IGNORED

To what extent has your Switch retired your 3DS?

Rick Dangerous

I still bring my 3DS along quite a bit. Great, full e-shop on there. It does amaze me how primitive Mario Kart 7 seemed after playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the go...haha. I can see using both for a good long while but I will say my 3DS has been staying home more and has been fully off and on a shelf for longer than ever since I bought it since the switch came out. I used to walk around all day at work with my 3DS on hoping to get street pass tags, one of the cooler social features of that system I think.

What about you?

In the case of my kid (8 years old).. 100%. Switch is the only thing he takes in the car and his 3DS is idle and unused on his desk.

With me it's a wash.. I still use both. But then again I still play my GBA-SP2 the most.. the GBA Everdrive having a lot to do with it.

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

On a scale of 1 (totally used to it, no big deal) to 10 (sand in eyes annoying), how much does the little extra external bump of the Everdrive bug you when playing on your GBASP?

Bump? You mean how far the cart sticks out? It doesn't bug me at all.. It's actually much more discrete in comparison to say.. plugging in a regular GB/GBC cart. Or even worse, a game like Pokemon Pinball :)

post-31-0-11647900-1498056733_thumb.jpg

Edited by NE146
  • Like 2

Switch isn't the causal reason for mostly retiring my 3DS. The 3DS releases are what did it.

I look at my shelf right now and the last 2 newest games I possess would have been 3 but Senran Kagura sucked so I sold it, and the others are Hatsune Miku a music title, and Dragon Quest 7 which is so long I couldn't finish it (so I never bought 8.) My library of 3DS games are 50/50 Nintendo developed/3rd party developed so it's not a playing favorites thing. Upcoming there's Metroid and umm...nothing? 3DS retired itself as the games don't interest me. Couple that with my interest in Switch, PC gaming, and random retro handheld (GB famiy, NGPC, and even PSOne+LCD stuff) I don't have the time or money to bother if nothing demands being used.

• Like 1

Bump? You mean how far the cart sticks out? It doesn't bug me at all.. It's actually much more discrete in comparison to say.. plugging in a regular GB/GBC cart. Or even worse, a game like Pokemon Pinball :)

Your words make me want to get one, but your photo makes me want to wait until they can make it smaller. I'm in no great hurry to get back to my 15-year-old backlog anyway.

For me, to some extent the Switch has got me back into some of the 3DS titles. My son took over the 3DS for games like Yo Kai Watch and Pokemon but when he got his Switch, the 3DS became lonely... I started playing a couple games from a couple years ago and was kinda hooked. I saved a bunch of games for my son which he didn't care for and now that I'm replaying some of them, I'm happy I have them.

Don't get me wrong, when I pick up my own Switch, I will likely make the switch as well (full pun intended). But I will keep the 3DS for the new Metroid game and a small library of games on it that I really enjoy (Star Fox is a forever game in that library for me!).

• Like 2

For me, to some extent the Switch has got me back into some of the 3DS titles.

This has been my experience as well, but for a different reason. I got a 3DS late, and I never really took to it before. I have a few games but never played them much. But I love my Switch (despite the fact that it's about to be sent off for repair). It's made me excited about Nintendo again in general - it's the first "console" I've owned from them since the GameCube. And that's got me picking up my 3DS more again too, especially since I've only got one game for my Switch so far, so when I get tired of that I often pick up my 3DS to keep that Nintendo feeling going.

So for me it's a halo effect. Though I imagine over time as the game selection for Switch grows and new releases for the 3DS (or at least the number of games I care about playing) dwindle, I'll probably eventually move completely over to the Switch. But right now the Switch actually has me playing my 3DS more than I used to.

• 1 month later...

The Switch hasn't retired my 3DS as I stopped using my 3DS long before I got my Switch. The 3DS never caught on with me for the following reasons:

• Limited need of a portable game system. There just aren't that many times I'm away from home and have time to play a portable system
  • I keep comparing it to my PS Vita and the screen and the controls of the 3DS fall short.
  • My right hand starts to hurt when I use it if I'm playing anything that requires rapid pushing of buttons (shooters, action RPGs)

The 3DS has a great library and I know it is way more extensive and better than the Vita's. However, the Vita has a lot of quirky JRPGs, which is one of my favorite genres.

Now the Switch gets a lot of love from me. It mostly stays hooked to the TV, but I find it comfortable to hold and play as a portable as well. The screen looks great and the controls are nice. And of course there is Zelda, which has to be one of the most engrossing time sinks (in a good way) of a game there is.

Considering I mostly used my New 3DS XL for Binding of Isaac and there's a better Binding of Isaac on Switch, close to 100%. I really didn't play much on the 3DS outside of that game and the 3D classics series (and related).

Right now, my two oldest daughters are using it because they got into 3DS Animal Crossing and their two models of 3DS don't have the NFC reader built-in. I suspect if an Animal Crossing were ever released on the Switch, it would be lights out for the 3DS, although that would mean buying more Switch's I suppose.

You know if I didn't feel like I'd really be missing out on that one Metroid game, and perhaps some last life surge of goodies that may (will? will not?) happen I'd sell mine off. I don't use it. I sold my dozen DS games aside from FF3 off too. I faced reality, I prefer Game Boy branded goodies. My 3DS is pseudo retired, and the Switch I haven't touched in a month either because nothing has come out I'd like to toy around with which sucks as I enjoy it. Almost desperate enough to fire up Zelda and erase (hate they did that) my existing save.

My Switch has not retired my 3DS AT ALL. I still play my 3DS everyday to get my Badge Arcade fix, and I happen to be playing Cursed Castilla EX and Miitopia these days. On the other hand, I haven't touched my Switch a lot since I beat Mighty Gunvolt Burst a few weeks ago, mainly because I skipped both Arms and Splatoon 2 (I might get Arms later though). I recently bought Namco Museum but still haven't found the time to try it. :\

I like the Switch a lot, but I still prefer the 3DS because of 3D and the smaller form factor. As a matter of fact, except maybe the Game Boy Micro a few times, the 3DS is the only system I ever brought with me outside, mainly because of Streetpass. Since I've always prefered handhelds to consoles, I think the Switch is a great system but not the right successor to the 3DS (my favorite game system ever I think).

It may or may not be the right successor, but it's the only one as they claim to be a one system support company now once the stragglers (Wii/WiiU/3DS) die off. I would imagine they'd go as far as many a Switch Mini handheld where the controls don't pop off with a little bit smaller screen for portability sake if anything. Kind of like the old GB Micro which scaled back the GBA.

I skipped Arms and Splatoon as well because I didn't see $60 in value for either game as i'd never take them online. I did want Fate Extella, but then figured out it was a 'warriors' style game so that gets boring to me every time a few hours in so I passed. Cave Story I could get, but other than that it's looking forward into the months for more since Namco costs too much for digital only.

I'm looking at most likely later on RIME (if I don't buy it on GoG first out of spite), Sine Mora, Battle Chasers, Project Octopath, Elder Scrolls, Mario, that NGPC looking Pocket Rumble, and Tiny Barbarian. There's probably something else I'm forgetting, saw some interesting anime inspired stuff up on amazon listings.

N3DS for me is Metroid, and I skipped the River City sequel, Yoshi, and Ever Oasis as I figured the RPG I'd have no time for.

• 2 weeks later...