IGNORED

Joysticks, which ones do you like and why? My 2 Cents.

RamrodHare

I think based on the majority so far, a Tac-2 is probably the way I should go, if I can find them for a decent price. I'm really hoping someone who knows about the Tac-2 and the Starfighter will jump in and tell me the joystick is just as good on one as it is on the other. If that happens, I'll be able to grab 2 Starfighter joysticks for the price of one Tac-2 and have them in hand in 3 days. If I have to hold out for the Tac-2, that's fine. Of course, I could go with what already works for me and pick up a set of CX-40s cheap and then put the Gold PCBs in them... It's a tough decision. icon_confused.gif

The Tac-2 and StarFighter are internally designed identical other than the extra button obviously. StarFighter is my preference.

The Epyx 500XJ is pretty decent, but I've been pretty fully converted to using a Sega Genesis pad. It has a good size and nice curves to hold on to, without sharp corners; though the edges on the D-pad start to irritate my thumb a bit if I'm playing something particularly intense like Millipede.

That was the first thing I did when I got the 2600 was plug in a Genesis pad. Good times...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/200515-is-it-blasphemy-to-use-a-stock-genesismegadrive-controller-with-the-vcs/

Then I built a real joystick and never looked back. I built a few more and well now I'm just a joystick junkie. :P

Basically any sturdy box is a candidate for joystick conversion! :grin:

post-33189-0-38333700-1481075851.jpg

My 2600 Proline just arrived from Jin. I decided to lay everything out for photo op and came to the realization that I am officially a joystick junkie. Well anyway the first step towards recovery is admitting you have a problem. I kid; I kid... :P

attachicon.gifToo Many Joysticks Medium.JPG

Front row (left to right): CX-40, Arcade Forge Black Retro Joystick**, "One Hit Wonder" single button*, Atari Quick Shot, NES Quick Shot, dual function 7800 / SMS cigar box*

2nd row: 10x6x4.5" MDF 7800*, 8x8x4" plywood 2600 w/ Paddles*, "Pink Panther" cigar box*, Starplex cigar box*,

3rd row: NES Advantage, Emio Edge Joystick (CC to NES conversion mod WIP), Super Advantage, 3-button Sega Arcade Stick

4th row: 20x8x4" plywood NES controller w/ turbo*, 20x8x4" plywood SNES controller*

5th row: Atari 2600 Proline Joystick (originally commissioned by Jin of AtariAge)**, "Eight Ball" Retro Built Games Fight Stick v3***, Retro Built Games Porta Pi MAME cabinet***

[no asterisk] Commercial product.

*Designed and assembled by myself.

**Designed and assembled by a third party.

***DIY kit designed by third party, assembled by myself.

• Like 2

I like my CX40s, Slik-Stiks, TAC-2s, Quickshots (some of which are Archer-branded), and Kraft Aces. Note that I said "my;" no two CX40s are alike. Ditto for other dome switch activated joysticks like the Quickshot I, Kraft Ace, Gemstick, etc. If I had time, I'd microswitch mod them all, though. Love that clickiness.

I think the Video Arcade II controller is *thisclose* to being a really good (or at least relatively good) controller. Just needs some tactile feedback and less stiff/more responsive fire buttons.

So far I've been given quite a bit to think about when making my next joystick purchase. It's really looking like it will be the Tac-2, but with the prices I've been seeing, I might start off with the Starfighter or Slik Stik. Of course there's still the option to build my own, which brings up a whole new range of options, such as which stick and what buttons, so I don't even want to get into that right now. :-D

So far I've been given quite a bit to think about when making my next joystick purchase. It's really looking like it will be the Tac-2, but with the prices I've been seeing, I might start off with the Starfighter or Slik Stik. Of course there's still the option to build my own, which brings up a whole new range of options, such as which stick and what buttons, so I don't even want to get into that right now. :-D

Do it. Building joysticks can become an addiction! Almost any small box can be converted... :grin:

Different games work better with different controllers, so it's good to have a few different styles on hand. I've been using this one the most lately, and it's great for Pole Position.

I like the look of that one!

I just got an "ACE" joystick today. It looks like a generic version of the cx40s. I tore it down and cleaned it after I tested it. The insides are VERY similar to the CX40, but the inner handle is black and instead of having an indentation in the center, it has a rounded knob. The indent is in the lower body, so it's reversed when compared to a CX40. The pcbs look almost the same, except the wires are soldered on. The fire button is much larger too. It has a long throw and isn't super responsive, but it's not terrible. I also got 3 more CX40s today, one needed a new inner handle and one needed a new boot. I had both parts on hand, so it wasn't a big deal to get them looking and working good. I did find that one of them had a different PCB in it. It's a different color, dark brown, with no writing at all. The traces on it are copper colored, with silver domes. I replace it with one of the factory ones I had on hand, just because I wasn't sure about one of the domes on it. I don't know if it was an aftermarket PCB from years ago, or what. It's the first time I've ran into a PCB like it. I also got another set of Atari Paddles, which I tore down and cleaned. Now they are working great.

