IGNORED

Coleco Mini return official?

RupanIII

57 members have voted

1. 1. Will You Buy a New Coleco Mini and Why?

• Yes, to Play
    • Yes, to Mod
    • Yes, as a gift
    • No
    • Wait and See.
    • Yes, to support PMP.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Rainbow Brite is a Mini release, and, Coleco says that it is one of two titles they are developing, the other will be a Mini as well.
It was also stated Rainbow Brite will be a downloadable game, I presume for PC as well.

https://www.facebook.com/ColecoToys/photos/a.1623318027945162.1073741828.1616402778636687/1928881980722097/?type=3

Edited by CPUWIZ

No. I assume that PMP will get paid for his work and buying this would only support Coleco, and I refuse to do that for obvious reasons. If I were to give any money to support PMP I would rather put together a crowd funding campaign to have him work on a project that we all actually WANT! ;)

• Like 9

While it would be fucked up to boycott the console and have a negative effect on PMP, the whole situation is fucked up and we didn't choose this. From what I can tell, this community has always been supportive of PMP and I think he knows that.

Their agreement is locked behind an NDA but here's why I don't think anyone should feel bad about not buying in to support PMP. If he got paid a flat fee, then hoooray, we don't have anything to feel bad about. If it was based on commission (which I feel is more likely) and if the console is a roaring success, then a few AtariAge members opting out isn't going to make a big difference anyways. But if the console fails and sales are so small that a few AtariAge members would make a huge difference in his cut, then their failure will probably be a bigger issue than us.

I have my doubts that they'll be able to market this thing successfully. And by "successfully" I mean- getting it anywhere outside of Jersey. Marketing something like this is a huge undertaking, locking in prime real estate front and center on store shelves nationwide is probably even more difficult than making the damn thing in the first place and I don't think they understand that. River West Brands seems to sit on trademarks and wait for someone else to invest the effort needed to bring them back. Mark my words- they're going to find out this brand dealing stuff is a lot harder than they thought it was going to be and if they can't even handle AtariAge, then god bless them, I hope their demise is swift and honorable.

• Like 4

If it was based on commission (which I feel is more likely) and if the console is a roaring success, then a few AtariAge members opting out isn't going to make a big difference anyways. But if the console fails and sales are so small that a few AtariAge members would make a huge difference in his cut, then their failure will probably be a bigger issue than us.

Two quick things about this:

1. If it is based on commission (which personally having done many deals myself in the games business I would never suggest this as you always want to get at least some sort of an advance against royalties) them PMP may just have to chalk that up to a learning experience on how to structure development deals moving forward.

2. That being said, I would rather set up a Go Fund Me to support the guy on a new project so that people don't have to buy a product they may not really want and instead take the money that they would use to buy the Coleco Mini and put it towards something better.

• Like 2

2. That being said, I would rather set up a Go Fund Me to support the guy on a new project so that people don't have to buy a product they may not really want and instead take the money that they would use to buy the Coleco Mini and put it towards something better.

I would rather he just do a sprite swap and sell a different game based on what he made for them. The game is his and he can't plagiarize himself. Who the hell here even wants a Rainbow Bright game anyways??

... that user with the Jason mask, please don't stab me.

• Like 7

I would rather he just do a sprite swap and sell a different game based on what he made for them. The game is his and he can't plagiarize himself. Who the hell here even wants a Rainbow Bright game anyways??

That's a GREAT idea! We would all pitch in to help get new artwork created for the game so Bob can re-release it without giving Coleco a penny.

• Like 2

Edit: Just in case it wasn't clear that this was a joke, I assure you that I have never really threatened the lives of anyone that is currently still alive.

• Like 5

Rainbow Brite is a Mini release, and, Coleco says that it is one of two titles they are developing, the other will be a Mini as well.

It was also stated Rainbow Brite will be a downloadable game, I presume for PC as well.

https://www.facebook.com/ColecoToys/photos/a.1623318027945162.1073741828.1616402778636687/1928881980722097/?type=3

Or Possibly phone/pad download.

NO, NO, A THOUSAND TIMES, NO. PMP will be just fine. There will always be other projects and opportunities in the future away from those leeches. Don't feel bad about not buying it. Furthermore, even if RWB/Cardillo's antics never existed, I still wouldn't buy it as I have no interest in Rainbow Brite. I'm sure PMP did a fine job with the development as he puts quality into his work, but it simply doesn't appeal to me.

