IGNORED

IntelliXpander module

opcode

86 members have voted

1. 1. What design would work best for the IntelliXpander?

• Make it to match the original Intellivision design
    • Make it to match the Intellivision II design

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Since you're basing it around specs as ambitious as the Intellivision III, will the base hardware graphics and sound be used at all by the games?

I'd be more interested in Donkey Kong Jr than a fourth version of Donkey Kong, especially since the D2K games are already so good. Same goes for an upgraded version of Pac Man. I'd still like to see the base hardware do a version of Pac Man with whites in the eyes, but an external hardware based version is only going to feel inferior to Ms Pac Man.

If it's going to be comparable to NES, I'd rather see a version of Final Fantasy or Phantasy Star than another action game.

Even though we already have Princess Quest a version of Ghosts 'n Goblins with unique stages would still be nice.

True, Ms. Pacman is pretty awesome. with a ton of mazes.

It has outer edges cut off. ( cleverly done actually ). With the higher res, this would be corrected.

And Pacman Jr. right around the corner with scrolling mazes. I think I'd go with the SGM or original Pacman collection versions for the CV first.

Rick Dangerous demo already looks great, but may be a good candidate?

A nice version of Montezuma's Revenge could work well. I think I used to play the C64 version BITD.

( of course I would like a port and expanded/alternate layout to make it a fresh game. Though I can't remember any of the layout(s) right now anyway. )

Could be the next Sydney Hunter.... ;)

Too much? Yes? No? Can we go ahead?

EDIT:

I used the Intv III specs or less: 16 colors from 4096, 256 tiles or less (the 4KBx16 bit external GROM memory mentioned somewhere, which leads to 512 patterns for sprites and tiles), 8x8 tiles and 8x16 sprites with 4 colors each, 64 sprites on screen, 8 sprites/scanline maximum. Resolution for both is 256x192, just because the source material doesn't work well in 320x192, so I am actually using a windows.

The Mattel "Target Specifications" document says 2-colours for 16 pixel wide sprites and 4-colours for 8 pixel wide sprites. So two sprites would have to be used for most of the moving objects in your mockup. For Pacman that would mean eight sprites would be used for all four ghosts; and if Pacman and all four ghosts were on one line you'd lose half of one ghost. That's not too bad. Mario should be fine on a scanline with upto three barrels. Or you could go to a lower resolution mode for sprites and have one 4-colour sprite per object.

Background could be a problem. At 320 horizontal pixels and 20 horizontal tiles and 16-bit descriptions; tiles would have to be 2-colour and 16 pixels wide (black being a colour). To have 4-colour tiles with 16-bit descriptions, tiles would have to be 8 pixels wide; and with 20 horizontal tiles that would mean a total of 160 horizontal pixels. They would have to go to a 40x24 tile mode for full resolution 4-colour tiles. The specs mention tiled 40x24 alphanumeric and 20x24 graphics modes; and "40x24 graphics (goal)". Not sure if the 40x24 tile graphic "goal" is a technical issue or a cost issue.

Will this thing actually have 320/160 horizontal pixel resolution (rather than 256)? It could make it awkward porting your games. Objects would get compressed horizontally, unless you redo the graphics, making objects smaller; or use a lower resolution mode.

Does this thing do pixel scrolling, both horizontal and vertical?

What's the issue using the Intellivision pin 8 video input? The "System Changer" uses pin 2 on the Intellivision II; I always wondered why they didn't use pin 8.

edit:

Regarding games, I suggest remaking Intellivision games that had gameplay problems (eg. Mazeatron, Vectron), and improving gameplay (ie. make them fun). And then back-port it to standard Intellivision. The games that were good aren't necessarily going to be better by improving the graphics. Intellivision Productions already tried that with the "Gen2" Night Stalker, Astrosmash, and Shark Shark. (And Midway's arcade Tron isn't worth remaking.)

Edited by mr_me

Wouldn't it be cool to have a pack-in game that is a small selecting of Intv classics, just remade and improved? Let's say, 3 games, like TRON Deadly Discs, Shark Shark and Night Stalker? Perhaps we all would feel more comfortable starting with something familiar.

EDIT: and we can work on a FAQ, though making everybody happy may be hard. I am reading that in general terms people like the idea of the Intv III kind video, finding the proper balance of games seems to be the matter now.

• Like 3

Wouldn't it be cool to have a pack-in game that is a small selecting of Intv classics, just remade and improved? Let's say, 3 games, like TRON Deadly Discs, Shark Shark and Night Stalker? Perhaps we all would feel more comfortable starting with something familiar.

EDIT: and we can work on a FAQ, though making everybody happy may be hard. I am reading that in general terms people like the idea of the Intv III kind video, finding the proper balance of games seems to be the matter now.

I like this idea.

Will this unit include voice function or will we still need to use the intellivoice?

• Like 1

edit:

Regarding games, I suggest remaking Intellivision games that had gameplay problems (eg. Mazeatron, Vectron), and improving gameplay (ie. make them fun). And then back-port it to standard Intellivision. The games that were good aren't necessarily going to be better by improving the graphics. Intellivision Productions already tried that with the "Gen2" Night Stalker, Astrosmash, and Shark Shark. (And Midway's arcade Tron isn't worth remaking.)