I'm still actively looking for some other controllers to try out, so keep the suggestions coming!

Oh, one last thing, I was given a nice box for a Quickshot I. It still has the Hills price sticker on it. $3.47, new! :-o I don't know what year that was, but It would be awesome if we could still get new joysticks for that price today. :-D

I'm tempted to get one of them to put in the box just to keep on a shelf.

I have two favorites. I like the "Competition Pro`s" (the ones with the spring and also the ones with the rubber around the shaft) and i also like the Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT arcade-steering-unit.

The Competitions are solid, precise in steering, have a nice back-pressure which i like and holds nicely in one`s hand. Models like the "Competition Pro Star" also have good autofire-options. It has an automatic autofire, which shoots without that the player needs to press a button and which can be overriden when the player press and hold the firebutton (important in some shooting-games to make a megashoot while the autofire is activated). And it also has a little triangle-button, which produces an autofire as long as the player holds the button.

The Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT is very solid (almost undestroyable in normal playing), very precise in steering and nearly every part can be replaced by a little different part. The user can buy bigger or smaller actuator, other restrictor, shaft-extension, different grips like bat-top, balltop and so on. Every player can built his own unique stick according to their preferences. But the steering-quality itself, always stays superb. Okay, some arcade-parts are not cheap, but therefore they are of superb quality. Only problem is, that a case must be found or built by the user itself. Some can be found in the internet, even some smaller cases with sizes similar to the Competition Pro. For example, when you look above in this thread to the picture of KOSMIC STARDUST with all the controllers, then you can see the "Arcade Forge Black Retro Joystick". This one has the mentioned Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT steering-unit inside. I also have one of these cases, but with other colors and some reworks was necessary when it arrived here from Arcade Forge. But now i am satisfied with it.

Edited by AW127
  • Like 1

I have two favorites. I like the "Competition Pro`s" (the ones with the spring and also the ones with the rubber around the shaft) and i also like the Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT arcade-steering-unit.

The Competitions are solid, precise in steering, have a nice back-pressure which i like and holds nicely in one`s hand. Models like the "Competition Pro Star" also have good autofire-options. It has an automatic autofire, which shoots without that the player needs to press a button and which can be overriden when the player press and hold the firebutton (important in some shooting-games to make a megashoot while the autofire is activated). And it also has a little triangle-button, which produces an autofire as long as the player holds the button.

The Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT is very solid (almost undestroyable in normal playing), very precise in steering and nearly every part can be replaced by a little different part. The user can buy bigger or smaller actuator, other restrictor, shaft-extension, different grips like bat-top, balltop and so on. Every player can built his own unique stick according to their preferences. But the steering-quality itself, always stays superb. Okay, some arcade-parts are not cheap, but therefore they are of superb quality. Only problem is, that a case must be found or built by the user itself. Some can be found in the internet, even some smaller cases with sizes similar to the Competition Pro. For example, when you look above in this thread to the picture of KOSMIC STARDUST with all the controllers, then you can see the "Arcade Forge Black Retro Joystick". This one has the mentioned Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT steering-unit inside. I also have one of these cases, but with other colors and some reworks was necessary when it arrived here from Arcade Forge. But now i am satisfied with it.

+1. Pro joysticks are expensive compared to handheld sticks but there is no comparison. The Sanwas are highly customizable. I also own a few Competitions with balltop mods. They are nice but tend to rebound a bit.

• Like 1

I hate all joysticks except custom laptop arcade fightsticks and flight controllers. 8-ways suck for maze games, 4-ways suck for everything else. Pretty much everything is 8-way unless it's arcade quality. Can't find a 4-way flight controller arcade or not, except maybe arcade TRONs, so you have to customize it or spend a lot. Of the standard controllers, I like the CX-40 best, but it cramps my thumb on the heavy auto-fire games, unless I cheat with an adapter. Suncom slik stick is 3rd. Then probably SMS master controller, except the cubiod "ball" is too big. I'm always at my grouchiest on Friday afternoons.

I hate all joysticks except custom laptop arcade fightsticks and flight controllers. 8-ways suck for maze games, 4-ways suck for everything else. Pretty much everything is 8-way unless it's arcade quality. Can't find a 4-way flight controller arcade or not, except maybe arcade TRONs, so you have to customize it or spend a lot. Of the standard controllers, I like the CX-40 best, but it cramps my thumb on the heavy auto-fire games, unless I cheat with an adapter. Suncom slik stick is 3rd. Then probably SMS master controller, except the cubiod "ball" is too big. I'm always at my grouchiest on Friday afternoons.

FYI, my Robotron stick comes with adjustable restrictor gates. So you can select 8-way or 4-way. 30 seconds with a Phillips screwdriver to change over. ;-)
  • Like 1

I'm noticing that a lot of people use different joysticks/controllers, based on the game they play. I can understand how that works in theory, but I haven't been able to tell a difference personally.

