IGNORED

Launch Edition?

Banquo

I noticed a while back that a lot of people have started doing this on ebay and it is getting more prevalent all the time. What is it with putting the phrase "launch edition" in their titles for their console auctions? Everything from the Magnavox Odyssey to the Xbox One.

Really misleading, and annoying. https://i.imgur.com/I8zzom3.jpg

Edited by Banquo
  • Like 2

I've seen that, too. Makes me want to slap the hell out those sellers, if for no other reason than it's another example of retroactively appropriating contemporary conventions to systems from a period those conventions didn't exist in, further muddying history.

(That wasn't supposed to sound so academic, but you get the point. :P)

• Like 3

(That wasn't supposed to sound so academic, but you get the point. :P)

How's this for academic:

"One is compelled to view this contextualized invocation of the 'launch edition' construct as an anachronistic, post-hoc appropriation and application of modern classification schemata to extra-categorical antecedents."

In other words, it's really fucking stupid.

• Like 3

I think it's to do with how we have a lot of "Launch Edition" stuff coming out now.

I'd say at least 3 out of every 5 new games have a "Launch Edition" that is initially released. They sometimes have extra content or a different case... Sometimes they just have the words "Launch Edition" on them.

It's so you feel special about your purchase although the words are meaningless.

Thus sellers are attaching that to their auctions in hopes of eliciting the same feelings maybe?

It's stupid regardless of any reasoning.

• Like 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it is stupid; things like this really irritate me. Especially when they put "launch edition" on the 2nd or 3rd revision of a console like the Genesis model 2, lol. It doesn't even make sense.

• Like 1

Launch edition isn't the resellers, or at least not currently. Maybe they got the ball rolling, but EBAY is slapping it on there. I've had it show up on stuff I've moved fairly recently and it put that on there, or when I searched it out it did it. I saw launch edition on both the normal and slim line versions of the PS1 and PS2 which is just stupid. It's an ebay deception that probably wasn't something they started but adopted as it gets fools to take more notice. In time it'll water down some as distrust settles in as people figure out it's bs.

• Like 1

Launch edition isn't the resellers, or at least not currently. Maybe they got the ball rolling, but EBAY is slapping it on there. I've had it show up on stuff I've moved fairly recently and it put that on there, or when I searched it out it did it. I saw launch edition on both the normal and slim line versions of the PS1 and PS2 which is just stupid. It's an ebay deception that probably wasn't something they started but adopted as it gets fools to take more notice. In time it'll water down some as distrust settles in as people figure out it's bs.

That's good to know. I was wondering why so many different sellers had started using it; seems like such an odd description to use.

Edited by Banquo

been selling stuff on ebay like mad, never had launch edition slapped on my listings

It's true, I just checked it out and started a new listing for "Atari 2600" and these are the recommendations ebay gave me.

ccBk3xL.jpg

Personally I rarely if ever choose the eBay templates but many people do so that would certainly explain this sudden phenomenon of "launch edition" listings.

I use their best match template just so it drops the general system information and review, plus the auction title, but I stop with that. I'll manually edit/enter everything else and that's how I caught on to that little gem of deceit.

I can give them a launch edition pass for the first iteration of any of their hardware, but it's also like how do you stop it otherwise or hold sellers due to idiocy accountable.

Look at the Playstation, how many models of any of their systems were there really? The original PS1 SCPH-XXXX had like 5-10 revisions before the slim PSone dropped and that one had like 3-5 itself. I don't think most people would be smart enough or care enough to look at the sticker and match that up to a launch unit. But I could see some crook or raving collectard use it as a weapon to get a discount or a free system gaming the system against a seller.

I've noticed this too and as a buyer I just take it as something new you have to ignore. As a seller, the annoying thing about it being Ebay's own templates is that people are going to see that and start adding it on their own even if Ebay *doesn't* suggest it. So eventually it'll just be expected by a lot of ignorant buyers. I'm probably going to end up having to add some kind of notice to my listings saying that "launch edition" listings are all BS, so don't worry about the fact that mine don't say that. Though some people probably won't believe that either. It becomes a your word against someone else's thing.

I've been in the market for a 2 port Atari 5200 model for a little while and there are tons of "Launch Edition" 2 port 5200's on Ebay... that's when I started wondering wtf was happening.

Ebay thinks doing that would get more money out of it

No ebay see's that as the most common listing and suggests it to you thus its a self feeding pile of crap

kind of like those listings where you see condition: used see description

and the description is

The Sega Game Gear is a portable Master System that can be carried along, everywhere you go. Powered by 3.58 MHz processor, this Sega handheld console delivers an excellent gaming performance. The well-sized screen on this portable gaming system brings out your games with rich colors and added intensity. Further, this Sega handheld console features a built-in game pad with two fire buttons, for added playability. Besides, this portable gaming system lets you play most of your favorite games like OutRun, Space Harrier, and others, no matter where you go. Interestingly, you can also use a TV tuner to watch television on the Sega Game Gear using its composite input. Product Highlights Video

useless

Edited by Osgeld

I agree that this retro-active "Launch Edition" tendency is garbage, deceptive, and wastes my time...

I just add (-"Launch Edition") I don't want to buy from sellers that allow this, or actually use this retro-actively.

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat

I've used launch edition on my stuff, if it honestly is so in all fairness. I just hate it being used as a blanket term.

Like the PS2 Slim I have up on here, once ebay does a freebie this month or when they reload next month it's the launch version of that as it's the original product code so if it pops it on there I'd leave it as it's not a lie... IF it fits within the description I want or it's out. It's more important to me to note a bundle with a couple memory cards, couple controllers, and 2 games than 'launch edition' with it as it is just filler in the end wasting space.

Maybe that's why? Enough people are computer dunces. They'll think they're out of room and pay the 50cents for the subtitle. :)

The video game market is 10-different kinds of fucked up these days it seems. Greedy sellers with little to no knowledge, and stupid buyers with even less knowledge perpetuate a broken system. As long as there are enough idiots willing to fork over cash for meaningless (and false) words like "Launch Edition", this kind of nonsense will continue.

I might (but probably wouldn't) use it if what I was selling was the first edition, first software revision of a system... like before any changes were made and it was the first version of that system available to the public. I wouldn't count things like "slim" models or, as I said, software revisions like the different Master System bioses or whatever. I also would use it if it says it on the packaging, like some games will have a special version called "Day One Version" or whatever... otherwise, I think other information would be more useful.

But I also understand that other people may have a different opinion about what it should and shouldn't include. I mean, technically, every different version of a console is at some point "launched"... But it does seem like meaningless filler to try to grab buyers... like ebay click bait.

Also, in some cases, it would be a deterrent... I mean, I don't know that I would want a "Launch Edition" XBox 360...

Well I was thinking about it, and for example if you have a PS3 with a firmware older than 2010, then you can install Linux on it easily. Well, it was true until someone found a way to do it again. So versions of consoles are more looked up for because they can have interest.

For example, Japanese MegaCD with the first version of the BIOS can be paired with any Megadrive/Genesis (Japan, of course, but also European, US and Asian regions) but not the later BIOS.

Even more strange, the MegaCD 2 have the same oddity, the first version can be paired with any region model but not the latter BIOS revision.

Plenty of examples like that.

If those words were used correctly, then when getting a Japanese Mega CD 1 or 2 "Launch edition" then you're sure to get one that will play anything and will play with any console you'll pair it with.

Edited by CatPix