodwaoATw&cj=true

That cable is rg59, more than enough shielding for rf cable. Also, if you swap out the small rca jack on the 2600 board to a standard size, there is room for a normal rca end.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the cable on the way and the male ends, but I'm having trouble finding a replacement RCA jack.

I've used this one a couple times:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cui-inc/RCJ-021/CP-1406-ND/408493

Choose the cheapest shipping (U.S. Postal Service First Class Mail -under $4), it takes a lot more than you think to get over 8 oz.

• Like 1