The 8-way vs 4-way, Yeah. I get that, of course. :-D

However, If I play one game fine with a CX40, chances are the next game I play, I'll do good with the CX40 again. I've never found a situation where I wanted to use the Wico bat on one game and a CX40 on the next. Maybe I need to try different combinations and see if I find a game where I feel a different joystick just works better. I'm not doubting that it happens, it's just never happened to me.

I just have to stay focused when it comes to how much I spend on Atari related stuff. I'm trying not to get caught up in "collecting" joysticks. I already have quite a few that I don't use, but I think I'll give them all another shot on a few different games before I decide to sell them, just in case one of them does somehow improve my abilities on a certain game.. I'm still going to keep looking for a few others to try out (Tac-2, Comp. Pro, Slik Stik, etc.) and at some point, I'll probably end up building a custom setup, that I'll rarely use.. :P

That was the first thing I did when I got the 2600 was plug in a Genesis pad. Good times...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/200515-is-it-blasphemy-to-use-a-stock-genesismegadrive-controller-with-the-vcs/

Then I built a real joystick and never looked back. I built a few more and well now I'm just a joystick junkie. :P

Basically any sturdy box is a candidate for joystick conversion! :grin:

post-33189-0-38333700-1481075851.jpg

I believe the third from the left in the front row is the "Easy Button" :lolblue:

• Like 2

I believe the third from the left in the front row is the "Easy Button" :lolblue:

I'm guessing that one is great for Wall Jump Ninja. :-D

I've done some modding on the "ACE" joystick to tighten it up a bit. It's actually not that bad at all... I did a little research and it seems these were made by Kraft, even though they don't say it anywhere. The inner handle on it is a lot better than the CX-40s, but sadly, it's not interchangable. I had some "conveyor belt" patching tape and I cut some small squares of it and put two layers on each dome switch on the PCB. The stuff won't come off no matter what and it's just the right combination of solid and flexible. The Ace stick is now as responsive or better than a factory CX-40! It's also very ergonomic, due to the smaller base with really rounded edges. I'm ready to build a nice joystick now, but I've got to take care of some more pressing matters before I can spend any more money. I've got to save up enough for a UAV board for my 2600 and after that, I've got meds and bills due. Once I get that taken care of, I'll be shopping for joystick components. :P

• Like 1

I'm guessing that one is great for Wall Jump Ninja. :-D

I built this controller specifically for Wall Jump Ninja and Jump VCS. :grin: :thumbsup:

Flappy should work in principal but the 2600 port requires a lot more continuous mashing unlike the original, so the extra large 60mm light up arcade button (which I modded with softer spring and switch) has a bit too much mass in the plunger part, making rapid fire tiring...

post-33189-0-93022800-1478834641.jpg

More info:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258898-single-button-games/

I thought about adding a SPST toggle switch internally to allow it to work with Canyon Bomber (which uses the left paddle trigger or Joystick right) but never got around to it. Canyon bomber IMO is an extremely boring game...

I found this guy yesterday for a buck....always enjoyed it's build quality/accuracy back in the day. Opened it up for a thorough cleaning, and the insides looked (and smelled) factory fresh. Doesn't seem like it was used very much. :thumbsup:

post-61233-0-93794100-1499623565_thumb.jpg

I prefer the cherry red 'baseball bat' Wico sticks, but this one is solid as well.

I built this controller specifically for Wall Jump Ninja and Jump VCS. :grin: :thumbsup:Flappy should work in principal but the 2600 port requires a lot more continuous mashing unlike the original, so the extra large 60mm light up arcade button (which I modded with softer spring and switch) has a bit too much mass in the plunger part, making rapid fire tiring...post-33189-0-93022800-1478834641.jpgMore info:http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258898-single-button-games/I thought about adding a SPST toggle switch internally to allow it to work with Canyon Bomber (which uses the left paddle trigger or Joystick right) but never got around to it. Canyon bomber IMO is an extremely boring game...

Haha, this reminds me on the great "Ren and Stimpy" episode in which Stimpy can not avoid to press the red button which destroys the world. Look here :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHy8kW632dE

• Like 1

Haha, this reminds me on the great "Ren and Stimpy" episode in which Stimpy can not avoid to press the red button which destroys the world. Look here :)

But mine glows!!! :lust:

I think it would be fun to mount a button like this in a public place and put a sign above it "DO NOT PUSH RED BUTTON" with a hidden camera. Then have a siren go off or something followed by clapping and other wacky and hilarious sound effects.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Best Electronics gold joysticks. They are good joysticks. However, I play a lot of 7800 Centipede and the CX-40s just don't respond fast enough for that game. Therefore, I use Tac-2 joysticks. The response is better than the CX-40 and they are just good all around joysticks for the Atari 2600.

I can't recommend this enough...get 7800 Centipede-TB from the AtariAge Store and trade in those joysticks for a CX22 or CX80 Trak-Ball Controller.

• Like 1