IGNORED

Sega Forever brings retro games to iOS and Android for free

OldSchoolRetroGamer

I love playing games on mobile -- yes, hard buttons are nicer, but it's the computer that's always with me.

A while back, in anticipation of this announcement, I downloaded my old purchases of the bunch of Sega Genesis games they've already released. Most of them haven't been updated in ages, but they still work in iOS 10. Just now, Phantasy Star II and Altered Beast were updated with the new logo and features, and 64-bit compatibility. I was prompted to restore my old purchases, which enable local and cloud saves, and take away non-SEGA advertising.

I just tried Altered Beast on iOS. It's a lot like the old version, with similar virtual controls locked to the screen. It plays fine though, and I'm happy to see old games getting updated and supported rather than dropped from the store.

Phantasy Star II might actually get some play now, since I should not need to worry about losing my progress.

I hope they do many more games like this, starting with the oldies they have not yet updated!

post-2410-0-33488500-1498064478_thumb.png

• Like 1

Well it's nice to see Sega finally embracing their history in a way they seemed almost afraid to do for many years, as if they were actually embarrassed about it. Guess they've finally realized that Nintendo's basically making a living off both reliving and rehashing their history, and Sega's got just as rich of one.

I probably won't play any of these on mobile because I frankly hate gaming on a phone, but I do like seeing Sega finally promoting themselves this way instead of constantly trying to update and reinvent themselves.

• Like 2

I probably won't play any of these on mobile because I frankly hate gaming on a phone, but I do like seeing Sega finally promoting themselves this way instead of constantly trying to update and reinvent themselves.

My sentiments exactly.

It's refreshing in a charming way for a company to revisit its past. All this re-inventing and game-changing new stuff doesn't always hit the mark. If fact it does so only 10% or 20% of the time it seems.

---

Just as I was getting all excited and ready to play Zaxxon I typed "Sega" into the app-store search box and I got a bunch of Sonic games that are free to try, and jam-packed with in-app purchases. So no.

Edited by Keatah

Super Hang On, as well. Both are perfect ports.

Yes, they're awesome, and in 3D if you dig that. M2 should make a console. Forget AtariBox and Sega Forever!

Final Freeway 2

http://oykgames.com/final-freeway-2r/

Final Freeway

http://oyatsukai.com/final-freeway/

Meanwhile, Sega Forever is getting hated on left and right. Ars Technica: Botched Sega Forever launch blighted by poor emulation

I'm more like this: Sega Forever: Why should you care?

• Like 1

Be nice if they did some sub-based service for PCs, Switch, or something. Not into phones.

They already had something like that for Steam, You purchase the game packs (or each Sonic game indivually) and play them through a frontend off the Steam client.

Anyone here actually played the Sega Forever games? How are they really like any issues with stuttering?

I've seen YouTube videos where the games themselves got good reviews in spite of the touch screen controls and ads...but every news articles out there trashed them saying "Well if they used Unity then it automatically sucks!" (Gah, I hate gaming journalism...)