IGNORED

RGB 9-pin Female to Female adapter

I have a 800xl, MIST, and C64 with cables to end with scart, then a scart female to 9 pin RGB (and stereo cables) to connect my old CRT Commodore monitors. Only issue is my RGB cable is male and I have two monitors - one with male pin in and one with female, so I can only use the latter. The easiest fix would be a small RGB female/female adapter for the other monitor so I don't need more cables. CANT FIND ANY ON EBAY/AMAZON/retro shops online! I see similar 9pin adapters on Amazon but they state for serial or Null modem and unsure if they'd work. Attached is a pic SIMILAR to what I'm looking for.

Anyone have a surefire solution or link? Thanks!

post-46654-0-86318400-1498150022_thumb.jpg

Edited by seastalker

Arrgh. Just tested my first monitor with the correct gender input. No video whatsoever when switching to RGB input. I'm not expecting full RGB signal from an at best a S-video signal coming through scart, I did think I'd see SOME image though. We will see what happens with the MIST.

The 800XL at least (or any atari 8-bit computer) does not natively output direct RGB, only Composite, Luma and Chroma. I don't think Bryan's UAV board does RGB, just better Composite, Luma and Chroma, but the VBXE ugprade board definitely will, but thats a significant mod...

• Like 1

I think I incorrectly assumed: though it wouldn't be output as RGB (or upscaled), I would get the best (or great, or ANY) Composite or S-Video signal out of the Scart cable. I also just tried my MIST computer, set to scandoubler=1 and can't even get the main menu core to show up, let alone any cores that support 15kh. Maybe my RGB mode on this monitor is just plain broken. Guess I'll wait for my adapter to come in and try this again on my other monitor. I am losing all faith in this RGB stuff.

I'm from Canada and we don't use SCART, but from what I know it's just a passive connector. It has pins for all kinds of types of video, but any particular device may use one or some subset of them. If your monitor does only RGB, you'll still need something to convert another type of video source to that...

I have a Commodore 1084S and 1902 monitor which have S-video via chroma/luma inputs and RGB. The chroma/luma has been working fine unless I'm seeing Composite only from my C64 and 800xl without knowing it. I can't see why the monitors would function with one input but not in RGB mode. I bought the following setup to work with both monitors:

PHILIPS CM8833 MKII RGB MONITOR TO SCART ADAPTER CABLE

Your linked Amazon gender changer item for the 1902 monitor to also work with this cable (haven't received adapter yet)

The above would plug into the back of the monitors to allow input from:

From http://www.retrocomputershack.com/I bought a Commodore CBVS A/V cable that is 5 pin to male scart

Lotharek's RGB output cable for MIST

Toggling to the RGB input provides a black screen on the 1084s when using the 800xl and C64 with the retroshack cable- same result with Lotharek cable with MIST with scandoubler=1

This is SUCH BS. What is one to do to actually get this RGB nonsense up and running? Got my new adapter in the mail today and nothing works (no fault of Nezgar- I DO appreciate the help). I have purchased THREE cheap Chinese Scart to HDMI converters. TWO didn't work at all and one "works" with major electrical buzz noise rendering it useless. I bought all the gear mentioned in the last post, and female to female RCA audio converters, etc. NOT ONE CONFIGURATION WORKS! Neither Commodore monitor's RGB works with the MIST with scandoubler=0 on multiple cores. My C64 and Atari 800xl show NOTHING when connected by scart to hdmi nor my new female scart-> to Commodore monitor cable. Not even Composite/S-video through SCART. I think I must finally give up on this RGB crap. I'm sure its great for others. No way I'm risking buying a Framemeister and PVM monitor when the basics just don't work for me. I'm no noob at advanced computing and have some soldering skills. So frustrated at the wasted time and money right now. I sense a fire sale coming soon. Thanks to anyone who read this rant.

I would try to stick with a direct connection from the Atari to the RCA jacks on the monitors for Composite/Luma/Chroma/Audio. A cable like this breaks out those 4 signals from an Atari 8-bit or Commodore 64. I think both the commodore 1084 and 1902 monitors have direct RCA jacks for that.

All this converting youre doing between Composite/SVideo>Scart>RGB seems too complicated to me...