I was never going to buy a Rainbow Brite game anyway, but Cardillo/RWB's bullshit makes it even more logical not to buy it. Shame on anybody who gives a single penny to them.

• Like 2

I wouldn't buy one but it isn't so much that Cardildo is a douche. It is more because when he asked us to play Mike Kennedy by starting with the Coleco Mini Tabletop shells(half the battle) and asking us what we would like to put in it I don't think many of us if any of us had in mind standalone homebrew games. At least not ones that contradict the original Coleco Mini Tabletop's identity by not being arcade ports. It just doesn't make sense to me. I could see Rainbow Brite making sense as a ColecoVision kids game like Cabbage Patch Kids: Adventures in the Park or in other carts for other systems but not in a tabletop. That just looks like a desperate move that makes it look like he is willing to put anything in the shells.

• Like 3

Not to dodge your question or anything but don't you think everyone would find this Closer cover more entertaining than the answer to your irrelevant question?

Dunno I am a bit mentally challenged at this time.

And it was not irrelevant just rhetorical, but then again I always confuse metaphor, metonymy, and synecdoche so don't take my word for it. :D

Outside of this forum, I'm like most people, in the sense that I live in a world where Coleco doesn't exist. I don't see or hear about it the TV, or while going through the local stores, or on the radio. I'm not connected to it through social media, and my friends, associates, and family, aren't talking about it, or seeing it either for that matter.

While I have an old Coleco system and some games in a box in the closet, it's not something that is in my daily life. Even if there is a product that has the Coleco name slapped on it in the local drug store, Wal Mart or, on Amazon, I've not noticed it. Coleco is dead to 99.99% of the human race and there is nothing that the new ownership of the name can do to make it relevant ever again.

It wasn't a big deal to start with, outside of Cabbage Patch dolls and I'm willing to bet most people who had one of those don't even remember the Coleco name. This new machine is going to flop, even if we all bought a hundred of them each. Us boycotting it won't make any difference, as there isn't enough value in the Coleco name to rely on that helping it sell profitable numbers, and there is enough low end crap game playing devices out on the market at every range of price points that are over saturating the market, so it isn't even a viable idea to release this thing no matter what can only get from Coleco games you put on it.

And seriously, Rainbow Brite... if that name was going to move merchandise an in any quantity, those ass hats wouldn't have never been let an license for it. A real company would be constantly churning out shit if there was a profit to be made on it. I would say maybe out of the .01 percent of people in the wild that care about know of or remember the Coleco brand, that less than .01% of them will give a shit about Rainbow Brite. That makes for a pretty whopping market in the real world.

Ten or fifteen years ago, bringing back the mini arcades would have been a thing, but with all the case and screen with a pi stuffed in it emulator systems a person can get, and the fact that so many people are carrying around a phone with veritable arcade worth of games at their finger tips if they so wish, makes this seem overly pointless.

Even if I wanted one, it's nothing I can't live without and I would rather be without it than offer my support to a bunch of crooks.

In short, Coleco is DEAD, Rainbow Brite is just as Dead, and outside of a few video game forums no one gives a rats ass.

Chris should go back to pushing counterfeit toys and dedicate his focus to only ruining one hobby for people, as there is probably more money to be made there than here.

• Like 5

Don't believe mini arcades are dead as I tried to tell Chris a bunch of times that people today moved onto to the so called Bar top size, and that the market is full of licensed arcades in the smaller size's which people only seem to buy at very cheap prices

Plus with phone apps you basically got to go big or go home

I wouldn't buy one but it isn't so much that Cardildo is a douche. It is more because when he asked us to play Mike Kennedy by starting with the Coleco Mini Tabletop shells(half the battle) and asking us what we would like to put in it I don't think many of us if any of us had in mind standalone homebrew games. At least not ones that contradict the original Coleco Mini Tabletop's identity by not being arcade ports. It just doesn't make sense to me. I could see Rainbow Brite making sense as a ColecoVision kids game like Cabbage Patch Kids: Adventures in the Park or in other carts for other systems but not in a tabletop. That just looks like a desperate move that makes it look like he is willing to put anything in the shells.

Quite possibly arcade IP is off the table so Chris Cardillo is trying to push homebrew for a franchise people at large have zero nostalgia for.