The game play of some games may not be able to be saved?

However, as a TRON fan. I'd take any form of Tron we can get. True to the movies or Arcade Games. Discs of Tron can take advantage of the voice module.

and I think the number pad could be used to aim on the "break out" and tank and spiders. or use 2 discs?

I kind of like the 3 enhanced games as a packin. I have been pushing/hoping for Parsec! for the intellivision. Again, voice and "lift" settings. Could add enemy waves too.

I haven't been this pumped for an up coming product since the NDS announcement. That came up short, but I have high hopes for this!

Definitely like the idea of Goonies, Tron would be a big hit IMHO, Cloudy Mountain 2 would be top of my list for Inty upgrades/sequels, and given that Carl had given us great DK and Ms PAC Man, I'd actually prefer DK Jr as an arcade option.

Exactly all of of this for me! :) :thumbsup:

I've been holding back my opinion in regards to the horsepower of the IntelliXpander because I have felt conflicted. Part of me feels it is fine and part of me worries it is getting too powerful and won't be an Intellivision anymore. However, I am warming up to the idea of recreating the Inty III (based off of what few details we know).

If we have suggestions or ideas, is there a programmer's thread or is private messaging preferred?

I like this idea.

Will this unit include voice function or will we still need to use the intellivoice?

Excellent question. We included voice, but it isn't Intellivoice compatible, simply because there is no longer an Intv cartridge slot in the module, so you won't be able to play legacy games with it plugged in anyways.

I am a little nervous about the whole idea, and I wonder if a standalone would be a better idea.

• Like 1

However, as a TRON fan. I'd take any form of Tron we can get. True to the movies or Arcade Games. Discs of Tron can take advantage of the voice module.

and I think the number pad could be used to aim on the "break out" and tank and spiders. or use 2 discs?

I kind of like the 3 enhanced games as a packin. I have been pushing/hoping for Parsec! for the intellivision. Again, voice and "lift" settings. Could add enemy waves too.

I haven't been this pumped for an up coming product since the NDS announcement. That came up short, but I have high hopes for this!

We designed the cartridges in such a way we can save stuff now.

"We designed the cartridges in such a way we can save stuff now."

LOL, I don't know if you are joking or not? What I was saying is some games are just so bad, no modification can help!

Other games are so much fun, that blocks for graphics are perfectly fine.

Nice to know about saving though! Is it hi-score save or save state? or both!

Excellent question. We included voice, but it isn't Intellivoice compatible, simply because there is no longer an Intv cartridge slot in the module, so you won't be able to play legacy games with it plugged in anyways.

I am a little nervous about the whole idea, and I wonder if a standalone would be a better idea.

I've been thinking at what point have you created a new system, and not and upgrade? Maybe a new stand alone system would be better. Sounds like the current plan is to use the intellivision for it's power, controllers, and tv out. Kind of like the atari adapter, not a true upgrade.

"We designed the cartridges in such a way we can save stuff now."

LOL, I don't know if you are joking or not? What I was saying is some games are just so bad, no modification can help!

Other games are so much fun, that blocks for graphics are perfectly fine.

Nice to know about saving though! Is it hi-score save or save state? or both!

Oh, that saved! Lol! Sorry about that.

Both actually.

I've been thinking at what point have you created a new system, and not and upgrade? Maybe a new stand alone system would be better. Sounds like the current plan is to use the intellivision for it's power, controllers, and tv out. Kind of like the atari adapter, not a true upgrade.

So I guess we should go back to the drawing board...

Question is, who would be interested in a new standalone system?

I would be interested in a new system by you.. I love the idea of stable new hardware. I would just suggest going and using great parts so it can last for many decades. Changing out caps is no fun, de-soldering and re-soldering chips is a drag and that kind of thing. If the Intell controllers can be plugged in addition to new gamepad style, I would be very happy.

Again, the ability for new devs and aspiring game devs to have an environment to makes fun Basic games would be awesome as well.

I like working in retro BASIC for that quick effect, but see the value of compiled options to make bigger games.

Just my opinion..

I would be interested in a new system by you.. I love the idea of stable new hardware. I would just suggest going and using great parts so it can last for many decades. Changing out caps is no fun, de-soldering and re-soldering chips is a drag and that kind of thing. If the Intell controllers can be plugged in addition to new gamepad style, I would be very happy.

Again, the ability for new devs and aspiring game devs to have an environment to makes fun Basic games would be awesome as well.

I like working in retro BASIC for that quick effect, but see the value of compiled options to make bigger games.

Just my opinion..

The BASIC option is a nice idea indeed. The hardware we make is firmly grounded in the 80s tech. Personally I don't like FPGAs, Pis and the such.

It's almost time to revise the Opcode website.

What do you mean by that? What I am gauging is that people love the idea of an expansion module, just don't love if it improves too much. Back in the SGM days I would trust my instincts and go for it, but my finances aren't what they used to be, so I need to be careful now.