IGNORED

Joysticks, which ones do you like and why? My 2 Cents.

RamrodHare

I can't recommend this enough...get 7800 Centipede-TB from the AtariAge Store and trade in those joysticks for a CX22 or CX80 Trak-Ball Controller.

I will probably try that sometime, but for now I like the joysticks. The video Game Critic seems to think joysticks are the way to go.

http://videogamecritic.com/7800ae.htm?e=79158#rev563

I will probably try that sometime, but for now I like the joysticks. The video Game Critic seems to think joysticks are the way to go.

http://videogamecritic.com/7800ae.htm?e=79158#rev563

Out of context. That review was for the original 7800 game, not the trackball hacked version. :roll:

Wake me when Video Game Critic reviews Centipede TB. He's been known to do homebrews from time to time.

I'm surprised to find I like a gemstick I got as part of a bundle. The shape is small and curved enough and the fire button big enough that I can cup my left hand around the edge and have my thumb flat across the top, which seems to greatly reduce thumb cramp compared to the CX-40 and some others (I know, I'm an old decrepit).It also has a wicked-short twitch distance on the joystick without false moves, except, of course, for a lot of 4-way games, like the pacs, where it still blows.

• Like 1

I'm still happy with my rebuilt CX-40s. :-D

I've also been tinkering with some of my other joysticks.

I've tightened the stick on my Kraft ACE joystick and it has a very short throw now, but I'm still not completely happy with it. I don't know what it is about it. I haven't got around to messing with my Epyx 500XJs . I know they are good joysticks, if I can ever find the time to play with them.

My Wico Command Control (Bat handle) is still sitting in it's box on a shelf in my bedroom. I want to like it, but I just can't do it. I've been buying up every CX-40 I run into and I have a nice collection of them now. I'll probably end up modding a couple of them with microswitches, just to see how well that works. I do wish I still had the Atari Trackball that I let go. I hadn't joined the forums yet, so I had no idea that there were games I could use it with. Maybe I'll run into another one sometime. I'd still like to have a nice set of Competition Pros, but it's going to be a while before I'll have any spending money again. It is nice to see this thread is staying alive. I enjoy reading what controls other people like using. :thumbsup:

• 8 months later...

BEST Gold upgraded CX-40's for me and by a long shot. The CX-40 is an all around near perfect controller IMO. The throw is just right, firing with your thumb is more than comfortable enough (even for extended playing) and most importantly: the stick is ideally suited for both 4 and 8-way play without having to putz around with restrictor plates, etc.

Those Epyx 500's are an obnoxiously noisy and sloppy mess comparatively. Fire button position gets tiresome quickly and the joystick is terrible for maze games IMO.

Competition Pro's that use microswitches... yeah, no. Sure, they're kinda comfortable. They're mostly accurate - but the noise! Be sure to turn up the sound on your monitor when using them, unless you like the click, Click, CLICKY - tick, Tick, TICKY LOUD sounds they produce. I'll take the leaf switch variety any day.

Wico sticks feel great at first, but soon realize you're putting too much effort wielding such a tall stick. Throw is too long as a result. Love the fire button action though.

Tac-2's are nice for a while also. They at least got the correct height of the stick down and the ball is comfortable, but the problem I've experienced with them is that they need to be in perfect shape. Otherwise, accuracy suffers as button presses or joystick movements don't always register. Not exactly what you want to experience in a controller.

I recently replaced the innards of my CX-24's with BEST's Gold boards and while it made a big difference in sensitivity (nice tactile feel with a better throw), they're still not comparable to the CX-40's or even control pads modified to work with the 7800. My favorite 2-button controller to use with the 7800 now is a Jaguar pad, but you need a couple of adapters before it'll work. Edladdin's Seagull78 and BEST's Jag pad to Atari adapter. Jaguar pad feels much more comfortable to me than a modified NES pad, so am glad I discovered this combo.

I grew up playing with a Spectravideo controller that seemed great at the time. Today, I find it's a PITA to use. Same with Pointmasters, of the Discwasher brand - the company that popularized that iconic wooden handheld felt cleaner for LP's. Will have to open my SV stick to see what's going on. Feels like it's aged... stick is stiff, throw is too long, fire buttons stick and the whole thing is just plain unresponsive.

Those tiny Amiga joysticks are kind of nice for what they are. Fire buttons nice and springy and the joystick is responsive enough. More of a novelty today though as I'd rather use a CX-40 in all cases and for all games that don't require a paddle. ;)

• Like 2