IGNORED

Problem with a 2600

Giltygear

Hi, this is my first time posting, so please, be gentle...

Anyway, I had just purchased a 2600 4-switch (model CX2600A) with about 15 games from a freind and was told by them that it worked and that the only thing that it needed was the RF switchbox. I went out a bought the switch box and connected up the system with no problems (no wires came out or anything like that). However, when I turn on the system with some of the games, all I get is a black screen. With other games, I get a rolling picture (no sprites are discernable and no sound is heard). With "Berzerk," I get a flash of the opening screen, then the screen goes to vertical yellow lines.

The system itself is getting power and the switch box works perfectly (I tried it on my freinds 4-switch (same model) and had no problems with it. I'm thinking that it may be a problem with the games and that I need to clean them, or it may be the systems cartridge slot or one of the wires or connectors which lead into that unit. I figured before I take it back to my freind in a fit of blind rage, I would ask the people that actually KNOw what they're doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just got into collecting for the 2600, and like to have working equipment when I sell/trade/buy.

My freind who has the other 4-switch says that it might just be dirty or dusty. A good point, but hopefully I can get a better answer. Thanks.

its the one that came with it - output: 117v, input: 9v (I may have the output/input mixed up, but you get the idea)

my freinds model has a 120v AC, so that might be the problem.

As far as it working then failing, it doesnt work at all, i either get a blank screen, a rolling picture, or those vertical lines

The carts aren't making good contact with the 2600 game connector it sounds like. Also the games probably all need a really good cleaning as does the cart connector it self.

Search the forums for information on doing this very thing.

:)

I agree, sounds like the cartridges need cleaning. They've probably

been sitting around for years before you bought them. Dust and

even a thin layer of oxidation builds up on the copper contacts. An

old toothbrush or Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol will do the trick.

Even though alcohol evaporates quickly I usually wait a few minutes

before sticking the cartridge back into the console. Atari branded

cartridges will be a bit trickier to clean because they have that cover.

But there's instructionson this website somewhere, I think under

"How To"...

I'd say about a third of all Atari cartridges I find need this treatment.

I recently got into Sega Genesis and found they are much more

likely to suffer this problem. Every single Genesis cartridge that I've

acquired so far, without exception, has needed cleaning.

its the one that came with it - output: 117v, input: 9v  (I may have the output/input mixed up, but you get the idea)

my freinds model has a 120v AC, so that might be the problem.

As far as it working then failing, it doesnt work at all, i either get a blank screen, a rolling picture, or those vertical lines

No, 120v / 117v doesn't really matter...what I was wondering was how many volts/amps the adapter is putting out (9vDC - 500mA). If either of those are too low, it won't function.

And I thought that you said that Berzerk would give you the screen before it failed?

It actually is a 9VDC 500mA adapter...

As far as "Berzerk" goes, heres the deal:

when I turn on the system, theres a very quick flash of the very first screen (with the "H" structure in the middle of the room). Its very quick, but you can tell what is on the screen before the vertical yellow lines show up. It's very odd, I know, but I'm beginning to think that the system itself is fine, and that the problem may lie in the cartridges or the cartridge unit in the system.

I haven't actually gotten around to cleaning them because if my schedule at work (I work at a Gamestop... ALL sorts of gaming goodness going on there... :P ). I know how to clean the carts, but how would i go about cleaning the unit on the system itself? I opened up my 2600 when I first experienced this problem, to see if any of the wires were disconnected, and noticed that surrounding the cartridge unit was a metal "cover" (for lack of a better term). I was told that this was to sheild what was underneath that cover from dust and debris, as it was very sensitive to that. Now, whether or not that's true, I don't know.

I don't think that its even neccesary that I go into that part of the system, but if cleaning the carts themselves don't work, that may be my only option :sad:

On a side note, thank you for all your help so far. Usually when I ask questions about an old system, I get bombarded by people telling me to get a newer system. I have all three of them, and just recentely was able to actually pick up a GBA SP. However, I tend to gravitate more towards the older, wiser ;) systems, because they have the games that I play more than anything. Just give me a 2600 and "H.E.R.O.", and I'm a happy happy man. Sad and pathetic, but happy

Archived