IGNORED

Wifi modem! Telnet from any computer with a serial port

Vorticon

There is no escaping done ever.. It's just raw data packets. I have been selling the WiModem for the C64 for nearly 2 years and the first I had ever heard about Telnet was about 2 months ago when someone was trying to contact tty.sdf.org:23 and the terminal software just sat there and then hung up. It turns out tty.sdf.org sends a request for the terminal type. Once I supported it, you can log in no problem.

Edit: so I have looked into the Telnet a bit more and it seems that ONLY port 23 is suppose to be handled as a Telnet type connection. That makes sense because the only portals I have seen all have port 23 as their port. Everything else has no Telnet escaping at all.

I guess from the terminal emulator aspect, I've always seen the connections referred to as "Telnet" and long ago when I disabled the telnet mode on Heatwave, I had a number of "complaints" about transfers not working properly. So it seems that there is some escaping happening on ports other than 23, but in those cases it was probably the terminal emulator or a setting in the device people were using (like the UDS) that were creating these scenarios.

I think your Wimodem232 will function just fine once the escaping is done both directions.. However, based on the knowledge you have shared, I am now thinking about changing Heatwave's UDS to use a raw connection, and adding an option to escape 0xFF and support the Telnet ECHO and BINARY options for the clients that require it. I would do the same in my terminal emulator code. I need to do a bit more research and testing, as things are making much more sense now. Thank you.

We have a winner... I think! I logged on and was able to use Xmodem-CRC to download the COPY-C file in the utilities menu! I tried using Xmodem-1K and got some sync errors immediately. I re-started the transfer and it started transferring and then part way through the transfer, the connection hung up!

I called back and was able to download the TELCOARC file using Xmodem-1K (649 blocks in size - so, it's big). Now, here is the funny thing. I accidentally selected Ymodem-1K protocol with the Amiga terminal program and the download worked! I then downloaded it again using Xmodem-1K and that also worked. So, turning off escaping definitely works perfect.

Downloaded a bunch of files, including the test files in the Telnet directory. Those files came out correct.

Edited by JimDrew
  • Like 1

Thanks, Jim! That is great news. I'll leave Telnet mode off for the time being and look deeper into the root cause this weekend. If there are no major complaints or concerns from the primary callers, I'll most likely keep the UDS in this mode going forward. I'll get with Shift838 for some further testing once he moves Fusion BBS back to his own hardware so that we can stay in sync.

After reading a few BBS notes from other systems, I may follow the tcpser practice of sending the Telnet "WILL ECHO" command upon connection, to inhibit double character typing if a dumb Telnet client attaches. I can sort that out later.

(For UDS users: I changed the UDS-10 Disconnect Mode bit 6, Telnet Modem from '1' to '0'. This effectively disables the telnet escaping and commands).

Did a bit of sniffing tonight as people have been reporting problems connecting and using Heatwave.

The most severe issue so far has been with Putty. If a caller connects with the default configuration, the terminal automatically manages local echo and local line editing. Local echo causes a duplicate character to appear, however, local line editing causes the terminal to send the typed characters ONLY after <enter> is pressed. The terminal-side solution here is to turn both options off.

From the Heatwave side I implemented two Telnet commands to turn off local echo and suppress the half duplex/line editing. These two commands allowed me to log into the BBS. However, pressing ENTER didn't always work. The network trace showed the CR was being translated to CRLF. I found an option in Putty (Telnet options) to turn this off yet every time I press enter, a NULL is sent in place of the LF. The only way I could find to eliminate the null character is to force Putty to a raw connection. However, when I change to a raw connection, the echo and local line editing options are re-enabled.

I don't have a good sense for how other terminal emulators are handing Telnet versus raw connections. I do know that a number of people who connect are doing so expecting a Telnet connection. For now, the partial Telnet fix should at least allow people to connect until I can sort out whether to re-enable Telnet mode on Heatwave's UDS or make some other adjustments.

ok well I did some testing with telco and term80 on the TI with HDX modded rs232. Was frustrated for a bit until I remembered to enable interrupts again ;) This is testing with a straight through cable hooked to my black box 'auto cable" box that allows you to easily swap 2/3 and handshaking lines.

Telco; nothing at all.. I am thinking the Telco disk I am working with has issues.. will be trying other versions..

Term80; at lower baud rates worked great with wifi232 and wimodem232 both. At 19200 had dropped chars without hw handshaking enabled.

Greg

Ok i figured it out, the wire popped off the interrupt enable switch..no interrupts = no modem software working.. if you have the HDX mod you have to enable interrupts (by reconnecting the cut trace with a switch/jumper and some wires) to do that..

