IGNORED

Champ Keypad Controller Adapter

Swami

I am looking into a 4-way gated joystick for pac-man and cold blood (on CV SGM) and looks to be 7800 controller is the closest to what I want. Does anyone know if the Champ Keyboard adapter for atari controller to colecovision supports 2 seperate fire buttons like a 7800 controller? I read somewhere on here that there may have been two different versions, one of which supports the 7800 fully. Does anyone know if there is a way to distinguish these two models from looking at them on the web (different model #, product number, etc.). Also, there is some comments it works the same as a y-splitter cord with a standard CV controller and atari joystick, although I don't know that the pinout for the second fire button will match.

Thanks

Electronic%20Fun%20v2n3%20Jan%2084%20-%2

Some of the champ adapters support only one fire button, and others support two. If you have the one fire button version, then you can solder a single jumper wire to make it a two button version. I don't think you can tell which version is which without testing to see if 2 buttons or 1 button works on it.

Some were shipped with one-button support. Later, some were modified to have two-button support. I believe Jim (NIAD) pointed out in an earlier thread, that some later Champ Adapters were shipped with the correct two-button configuration. A 20-second search just yielded that thread to me. :)

I have 3 of these. PM me if interested.

EDIT: there is also this thread kicked off by "imstarryeyed" that explains how to do the two-button mod if you receive a one-button config'd Champ.

Edited by phattyboombatty

Thanks for the info. I don't currently own a standard 7800 controller. I have sega ones with adapters that work on the 7800 but do weird things or nothing when I try to use by themselves or with a y-splitter computer 9-pin cable with a standard CV controller on the CV.

I think the only way to know is to open it up and look at the circuit board, should have an extra trace. Also, I'm not sure if it's just mine but I've noticed that the 2 button champs only work with other Champ two button joysticks but nothing else. At least that's been my experience.

champ.jpg

I'm not sure if it's just mine but I've noticed that the 2 button champs only work with other Champ two button joysticks but nothing else. At least that's been my experience.

That's not the case, but the support for two-button controllers plugged into the interface is a bit particular.

That's not the case, but the support for two-button controllers plugged into the interface is a bit particular.

Yeah I could never get any two buttons to work except for the Champ brand two buttons. When I plug in a 2 button it would only recognize one button.

Since the CV uses 9 pinouts to communicate 18 controller states, the CV is doing some data processing, so it seems like it could be different revisions of the CV, of the Champ adapter or the differences in joystick wiring that make 2-button joysticks work for different people.

So I received my 7800 Europad today and tested it out on the Colecovision with the Champ adapter and with a DS9 PC splitter cable. With the champ adapter, both buttons did the same thing (dropped bombs in Cosmic Avenger), with the y-splitter cable attached to a standard CV controller and the 7800 Europad, both buttons worked correctly (button one dropped bombs, button 2 fired). I then tried attaching my Blaster auto-fire module, but neither button worked. So, the $5 y-splitter worked better than the $30 champ adapter, but no rapid fire yet. Since I already have an extension cord on the console's controller sockets as socket savers, the shape of the PC cable was not a problem. It actually fir more snuggly to the extension cord and controller connection, which is great, since the extension cords tends to fit the controller a little too loosely.

• 4 years later...
On 6/18/2017 at 1:29 PM, phattyboombatty said:

Some were shipped with one-button support. Later, some were modified to have two-button support. I believe Jim (NIAD) pointed out in an earlier thread, that some later Champ Adapters were shipped with the correct two-button configuration. A 20-second search just yielded that thread to me. :)

I have 3 of these. PM me if interested.

EDIT: there is also this thread kicked off by "imstarryeyed" that explains how to do the two-button mod if you receive a one-button config'd Champ.

Looking for champ adapters with 2 button support. I saw this post indicating that you may have some available for sale?