IGNORED

ACA Neo Geo Over Top

Rick Dangerous

If I remember correctly of the 3 rally car games on the system Over Top is the best of the lot and most adored while Thrash Rally is the weakest of the bunch. It's a solid choice for hamster to thrown at the ACA wall at this time, that's for certain.

I do agree the NG titles are a really solid match and given the perks of how the system itself is designed it's a huge boon if you are alone or with a friend. Some games which just are quite long are made far more approachable too such as Neo Turf Masters which quite possibly is the best 2D style golf game designed that doesn't take itself Links/PGA (EA) Golf serious with licenses and real players.

Shock Troopers is a solid choice, but from memory stuff like NTM, Blazing Star, Garou Mark of the Wolves would be solid early choices to grab and have fun with. Also any of the Metal Slugs would be a given, and as a bonus since it's unique (and the very first NG game made too), NAM 1975 which is a third person scrolling gun game without the light gun (think SNES/PS4 re-release Wild Guns.)

I'd agree that Neo Drift Out is best, but this is a solid second.

And sadly, unlike Thrash Rally and Over Top, this one had vehicle licenses. I don't expect to see Hamster investing the effort to edit Neo Drift Out to make the vehicles generic, which basically means editing the vehicle select screen.

Edited by Atariboy

I'd agree that Neo Drift Out is best, but this is a solid second.

And sadly, unlike Thrash Rally and Over Top, this one had vehicle licenses. I don't expect to see Hamster investing the effort to edit Neo Drift Out to make the vehicles generic, which basically means editing the vehicle select screen.

Oh yeah, I forgot Drift Out had licensed vehicles. Hm, makes me wonder if we'll ever see it as an ACA then.

It mainly made more of an impact with me than Over Top because it's more in-your-face, arcade-like, if that makes any sense. Funny how the one called "Over Top" is the one that's actually less "over the top".

Spent some time playing this the other night.

It's pretty fast and hard to control out of the box (played as the motorcycle, not sure if thats true of other vehicles) but i'm sure with some practice it will become a little easier.

I was able to hang with and stay ahead of the competitors for a little while but once they got ahead of me I never saw them again...

Beautiful graphics on this title. The Neo Geo really does feel like a 24 bit machine :)

I know this is going to sound weird, but I almost feel like I'm being left out of the fun when it comes to the ACA on the Switch. I know I shouldn't because I have a real arcade cabinet, and I have the real carts either legit or via that 161in1 multicart, but still...something about it being Switch based just seems nice. I can't take big red on the road, at least not as easily as switch as it would require a bluetooth controller + Neo.EMU which is more of a hassle lugging a little controller that's not built onto it.

That said I'm wondering if I should bite on Garou Mark of the Wolves. It's on the 161in1 but I've read it's buggy/crash buggy or a beta, not sure which or if that's a mix up of that and SVC Chaos. Either way it's a $200 cart I haven't bitten on yet. Outside of a Super Dodgeball and Blazing Star full package (minus the box and bubble bag for the cart) I've never paid over $100 on a game to date. :P

Edited by Tanooki