How did you configure the two cables? Do you have pinouts handy ?

• Like 1

How did you configure the two cables? Do you have pinouts handy ?

Yes it's the trace you cut near the backplane connector I usually lift the pin on the chip rather than cut the trace then solder the wire to that leg and the other where it came out of.. Or there's a easy via near the edge connector as well. I'll attach a picture when I get home ..done

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

31d4fccbe993d07407f59dd62f6d8479.jpg

Get a side port splitter and add a second P-Box.

Um where? Using a splitter for the 90degree turn already.. And my drives are out of the pbox as both started seek errors this weekend.. Not bad since I bought them at Fest West 1986.. Probably need cleaning and lubrucation..

b454c97e6f40e517dfdb78ccb1b884bf.jpg

• Like 2

https://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=WiModem232OLED

In stock!

Looks like it is out of stock again.

Just a FYI, the firmware for this device has seen 7 updates since early December. To update, go online and issue the following command:

AT*UPDATE <return>

Documentation for this is in the online pdf manual.

I believe this will reset the baud rate and require you to reconnect to a router. There have been 5 updates since I ordered mine that I just discovered when checking the website out.

Beery

• Like 1

Looks like it is out of stock again.

Just a FYI, the firmware for this device has seen 7 updates since early December. To update, go online and issue the following command:

AT*UPDATE <return>

Documentation for this is in the online pdf manual.

I believe this will reset the baud rate and require you to reconnect to a router. There have been 5 updates since I ordered mine that I just discovered when checking the website out.

Beery

He has the ones without the fancy oled display in stock still

ALL versions are now back in stock!

I have made a lot of changes recently because the WiModem232 works with numerous different computers, and each have a few quirks that I had to address. I have been shipping this same product for the C64 for nearly 2 years, so I didn't expect many changes would be needed, but that was not the case. So, as people report little issues, I am addressing them and making updates available. Updates are super easy for me - I just push the update and it automatically tells the WiModem232 to display that an update is available via the OLED and also when issuing the ATI command.

Edited by JimDrew
  • Like 6

What sort of power adapters are folks using with the wimodem232? I grabbed a standard phone charger with what I thought was the right connector and discovered the Wimodem232 has a slightly larger connector that I've not encountered before. I'm going to dig around in my cable boxes in case I have the right connector, but it caught me off guard.

What sort of power adapters are folks using with the wimodem232? I grabbed a standard phone charger with what I thought was the right connector and discovered the Wimodem232 has a slightly larger connector that I've not encountered before. I'm going to dig around in my cable boxes in case I have the right connector, but it caught me off guard.

AmazonBasics USB 2.0 Cable - A-Male to Mini-B - 6 Feet (1.8 Meters) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NH11N5A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_J0RwAbXH930ZP

I picked up the connector I needed at Walmart. They had only one package in all of their 200 offerings that worked. That particular package was a USB plug on one end and a multi 4-in-1 SUB cable adapter kit from "onn".

It had 6 pieces and is in a package about 8" by 4.5" in size. It has a retractable cable.

In my setup, I plugged it into the USB port of my router for power and plugged the other end of the cable with the adapter plug into the WiModem232.

​Beery

Thanks guys. I had to get out a magnifying glass... and eventually found a cable tucked away that I have paired with a small USB power adapter. I have so far successfully updated the firmware and connected to 9640newsBBS. I discovered that PORT .60 doesn't work at 300 baud, so I used my original MyTerm disk to get connected to the wimodem232. (I couldn't transfer the newer PORT to my BBS system because of the Telnet setting - lol)

Unfortunately, that single use of the disk trashed the magnetic media and the disk is no longer viable. I am pretty sure I have my serialized copy on an EZ135 platter. Fortunately, I changed the baud rate to 9600 and saved the config before exiting so I can try to get a newer version transferred over. I think I'll break for a late dinner before it becomes a midnight snack.

PS - I took Heatwave offline briefly to test the BBS cable and it allowed me to get online. In color mode Port's handshaking seemed to work, until I realized I had not turned it on at the modem side, meaning Port 0.60 is using interrupts in Color Ansi mode and is waiting for the transmission to end before displaying anything.

Edited by InsaneMultitasker
  • Like 1

PS - I took Heatwave offline briefly to test the BBS cable and it allowed me to get online. In color mode Port's handshaking seemed to work, until I realized I had not turned it on at the modem side, meaning Port 0.60 is using interrupts in Color Ansi mode and is waiting for the transmission to end before displaying anything.

Yeah, I saw some of that with Port in not non-color mode which was a bit more irritating at the lower baud rates wondering if a keypress was accepted when all of a sudden, the screen "popped" up with menu.

Beery